Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Briareos
Raven
Raven

01 May 2014, 1:43 pm

So...yeah, I have no friends, and sitting in my room in front of my computer isn't going to change that. The problem is, I don't know what I could do to change that. In terms of hobbies, I like skiing (not a common activity in Central Canada), biking, parkour, cars, art - appreciating it and making it - , nature/outdoors, fishing, video games, developing interest in manga/anime, and learning to speak/read/write Japanese.

"If you focus on results, you won't change. If you focus on change, you'll get results."

Last edited by Briareos on 01 May 2014, 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Onoma
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 May 2014, 1:59 pm

We have lots of similar interests that is pretty cool! Ok so clubs and societies are the best way to go. All my 'friends' come from a spiritual circle that I am a part of and it took about 2 years to find out about them. At one point in the past I was a member of this Anime appreciation society where people turned up and watched clips of anime. I'm not saying you will make friends right away but if you turn up alone and they get use to your face eventually people do talk.
Some gyms can be pretty friendly too, usually the smaller private ones. You can also consider going to a learning japanese evening class or something too. Finally voluntary work, always a great way of meeting people and many volunteers are there because they are lonely themselves and thus more likely to talk to you.
Best of luck on your quest of friendship.

Briareos
Raven
Raven

01 May 2014, 2:30 pm

Onoma wrote:
We have lots of similar interests that is pretty cool! Ok so clubs and societies are the best way to go. All my 'friends' come from a spiritual circle that I am a part of and it took about 2 years to find out about them. At one point in the past I was a member of this Anime appreciation society where people turned up and watched clips of anime. I'm not saying you will make friends right away but if you turn up alone and they get use to your face eventually people do talk.
Some gyms can be pretty friendly too, usually the smaller private ones. You can also consider going to a learning japanese evening class or something too. Finally voluntary work, always a great way of meeting people and many volunteers are there because they are lonely themselves and thus more likely to talk to you.
Best of luck on your quest of friendship.

Oh really? That's cool!

I've kind of looked into local Anime clubs, and I plan on going to their next meet up.
My present issue is a lack of employment, so my funds are currently non-renewable. I'd join a gym, but that costs money. I'd love to take a Japanese language course, but that too costs money. Maybe there's a Japanese society club or something at the university...I hope that I could participate in that even though I don't go to university.
Voluntary work is a possibility, but in what I don't know. I'd need to investigate what I could possibly volunteer in.

"If you focus on results, you won't change. If you focus on change, you'll get results."

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 4:20 pm

Can you help me remap my ECU? I have a manual boost controlled Saab & I know HEX...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

Briareos
Raven
Raven

01 May 2014, 5:08 pm

cberg wrote:
Can you help me remap my ECU? I have a manual boost controlled Saab & I know HEX...

I don't actually know anything about ECU remapping yet, but I wanna learn! It's more a metaphor for 'I'm re-wiring my mind/way of thinking' while expressing my interest in cars...
I'm just a guy who's an avid fan of auto tuning (Japanese cars in particular) who's waiting to turn his passion into a career.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 10:17 pm

Well you live in the right country for that! There's nothing whatsoever I want more in this world than a HiAce Turbodiesel 4x4 5spd...

Briareos
Raven
Raven

01 May 2014, 10:42 pm

cberg wrote:
Well you live in the right country for that! There's nothing whatsoever I want more in this world than a HiAce Turbodiesel 4x4 5spd...
Tell me about it, Skyline R34s and Silvia S15s (<-Me wantee) just became legal this year, while the poor US can just finally start shipping over R32s.
I know of a couple Mitubishi Delicas rolling around, as well as a sweeeet Nissan Pulsar GTI-R. I can import a Hiace for a reasonable price I think...Maybe you should move to Canada?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 2:23 am

I'm visiting my mom in Seattle right now and there's nowhere I'd ultimately rather live than Vancouver, having skiied Whistler Blackcomb and fallen madly in love with the glaciers. That's also when I found out about the Delicas, I just don't know if I could make myself trust Mitsubishi... My first ride was a Nissan Prairie (FWD :/ ), and I've had 2 Saab NGs since. I'm a coder, so as soon as I can afford it I want properties in Colorado where I live & somewhere like Sqamish or Pemberton. Being a winter person, ultimately I'm not sure I'll ever necessarily buy into JDM stuff, but I saw lots of cool EUDM/EJM cars last time I visited Canada. I like things to go batshit fast, I can launch a WRX to be sure (EJ205 notwithstanding) and my Saab is currently sitting on Contitrac Extremes in front & Gislaved Nord Frosts in back (ice race tires sans spikes!), and I'd rather just pay attention shifting than buy gas for 5 driveshafts, but I love subies. Since I also mountain bike I'd probably sooner build up a Baja STI or Forester with a custom block (I'm weird) than I'd go for one of their more normal cars, although the Outback XT had a certain appeal. It's pointless trying to find Saab skidplates...

My Saab:
1999 NG body 9-3, high output turbo 2.0l SE model, Garrett GT-17 (damn do I ever want a disco potato), Forge Motorsport diverter valve with the 16-17lbs spring, Viggen clutch via my local shop & K&N filter (cop out, I need to ziptie together a wider intake tube), many dents, rear negative camber from my wretchedly abused shocks, Bosal fiberpack exhaust option (straight pipe was better when my flex pipe rusted off :twisted: ), many dents, lame sport edition fat fives. I've kissed the thing goodbye something like five times now, swam out of it in the Boulder, CO flood where I live and it still eats HEMIs.

What's your daily driver?

Briareos
Raven
Raven

02 May 2014, 6:17 pm

Vancouver is nice, but expensive. It's less of a problem if you can snag a good job.

Ehh, I don't own a car yet, I'm still saving unfortunately. When I do have enough, I want a Toyota Matrix. I have...plans ....which also involve mounting a Disco Potato to the Matrix's 1ZZ. (Top....lol)
As for what I daily drive, that'd be my brother's '95 Chrysler New Yorker (a.k.a. Mobile Couch) and my bike..

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 8:05 pm

The XRS had a 2zz-ge as I remember, something you can get supercharger AND turbo kits for! I like those too, with their tupperware cargo areas and wall outlets.

Briareos
Raven
Raven

04 May 2014, 12:00 am

cberg wrote:
The XRS had a 2zz-ge as I remember, something you can get supercharger AND turbo kits for! I like those too, with their tupperware cargo areas and wall outlets.
Problem is that the compression ratio is 11.5:1 on the 2ZZ, so I'd need dished forged pistons to lower that, forged internals, stronger valves, rocker arms, and maybe new cams.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 2:43 am

You could daily an XRS just to get the 6 speed and save up while seeking out a smashed Lotus Exige S! :twisted: Why build your own 2zz? :chin:

Clutches from Japan are made of tofu and I like to take advantage of this fact in my mom's my06 1zz corolla. Lotus Swapped Celicas are bats out of hell.

You would probably need RallyArmor mudflaps like I do now. Did I mention my Saab has many dents?!
Screw it, I'm just gonna slice up a teflon cutting board sheet & do exactly that.

Briareos
Raven
Raven

05 May 2014, 11:36 am

cberg wrote:
You could daily an XRS just to get the 6 speed and save up while seeking out a smashed Lotus Exige S! :twisted: Why build your own 2zz? :chin:

Clutches from Japan are made of tofu and I like to take advantage of this fact in my mom's my06 1zz corolla. Lotus Swapped Celicas are bats out of hell.

You would probably need RallyArmor mudflaps like I do now. Did I mention my Saab has many dents?!
Screw it, I'm just gonna slice up a teflon cutting board sheet & do exactly that.

It all depends on what's available, I'm looking for the cheapest Matrix with as with few or little issues I can fix. I'm not going to specifically look for an XRS because I'll put on the XRS aero package regardless (plus they'll cost considerably more). If one is available for a good price I'll take it.
However, the 2ZZ is preferred because of it's G head which flows better. Same with having Manual, I wanna be able to shift. So ideally, I'd have a mildly stanced AWD XRS Manual..

I don't know, I like the sporty hatch-ness of the Matrix; I want it because it's a platform no one touches/thinks about, and it's versatile enough to haul my ski gear and keep charging through the winter. If I wanted 2ZZ MR power, I'd keep it in the family and go for a MR-S over an Elise. The minute I get my car and whip it into decent spec I'll have a reason to hang out at the local tuner car meets.

Is that so? Then I'd probably want to put in a tighter single plate clutch from the likes of Exedy or ACT.... and a short throw shifter.

You didn't mention any dings, and why would I need mud flaps?

How off topic this thread has become, but screw it because cars.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 11:10 am

I suppose living in the Colorado Rockies down here is quite a bit tougher on most FWD cars, I hoon my poor 9-3 anywhere I can because there's really no way I personally can beat it up more than our potholes, gravel and washboards. I was just being facetious about my dents, the mudflaps I need are mostly for salt and scree. Everywhere I ever drove in BC had gorgeous roads. My Saab is silver to match the duct tape. Whatever, it's standard provisions on the international space station :P .

Do you guys really get XRS models with manuals?! My god you're lucky... I don't think the XRS 6 speeds in my country have shaft outputs.

I told my old man today to buy himself one of those Tesla-powered Benz B-klasses, I really like the hatchbacks to be had where you are.

I at least had one stroke of luck! I'm planning on a Stage 2 ECU from Brewcityboost for my NG which claims to be good for ~250whp if I deal with my backpressure. Since short throws are a no-no with my reverse lockout I need to do a shifter rebuild to stay sane...

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 10:03 am

Briareos wrote:
cberg wrote:

How off topic this thread has become, but screw it because cars.

You seem like a Jalopnik reader. That doesn't mean you'd believe what I'm planning to do with my dad's Honda Element.
[editing]
I'm thinking about combining the Wildernest
With a Subaru Forester 2.5X 5spd bought by trading the squeaky Honda. I can always build a Turbo Forester! The sawzalled camper will probably be pieced together on something overengineered and biofueled.