Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 5:05 am

I want to move to another town before continuing my career path of becoming a math teacher by joining some organization like City Year or Teach for America. The reason I want to move away is that I want a change of routine in my life. I want to meet new people, to experience new things, and to become more independent. However, barring my minimal experience in living on my own and my shoddy common sense, there are two main reasons why I'm not sure this plan can work.

One main reason is that I want to move in with some of my relatives, but I don't remember the exact addresses of any of my relatives, so I won't know how long it would take me to get to work at any of the locations. I could just ask my relatives for the info, but I don’t know anyone's phone number or email address, either. Sure, there are phone numbers and websites to find out these things, but those charge money, and I think my parents might not like having to pay a little extra money for phone or internet services. (Keep in mind that I'm not financially independent).

The other problem is that I don't think my parents would trust me enough to let me move out of town, even if I did move in with some of their relatives. I know I have to tell them about this major life choice eventually, so how should I break the news to them?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 5:59 pm

Sorry I didn't respond earlier.

I could understand you wanting to move away from your parents. That was my main ambition since age 16 or so.

This might seem like a stupid question: Have you gotten your bachelor's yet--especially in Education?

LonelyJar
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 10:22 pm

I only have a BS in Math.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 12:09 am

Couldn't you take the teacher's exam with a B.S.?

In NYC, you could get in with any Bachelor's. There's a program where they pay for your Masters. You must get it within 5 years, though.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2014, 11:22 am

I would be wary of leaving at relatives place my relatives mock and tease me.

Moving away from my parents was my childhood ambition they were so crazy and voilent
after marriage i got away from them

Be cautious of world out there........sometimes they are worse then we assume

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 7:29 am

We are not always babies. We have to go out in the world!

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 8:58 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We are not always babies. We have to go out in the world!

we are vulnerable babies the jungle is rough out there
and we are too naive and innocent

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 10:25 am

I think it's great you want to stretch your wings out and fly.

I also think you should draw up some real plans.

Start by getting your relatives contact information and getting in contact with them. If you had a great roomie while you were in school, you should get in touch with them as well. Start by just saying hello, asking how they are, mention what you last remember hearing about their life from them, ask what they're doing now. Ease into it all slowly. Most of the time, small talk is pretty useless and annoying, but in this case, it's your friend. Use it to figure out if they are still the same people, use it to figure out their living situation (to see if living together would be feasible/mutually beneficial), use it to figure out if regular contact with them (let alone living together) would drive you bonkers. Use Facebook to get in touch with them. As long as you know their name and face, it'll work and it's free.

Figure out where you want to live and what you could afford to rent. Don't forget about parking, public transportation, food, library distance, crazy neighbors, crime rate, or anything that is of unique concern or interest to you.

Get a job as close as possible to where you want to live. This one's easier said than done, and should be done before you move- at least in this economy. Maybe you could guide tours at the local science museum. Look at city jobs and federal jobs- right now they tend to pay better than private jobs, at least that's been my experience.

Break the news to your parents only when you have all these things in place. That way they'll know you've thought this out. They'll feel more comfortable if you have a plan, a job, and have already crunched some numbers and have pictures to show them. You're their baby. It doesn't matter if you're 5 months old or 25 years old.