Do your Family and Friends accept your ASD?

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

How do your Family and Friends Accept your ASD
Very Accepting, they understand my behaviour and help out when they can. 32%  32%  [ 9 ]
At first they didn't understand and tried to deny, but after a while they understood and now support me 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
They're just getting used to the Idea now, 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They havent gotten used to it yet, 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
They dont completely understand, theyre still pointing out that i can talk and feed myself 18%  18%  [ 5 ]
They dont understand at all! theyre always saying im looking for attention or trying to take the easy way out, i have no support 25%  25%  [ 7 ]
Since my Autism is moderate, they knew ever since i was a kid but even then there was denial 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
My Autism is very severe, so Family and Friends have always known and Supported me 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
My Autism is very severe and no one supports me other than Care Takers. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 28

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 9:43 pm

i guess this really applies more to AS and HFA but i think it might apply to others on the spectrum.

i met My best friends Boyfriend the other day, and only after the visit, she told me that before i met him, my friend, Rachel, told her boyfriend that i was autistic,

she said "ok, just to let you know, Emily is autistic, so dont make fun of her." and he said "oh! can she talk? does she have a Deformity?" and she just said "no no, nothing like that, she just thinks a little different and can say or do something inappropriate but she tries not to, and she talks about sonic a lot, so dont make fun of her, or ill break up with you."

I was really happy she told him the way she did, Before when i would meet her friends they would pick on my or single me out. i think its OK for people to know sometimes, other times its not important,

i was also happy that Rachel took time to Accept and understand my ASD, my dad also accepted it, so did my sister and grandparents, (before one of them died)

so how do your family and friends act with your autism

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 10:22 pm

Across the board. Some people actively oppose others in their ignorance of neurodiversity and medical hardship, others aren't convinced I deserve any share of their planet. I try to remain friends with both groups, but when it's impossible it's impossible and I side with the nice folks. In any case, I defend myself, exactly where I am, before I take the time to go anywhere else. Failing that, I point out ignorance anywhere I see it and accept the consequence.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 11:45 pm

I didn't really know how to respond to the poll, because my friends and family know I have autism, and are accepting of it, but they don't really go out of their way to support me; I have to tell them what I need and why, and there's a 50/50 chance they'll understand when I tell them. It could be worse though; I could get no understanding and have them all think it was in my head.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2014, 11:48 pm

My friends have always supported me and my family has started supporting me two years ago.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 1:01 am

StarTrekker wrote:
I didn't really know how to respond to the poll, because my friends and family know I have autism, and are accepting of it, but they don't really go out of their way to support me; I have to tell them what I need and why, and there's a 50/50 chance they'll understand when I tell them. It could be worse though; I could get no understanding and have them all think it was in my head.

I have something of the inverse situation; my family historically has attributed more of my persona to my HFA than ever really was affected by it, and the cycle repeated itself when they failed to realize I knew when people were discussing me behind my back. I'm considering saving up for a cabin...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 1:42 am

My daughter's grandparents have ignored my daughter's official diagnosis of autism and tell their friends their grandaughter has a speech delay. I've also heard my mother use the term Aspergers rather than autism to not make it sound so severe. On that basis they have not come to terms with it.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 5:40 am

I wish so much I had a friend like that. No, I am not found to be acceptable. People more tolerate me, and that's difficult

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 7:38 am

My grandma (mother side) actually knew I got Asperger long before I did. She was the one who told me about it in the first place. She understands and is somehow proud of me. But I think she is overdoing it. She seem to think I am a second Lisbeth Salander...

My mom seem to accept it but doesn't fully understand it. She tries her best to help me but she has no clue what I really need (for example she still thinks I need to look in her eyes to understand what she is speaking to me while it is just the opposite -_-) and she is ofter angry with what I do.

My dad thinks it is just a condition my mom and grandma imagined and I am perfectly fine, just lazy. But I see some autistic traits in him too and his sister is "crazy" (mentally issued with disability pension, the name of her condition is a taboo in his family) so it is weird he doesn't believe. Perhaps he doesn't want to believe because he doesn't want me to end up like his sister.

My friends either don't know, believe halfly ("You got some traits but thats it") or just let it go ("Ok.") and act like nothing happened. It's not like my autism is severe (I come out as eccentric with some weird ideas and tendency to turn off occasionally) so they just accept me for who I am, without any labels.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 10:11 am

I have two friends and told them both that I'm autistic when I received the diagnosis 4 years ago. One was immediately supportive and has remained so, although she doesnt understand autism. But why should she? The other disagreed with the diagnosis as she thought I function too well. This second friend has since over time come to realize that I am affected by autism and she bas tried to learn more about it.

JPS
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 May 2014, 7:36 am

My parents knew about my AS since I was 8, but didn't tell me till I was 14. They were always very accepting, and made me feel normal, or as close to as was possible. They were also very supportive, trying to discover what might help my condition and doing it wherever possible. I think this may have been a big factor in my ultimately overcoming it.

As for friends, it rarely occurred to me to tell anyone, and back then it was not something that was well known. If they were my friends, then they had already accepted my being a bit weird.