khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 11:45 pm

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 7:26 am

Oh yeah. There's a nother site Jeff Russell's Starship Dimensions that is basically the same thing but it's split between multiple pages and everything from a human all the way up to large space station constructions for comparison.

One thing that these charts don't go into is quantity or the ability of the supporting infrastructure to support them. A lot of these are one off ships, such as the Freespace Colossus or Wing Commander's Behemoth. And a lot of these were limited runs with maybe a dozen of its class ever produced to limited mass production such as ships from the Star Trek or Babylon 5 universes. Then there are the possible thousands to millions of a ship type such as the Zentraedi and Marduk craft, Reaper ships from Mass Effect, or Shivan starships from Freespace.

Spoiler wrote:
Take Freespace 2 for example. The first half of the base campaign there are hints dropped about the Colossus and what it is. It's let known that this is the pinnacle of Human-Vasudan space warfare tech. It's decisively used to crush the rebels in a few engagements. Then the Shivans return and it's used to stop the Sathanas juggernaut which at first appeared to be a one off. The Colossus is heavily damaged after destroying the Sathanas. Then more Sathanas appear. Lots more. It didn't end well with the Colossus destroyed.

Spoiler wrote:
But the opposite occurs in Robotech. Between the grand cannon in Alaska and the SDF-1, almost 5 million ships of the Zentraedi fleet are destroyed which signs the end of the Robotech Masters dominance in the galaxy. There are a few handful of Zentraedi ships left in the galaxy and a few factory sattelites and that's it. And the way the factory sattelites are designed, they randomly jump around to pre-set coordinates where they'd previously service the Zentraedi fleets which are now gone. The knowledge was lost about the locations they could go to when the Zentraedi and Robotech Masters were defeated so for all intents and purposes they're lost. Millions of starships reduced to almost none.

Did I say that I love starships. This used to be one of the things I obsessed about.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

seanblack
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 May 2014, 7:28 am

No Sulaco?

micfranklin
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 7:37 am

Nice to see how small those Rebel Cruisers in Return of the Jedi are in comparison to the Empire's ships.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 9:19 am

Wow... I'm gonna hafta fire up my desktop so I can put that chart on my TV... It's overwhelming my 10" wintab :oops: .

It looks like they omitted ships from X3: Reunion/Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude. Those turned out to be some great games after 5 or 6 years of modding and patching.

Oh well, it is pretty. I can't believe how puny all the BSG ships are.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 10:23 am

stardraigh wrote:
Oh yeah. There's a nother site Jeff Russell's Starship Dimensions that is basically the same thing but it's split between multiple pages and everything from a human all the way up to large space station constructions for comparison.

One thing that these charts don't go into is quantity or the ability of the supporting infrastructure to support them. A lot of these are one off ships, such as the Freespace Colossus or Wing Commander's Behemoth. And a lot of these were limited runs with maybe a dozen of its class ever produced to limited mass production such as ships from the Star Trek or Babylon 5 universes. Then there are the possible thousands to millions of a ship type such as the Zentraedi and Marduk craft, Reaper ships from Mass Effect, or Shivan starships from Freespace.

Spoiler wrote:
Take Freespace 2 for example. The first half of the base campaign there are hints dropped about the Colossus and what it is. It's let known that this is the pinnacle of Human-Vasudan space warfare tech. It's decisively used to crush the rebels in a few engagements. Then the Shivans return and it's used to stop the Sathanas juggernaut which at first appeared to be a one off. The Colossus is heavily damaged after destroying the Sathanas. Then more Sathanas appear. Lots more. It didn't end well with the Colossus destroyed.

Spoiler wrote:
But the opposite occurs in Robotech. Between the grand cannon in Alaska and the SDF-1, almost 5 million ships of the Zentraedi fleet are destroyed which signs the end of the Robotech Masters dominance in the galaxy. There are a few handful of Zentraedi ships left in the galaxy and a few factory sattelites and that's it. And the way the factory sattelites are designed, they randomly jump around to pre-set coordinates where they'd previously service the Zentraedi fleets which are now gone. The knowledge was lost about the locations they could go to when the Zentraedi and Robotech Masters were defeated so for all intents and purposes they're lost. Millions of starships reduced to almost none.

Did I say that I love starships. This used to be one of the things I obsessed about.

Thank you

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 12:46 pm

No Gundam ships?

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 1:17 pm

Tollorin wrote:
No Gundam ships?

There was the Soyokaze from Irresponsible Captain Tylor and the Nadesico but no Gundam. Also only had the Robotech Zentraedi craft which is the same as Zentran from Macross but none of the Marduk craft.

I think the artist took starships from what he was familiar with. That would explain having stuff from one anime but not another. He's probably heard of Gundam, but never actually watched an episode. Probably also played some games, but not others which have starships as a key part of the game. Battletech and the Honorverse are huge in Germany which explains why they were chosen over other things. Look at how many honorverse ships there are. They all have the same profile. Half of them could have been not included with no sense of size lost.

Other missing starships which could have easily been included are: Heavy Gear, Jovian Chronicles, Various Star Control series craft, Loknar's ship and the Guardian from Master of Orion, Iron Sky, Tachyon the fringe, Starlancer, Battle Beyond the Stars, Banner of the Stars, Andromeda, System Shock 2, Transformers.

This is why I like Jeff Russell's Starship Dimensions. From Humans up to planetoid sized.

My Blog
Deviantart Page