Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 10:38 am

I really want to get involved in some clubs or organizations, but I'm not entirely sure how, or what is best.

In college, there are literally tons of clubs that you can join, for just about every interest imaginable. I was extremely active in quite a few. Since it is in college, your fellow club members are made up of your peers, who are in a similar place in life. Overall, they were a great place to meet people.

After college, things seem much more difficult. Here are the main issues as I see them:

1.) I'm sure that clubs and organizations exist, but I find it extremely difficult to find them or find out about them. Even if I do find them (usually through google), I have no way of knowing how legitimate they are...often the "club site" will look super-sketchy and will make me hesitant to attend an event or meeting.
2.) The organization members consist of everyone, with ages often ranging from 5 to 75. Most of the events I go to will have lots of parents with their kids, and lots of people in the 40-60 age bracket...almost never anyone from my age group.
3.) In the same breath as #2, the members consist of people who often have anything in common other that the interest that the club is focused on.
4.) Most people seem to attend with their family or close friends. Since they are attending with people that they already know and are very close with, it makes it quite difficult to actually meet anyone, since they are constantly grouped up amongst themselves. When others attend by themselves, they are far more open to conversation and intermingling.

So, have these things been true in your experiences? Does anyone have any advice on finding organizations in my area, particularly compatible ones?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 12:17 pm

church, 12-step groups, league of women voters (nonpartisan group open to men), various volunteer opportunities like local health club, literacy project, disability advocacy group, or hospital. we have a local writer's group, knitting group, and book club. book clubs and non-lead twelve-step groups are especially good because everyone gets a chance to converse.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 11:34 pm

Ham radio is cool. Today, you don't have to learn morse code. The test are fairly easy. And, the protocol of radio exchanges does away with most of the verbal queue issues. If you want, I can post some links.