Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 7:32 am

I believe I am type 4.

Quote:
Gender - equally males and females
I'm female.

Quote:
Extremely passive and quiet in social situations, don't like to chat or do small talk
I get really shy in most social situations and can only do small talk if somebody seems interested in talking to me.
Quote:
Don't engage with or initiate conversation with others, unless questions are asked (and in which case they give a short, to the point answer and don't continue the conversation unless it's about an interest)
Yes, I'm not much of a talker, more of a listener.
Quote:
Lack of emotional expression, tend to present as neutral/"blank"
Hmm, not too sure about this one. When I'm nervous of someone or feel patronised, I can sometimes be like this.
Quote:
Don't have unusual body language (though can appear distracted at times)/can make eye contact
I generally display normal body language and can make eye contact.
Quote:
Tone of voice less unusual than other types, though may have unclear speech
Yes, and I can sometimes mumble.
Quote:
Has interests, but you have to ask about them in order for them to talk about them.
I have learnt to keep my special interests to myself, because I have lost friends in the past because of freaking them out by being too obsessed about one thing.
Quote:
If asked about interests, able to have an NT-like back and forth conversation about them
Yes. I try not to make it obvious that I am obsessed, but I like to make it clear that I am casually interested.
Quote:
Least likely to be open about AS than other types, often ashamed of it
Yes, I have always been ashamed or embarrassed about telling people. I have always been angry about having it, and in denial to friends.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 7:47 am

I really like this cathegory and observing behavior thing. really. :)

Quote:
I've realized recently that I'm an extremely analytical person who loves finding patterns out of huge amounts of information [...] This is also coming from someone who is fascinated with human social behaviour

I am like that too.

hmm but I would say I don't fit in any of the types, and not even mixtures of them. I think there should be a cathegory for those more sensitive and creative. Like Dhp and me.
I want to help to improve the model so here are my characteristics based on your descriptions of the other types:
-logical and like to explore topics and have theoretical/academic interests
-emotional and empathetic
-appropriate body language but trouble reading others
-very creative
-very sensitive and emotionally sensitive
-passive in social interactions, don't initiate conversation
-either in a very quiet mood or very agitated
-don't bring special interest to conversation, if it is a topic then talk nonstop
-childlike qualities and voice
-wavering eye contact
-don't have rigid routine but hates change of plans
-"philosophical" thinker, over analytical
-appear distracted (too focused on something else, like own thoughts)
-above average intelligence
-interest in people and wanting to be part of a group
-polite and passive, not bossy or controlling

maybe this is type 1(logical) + type 4(passive) + sensitive and emotional?
anyway, there should be a cathegory for sensitive folks! I met many people in wp like that and no type addresses being sensitive or emotional or creative or empathetic or intuitive.

Last edited by linatet on 29 Apr 2014, 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 9:56 am

#5 Describes me almost exactly

EDIT: after more thought, I actually think I'm more of an outgoing/more sociable version of what Linatet described.

Last edited by ImeldaJace on 29 Apr 2014, 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CWA
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 10:03 am

I like that you included a special subtype (#6) just for yourself and then didn't open it up for voting. Each of those is a mishmash of various ASD traits. I can't fit myself, or my daughter into any of them...

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 11:51 am

I can identify with Type 1 the best, although I act like a Type 4 in certain situations (e.g. office setting) to my detriment, actually. I think I'm also a little bit of Type 5.

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

slave
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 12:55 pm

anneurysm wrote:
I've realized recently that I'm an extremely analytical person who loves finding patterns out of huge amounts of information. As someone who has met and gotten to know tons of people with ASD in person, I've noticed that there are distinct subtypes in the way they present themselves to others. The people with ASD that I've known/met tend to fit well into one of these six categories, with only one or two I know qualifying for multiple categories. Maybe with a bigger sample size, there would be even more subtypes, but these are the ones I tend to see repeatedly.

This is also coming from someone who is fascinated with human social behaviour: particularly the differences between people with ASD and NTs, and has learned to be adept at reading others. Another reason I have created this is that NTs and the media tend to stereotype what ASD actually looks like, and perhaps looking at subtypes could help NTs better see the range of ways that ASD can present. I've noticed that people of all neurotypes tend to like things in order/categories and until NT is fully accepting of differences, we have to start somewhere in conveying that there are subtleties in the way people with ASD come across.

I don't think any of these types are necessarily superior or inferior than the other - they do have a huge range of variation/functioning levels within the types. All seem to have common strengths/weaknesses/however you look at them.

So, here are the subtypes I've created: what I'm wondering is which type the users here tend to lean towards.

**Edit - these are a little biased and not all of the possible types as I have mostly met people with HFA/Aspergers and not many with classic autism. There are probably other types out there that reflect other presentations of the spectrum - if you don't fit into any of these types, feel free to list how you present below**

Type #1
More obviously ASD than the other types (in my opinion)/NTs are more likely to notice something different/"off" than the other types
Present as very serious. Don't do small talk and avoid social niceties.
Extremely logical, love to debate and explore topics - interests are always theoretical/academic in nature
Often say things that could be misconstrued as rude and inconsiderate
Awkward body language, avoid eye contact/give intense eye contact, give mixed messages with this.
Serious sounding, stilted/monotone tone of voice
Have unusual affect, may smile/laugh at unexpected times
When emotion displayed, huge expressions incongruent with situation (i.e. laugh really loudly)
Are very rigid in their daily activities, preferences etc.
Usually have obvious sensory issues/central coherence issues
Usually have repetitive movements/stims, more likely to do so than the other types
Usually gifted or have above average intelligence
Often have "splinter skills" that they are exceptionally good at
Harder for this group to change/adapt their behaviours than the other types
If social skills are more developed - very rigid about controlling others' behaviours and can be misinterpreted as bossy

Type #2
Gender - Almost always male, though have met one female in this category
NTs are likely to notice differences upon meeting them.
More likely to display interest in others than the other types (though this is awkward), can be outgoing
Often very awkward body language, may give mixed messages with this, wavering or piercing eye contact
Always has an unusual tone of voice, may be serious sounding or nasal or have an odd quality to it
More likely to come across as egocentric than the other types, more likely to like calling attention to themselves
Least obvious interests than the other types, can talk about a variety of subjects, can learn to chit-chat
Has fixations on very specific scenarios/situations (may bring up an event over and over or talk about a socially related topic repeatedly such as dating repeatedly) which are often brought up in social situations
May attempt to gain or successfully gain NT friends but miss social subtleties

Type #3
Gender - Mostly female, though I've seen males who fit this
Very "script based", like repeating lines from media/tv shows/videos etc.
Bring up their interests repeatedly, the main reason they are rejected/made fun of by others
Main interests are arts/drama/music/tv/series related
More emotional than the other types and more likely to discuss social situations
More likely to be self-concious, prone to depression
Appropriate/attentive body language, either good or wavering eye contact
Often has an unusual tone of voice
Has some rigidity issues, though not as obviously as type #1
Often outgoing and enjoys meeting new people, but interacts with them using interests
Much more likely to be open about AS than the other types
More likely to change their behaviours than the other types

Type #4
Extremely passive and quiet in social situations, don't like to chat or do small talk
Don't engage with or initiate conversation with others, unless questions are asked (and in which case they give a short, to the point answer and don't continue the conversation unless it's about an interest)
Don't have unusual body language (though can appear distracted at times)/can make eye contact
Has interests, but you have to ask about them in order for them to talk about them.
If asked about interests, able to have an NT-like back and forth conversation about them

Type #5
Gender - predominantly female, though males can fit this
Often are also diagnosed with ADHD
Talk non-stop to the point where they can annoy people
Extremely outgoing/extroverted, tend to "cling" to people and follow them around
Display appropriate body language/make eye contact but have huge difficulty "reading" others
Interests are much less obvious than the other types, like to chat and socialize
More likely to be rejected by others (even groups of Aspies!) due to not leaving others alone
Blame others for their problems instead of working on them
Usually have anxiety/rigidity issues

Type #6

This is a very small minority of people who have been given an ASD diagnosis but for some reason do not display symptoms that would earmark them as someone with ASD. They appear to have traits of it rather than the whole picture (Broader Autism Phenotype). This is the category that I fall into (though as a kid, I was more of a type #3)

Excellent work!! !
I'm impressed.
The correlation between my personal observations and yours is very strong.
I relate mostly to Type 1 and I suspect those who know me would agree unanimously.

I'll just mention that type 1's DO FEEL, though they may act Vulcan.
Please consider sending your work to the ASD researchers.

Be well.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 2:01 pm

To be honest I have repeatedly read the types until now.
My interests are like type 1, but I don't have rigid routine
I am open like type 3, but I don't talk about interests repeatedly
I am passive like type 4, but I don't lack emotional expression
I have appropriate body language like type 5, but I don't have this caracteristic of not letting others alone
Also I am very emotional and sensitive which is not in any type.
hmmm I don't know.. when I am in the quiet mood I am passive, when I am in the agitated mood I am outgoing
anneurysm?

alwaysnow
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Apr 2014, 2:11 pm

#4, probably

Last edited by alwaysnow on 29 Apr 2014, 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 2:52 pm

Quote:
hmm but I would say I don't fit in any of the types, and not even mixtures of them. I think there should be a cathegory for those more sensitive and creative. Like Dhp and me.
I want to help to improve the model so here are my characteristics based on your descriptions of the other types:
-very creative
-don't bring special interest to conversation, if it is a topic then talk nonstop
-wavering eye contact

anyway, there should be a cathegory for sensitive folks! I met many people in wp like that and no type addresses being sensitive or emotional or creative or empathetic or intuitive.

This subtype that you have created is extremely accurate for me. 8O I suspect that this subtype has at least some relation to the phenomena described as being a "Highly Sensitive Person."

Catarina935
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Apr 2014, 3:31 pm

I currently fit better in type #4, although I was mostly #3 when I was younger.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 3:57 pm

WerewolfPoet wrote:
Quote:
-very creative
-wavering eye contact

This subtype that you have created is extremely accurate for me. 8O I suspect that this subtype has at least some relation to the phenomena described as being a "Highly Sensitive Person."

I am immensely glad to hear that :D
about the highly sensitive person, I am one too! I figured it out even before hearing of aspergers. In the beginning I thought it was why I was "different", but it didn't fit as around 15% of the population is hsp and I am not like them, and besides meltdowns, sensory sensitivity and needing time alone it didn't explain my other traits. So I kept searching and found aspergers and got diagnosed. But it is really cool you mentioned highly sensitive. It was the first thing about myself I identified with!

a_dork
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2014, 4:27 pm

I don't fit exclusively in any group, though I do have traits from Types 1, 2, and 4:

Type 1:
-Present as very serious. Don't do small talk and avoid social niceties.
-Extremely logical, explore topics - I have some interests which are theoretical/academic, but not all of them are 
-Often say things that could be misconstrued as rude and inconsiderate 
-Have unusual affect, may smile/laugh at unexpected times
-Usually gifted or have above average intelligence
-Usually have repetitive movements/stims, more likely to do so than the other types 

Type 2:
-Has fixations on very specific scenarios/situations (may bring up an event over and over or talk about a socially related topic repeatedly such as dating repeatedly) which are often brought up in social situations 
-Always has an unusual tone of voice, may be serious sounding or nasal or have an odd quality to it 

Type 4:
-Extremely passive and quiet in social situations, don't like to chat or do small talk 
-Don't engage with or initiate conversation with others, unless questions are asked (and in which case they give a short, to the point answer and don't continue the conversation unless it's about an interest)
-Don't have unusual body language (though can appear distracted at times)/can make eye contact 

It's amazing that you were able observe and collect a vast amount of information on people with ASDs, though I don't think they can be categorized. As in my case and mentioned by other posters, we can have a unique variety of traits.

― L. Frank Baum, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 5:36 pm

None of them really fit me exactly. I bolded the parts that sound like me. I have some very contradictory traits, I could be one way in one situation, and almost the opposite in another, so it would probably be hard to type me.

anneurysm wrote:
Type #1
More obviously ASD than the other types (in my opinion)/NTs are more likely to notice something different/"off" than the other types
Present as very serious. Don't do small talk and avoid social niceties.
Extremely logical, love to debate and explore topics - interests are always theoretical/academic in nature
Often say things that could be misconstrued as rude and inconsiderate
Awkward body language, avoid eye contact/give intense eye contact, give mixed messages with this.
Serious sounding, stilted/monotone tone of voice
Have unusual affect, may smile/laugh at unexpected times
When emotion displayed, huge expressions incongruent with situation (i.e. laugh really loudly)
Are very rigid in their daily activities, preferences etc.
Usually have obvious sensory issues/central coherence issues
Usually have repetitive movements/stims [mine are subtle but definitely noticeable], more likely to do so than the other types
Usually gifted or have above average intelligence
Often have "splinter skills" that they are exceptionally good at
Harder for this group to change/adapt their behaviours than the other types
If social skills are more developed - very rigid about controlling others' behaviours and can be misinterpreted as bossy

Type #2
Gender - Almost always male, though have met one female in this category
NTs are likely to notice differences upon meeting them.
More likely to display interest in others than the other types (though this is awkward), can be outgoing
Often very awkward body language, may give mixed messages with this, wavering or piercing eye contact
Always has an unusual tone of voice, may be serious sounding or nasal or have an odd quality to it
More likely to come across as egocentric than the other types, more likely to like calling attention to themselves
Least obvious interests than the other types, can talk about a variety of subjects, can learn to chit-chat
Has fixations on very specific scenarios/situations (may bring up an event over and over or talk about a socially related topic repeatedly such as dating repeatedly) which are often brought up in social situations
May attempt to gain or successfully gain NT friends but miss social subtleties

Type #3
Gender - Mostly female, though I've seen males who fit this
Very "script based", like repeating lines from media/tv shows/videos etc.
Bring up their interests repeatedly, the main reason they are rejected/made fun of by others
Main interests are arts/drama/music/tv/series related
More emotional than the other types and more likely to discuss social situations
More likely to be self-concious, prone to depression
Appropriate/attentive body language, either good or wavering eye contact
Often has an unusual tone of voice
Has some rigidity issues, though not as obviously as type #1
Often outgoing and enjoys meeting new people, but interacts with them using interests
Much more likely to be open about AS than the other types
More likely to change their behaviours than the other types

Type #4
Extremely passive and quiet in social situations [but not extremely], don't like to chat or do small talk

Type #5
Gender - predominantly female, though males can fit this
Often are also diagnosed with ADHD
Talk non-stop to the point where they can annoy people [but only with people I know very well like family]
Extremely outgoing/extroverted, tend to "cling" to people and follow them around [again only with people I know very well]
Display appropriate body language/make eye contact but have huge difficulty "reading" others
Interests are much less obvious than the other types, like to chat and socialize
More likely to be rejected by others (even groups of Aspies!) due to not leaving others alone
Blame others for their problems instead of working on them
Usually have anxiety/rigidity issues

Type #6

This is a very small minority of people who have been given an ASD diagnosis but for some reason do not display symptoms that would earmark them as someone with ASD. They appear to have traits of it rather than the whole picture (Broader Autism Phenotype). This is the category that I fall into (though as a kid, I was more of a type #3)

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 5:52 pm

type 3

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

stabilator
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2014, 8:23 pm

I am mainly a mix of 1 and 4.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 10:04 pm

With the exception of not being ashamed of being an Aspie-Autistic #4 is a very accurate description of me.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman