Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 6:48 pm

irene wrote:
I am very sorry Sweetleaf, and everyone else, who are offended by my message. It was never my intention to get anyone upset. :oops: I had hoped that maybe I could help other people from feeling bad.

While reading the last message from Sweetleaf I realized that it took me at least 47 years to come to those conclusions. I hope that you will accept my apology.

I may have came off a little intense, it could be more a misunderstanding of wording...sounds like you've found what works for you. You probably don't actually mean people choose to be damaged by stuff like that...but for you its a positive to think of it as 'I wont let them get to me, why should I' seems like its a healthy approach for you. So no need to apologize, I sort of get triggered by some things, but its obvious you weren't trying to be malicious about it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 7:35 am

irene wrote:
I am very sorry Sweetleaf, and everyone else, who are offended by my message. It was never my intention to get anyone upset. :oops: I had hoped that maybe I could help other people from feeling bad.

While reading the last message from Sweetleaf I realized that it took me at least 47 years to come to those conclusions. I hope that you will accept my apology.

Your words say one thing. Your tone says something else.

The point of your OP is that its okay to indulge in hate speech (you didnt openly say it in so many words-but thats the nub of what you're saying).

Then when a number of people objected to that assertion you lashed out in an angry tone by saying "if I can stand verbal abuse why cant everybody?". And then you went on to explain that youve gone from hating those people in your past who verbally abused you to...hating people in the present day who object to hate speech!

Again not in so many words-but thats what it boils down to.

Same amount of hatred-just deflected in a different direction.

I agree with you:that not allowing past tormentors to run your present life is a wise goal to strive for. But, it doesnt look to me ( and probably not to any reader) like you have quite reached that goal yet yourself.

You come off as sounding very wounded by the past. Thats why no one can buy what you're saying about how not to be wounded by the past.

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2014, 11:22 am

naturalplastic wrote:
irene wrote:

The point of your OP is that its okay to indulge in hate speech (you didnt openly say it in so many words-but thats the nub of what you're saying).

Then when a number of people objected to that assertion you lashed out in an angry tone by saying "if I can stand verbal abuse why cant everybody?". And then you went on to explain that youve gone from hating those people in your past who verbally abused you to...hating people in the present day who object to hate speech!

I agree with you:that not allowing past tormentors to run your present life is a wise goal to strive for. But, it doesnt look to me ( and probably not to any reader) like you have quite reached that goal yet yourself.

You come off as sounding very wounded by the past. Thats why no one can buy what you're saying about how not to be wounded by the past.

From what I read of your message it seems as though I did a fabulous job of inserting my foot into my mouth again.

The reason for writing was that I thought that I had found a solution to not allowing people to hurt me any longer. Since I believed it was working well I was hoping maybe I might be able to help someone else. To me it seems as though I am getting the same reaction from people that they give to posts from someone who deliberately wrote a message just to get some kind of reaction. Some of the things they wrote were quite nasty. That definitely was never my intention. Was my writing interpreted as though I was trying to insult the reader?

I know that my communication skills are not the best. Naturalplastic, do you think if I had worded the message differently it could have helped? Any help I can get to improve and not alienate people would be greatly appreciated since I find that I manage to that without even trying. :oops:

irene
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2014, 11:26 am

naturalplastic wrote:
irene wrote:

From what I read of your message it seems as though I did a fabulous job of inserting my foot into my mouth again.

The reason for writing was that I thought that I had found a solution to not allowing people to hurt me any longer. Since I believed it was working well I was hoping maybe I might be able to help someone else. To me it seems as though I am getting the same reaction from people that they give to posts from someone who deliberately wrote a message just to get some kind of reaction. Some of the things they wrote were quite nasty. That definitely was never my intention. Was my writing interpreted as though I was trying to insult the reader?

I know that my communication skills are not the best. Naturalplastic, do you think if I had worded the message differently it could have helped? Any help I can get to improve and not alienate people would be greatly appreciated since I find that I manage to that without even trying. :oops:

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 5:40 pm

This is an article about this you might like.

Quote:
As Liberal Puritanism and other forms of self-indulgent, lazy morality become normalized, and as the science of manipulating the public becomes more refined, and as our systems become more corrupt, what the powerful do, in terms of helping and hurting other people, is becoming irrelevant. It will just occasionally matter what they say. You can actively promote elements of institutional racism against poor blacks, be caught and have it all proven in court. Just don’t say anything ugly about a famous, rich black guy. You can plunder struggling local governments to increase wealth that already vastly exceeds what you can spend in a lifetime. Just make sure to read a book to a kid on TV in a school that has less money because of you.

http://www.ruthlessreviews.com/22420/do ... ng-racism/

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

05 May 2014, 9:29 pm

The thing about Donald Sterling is that he not only was racist personally, he acted on it professionally. Everybody has known what an awful person Sterling is both personally and professionally for a very long time, him not wanting his mistress or whatever to post pictures on Instagram with black people doesn't really bother nearly as much as him denying fair housing to blacks and Hispanics. Sterling only became an issue to the NBA when he would cost them money with sponsors ditching them and what not.

I'm a big big Green Bay Packer fan and it's one of few professional sports teams actually owned by the fans, there is no billionaire owner skimming the profit off the top. You can own shares but you can't collect any equity, dividends, or trade, and no one person can own enough stock to have any controlling intrest. It's a non-profit organization that puts its money back into the team and the community. I don't understand why this type of ownership isn't more common in pro sports especially now considering how these leagues demand tax payer money to build their privately owned facilities. Newt Gingrich actually wrote an article on CNN saying the same thing, his Crossfire co-host Van Jones agrees as well. I think it's something all sports fans can get behind, it is the fan's that make the team and the league not some club of billionaires.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 10:51 pm

I just learned on CNN today how Sterling's wife had gone through one of their apartment houses posing as a health inspector, and threatened black and Latino tenants. We know this happened because one of the tenants had had the presence of mind to film the whole incident. The Sterlings would force out renters of color by such shenanigans as turning off water, to refusing to accept rent, then evicting said tenants. It seems the Sterlings had wanted to replace blacks and Latinos in their buildings with Asians, who they were convinced were better behaved, and cleaner. It was just this stunt which had earned the Sterlings the biggest fine ever leveled against a landlord for racial discrimination in American history. Settling out of court with the tenants, the Sterlings were said to have forked out several millions of dollars in a settlement.