Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 2:53 pm

So im finally getting the formal diagnosis process underway. Theyve sent the AQ test and I can't answer these questions. For each one I deliberate for ages because there are complicating factors. Ive also done the test before and so my result is going to be inaccurate either way. Any advice
Also how do I differentiate between slightly agree/disagree. Most of my answers are slightly dis/agree because I keep thinking: "I dont like being around people because of past experiences, but I would want to be around them were I not scarred by bad experience". Pure speculation. I dont really know. All I do know is that I spent 90% of my childhood playing alone XD

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 3:10 pm

Tell the evaluator that you've taken the test before.

Write up the complicating factors and speculations you have about the questions. Then, pick the most accurate answer. Take the things to you wrote about and discuss them with the evaluator. The evaluator can then analyze your answers with the proper context.

binaryodes
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 3:22 pm

yehh thats what I thought about doing too. Hopefully the evaluation will touch on the context behind my answers. I get 34 when I answer the questions with my present condition in mind. No complicating factors. I get 31 when I start spending 30 seconds on each. So its high either way, just on the patterns in things question for instance it varies. I will see a face in a tree and as a kid I would see images in the patterns on the wall and be mesmerised by them. Nowadays not as much but there are times when I do. Do I disagree or agree slightly? I could go either way. Part of it is not wearing glasses. When I look closely at my textured wall I see fish eyes crying babies birds etc, but since im short sighted when I draw away the details are blurry. Loool your advice is sound at any rate.

I'd go with slightly agree based on hearing musical intervals in car horns and train whistles as well as the wall feature. Im concerned that im personally erring on the side of aspie however. On the other hand its possible I may be doing the opposite and erring on the side of NT.

swashyrose
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 May 2014, 3:47 pm

As is usual for me with any test or survey, I returned my aq test covered with notes. The questions often seem based on how an asd person appears to others, rather than to themselves. I pointed out the complications under the questions.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 3:49 pm

I had the same problem. I started to dissect all the words in each question (e.g., "What does 'social interactions' mean " or "When it asks, 'Am I imaginative', compared to who"?). The psychologist suggested that I not focus on the details and instead think “globally”. Which didn't make a lot of sense. She then suggested that I choose the answer that comes first to mind (so that I do not "over think" the questions).

So, this is what I did. In one sitting, I answered all the questions. I recorded the answers on one piece of paper. Then, a day or so later, when I was is a different state of mind, I took the test again. I recorded the answers on a different piece of paper. Then, I asked my spouse to answer the questions (from her perspective). I compared the answers and they were all similar. I felt that was the best I could do.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 3:50 pm

swashyrose wrote:
I returned my aq test covered with notes.

Ah yes. I did this as well. LOL.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 4:29 pm

I don't think it matters in the scoring if you slightly agree or strongly agree.
Just answer based on what you are like the majority of the time.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 5:17 pm

binaryodes wrote:
So im finally getting the formal diagnosis process underway. Theyve sent the AQ test and I can't answer these questions. For each one I deliberate for ages because there are complicating factors. Ive also done the test before and so my result is going to be inaccurate either way. Any advice
Also how do I differentiate between slightly agree/disagree. Most of my answers are slightly dis/agree because I keep thinking: "I dont like being around people because of past experiences, but I would want to be around them were I not scarred by bad experience". Pure speculation. I dont really know. All I do know is that I spent 90% of my childhood playing alone XD

When I did this I tried to be as honest as possible about the way I am and things in my life are. Not who I like to think I am, not how would I do things if things were different, but what do I do in reality.

I always eat lunch alone at my desk. I only do social things when other people initiate and then I am generally ill-at-ease, though I try not to show it. I would prefer not to think of myself that way, but it is the truth.

Answer as honestly as you can, it will help the diagnostician to sort it out. They will go over the aspects you have questions about during the interview.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2014, 10:17 pm

starkid wrote:
Tell the evaluator that you've taken the test before.

Write up the complicating factors and speculations you have about the questions. Then, pick the most accurate answer. Take the things to you wrote about and discuss them with the evaluator. The evaluator can then analyze your answers with the proper context.

A good evaluater would take into consideraton that you had trouble making a decision and felt you did not fit into catagories

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

rebbieh
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 3:13 pm

I had to take the AQ test for my assessment as well. I had huge problems with it. Just like Rocket123 I started to dissect all the words in each statement. I felt like I needed examples all the time and I wanted to know exactly what "they" meant by each statement so that I could answer them accurately. I couldn't do it on my own (I tried several times). I finished about a third on my own and then the psychologist had to help me with the rest of the test and she had to explain everything and answer the questions I had for me to be able to finish it.

And, just like others here, I returned the test covered with notes and questions.