is it rude to ask someone you barely know for their email?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MonsterGuy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2014, 9:05 am

I'm 15, and I'm a guy, and there's this girl who's 15, and we don't go the same school, but we see each other elsewhere. We share an immigrant community of Turkish-American Muslims. I only talked to her briefly like 4 times, is it okay if next time I see her i talk to her a little and then ask her for her email?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 9:31 am

Only if you are able to speak to her for more than 15 minutes or so, and you definitely have common interests.

Geist
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 May 2014, 10:36 am

Go for it. She can only turn you down.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 11:06 am

MonsterGuy wrote:
I'm 15, and I'm a guy, and there's this girl who's 15, and we don't go the same school, but we see each other elsewhere. We share an immigrant community of Turkish-American Muslims. I only talked to her briefly like 4 times, is it okay if next time I see her i talk to her a little and then ask her for her email?

I don't think it's any different in principle than asking her for her telephone number--especially if you're prepared to give her your e-mail address first. When the one is right, it's hard to object to the other.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 2:15 am

I generally give them my email and let them connect with me. I do the same thing with phone number.

Jensen
Veteran
Veteran

08 May 2014, 3:59 am

You could ask, if she would be interested in swapping e-mails.

Luey
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 May 2014, 6:42 pm

Douglas_MacNeill wrote:
I don't think it's any different in principle than asking her for her telephone number--especially if you're prepared to give her your e-mail address first. When the one is right, it's hard to object to the other.

I agree with this. I find it's even easier asking for an email than asking to add someone on facebook.