Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

InterestingIsabella
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 May 2014, 9:37 am

i rock back and forth like crazy and it makes me feel good but the down side is that i get hurt..

Example:

the chair broke while i was rocking and i didnt know and my knees hit underneath the table and i flipped upside down backwards pulling the wooden table up onto me

my back rubs against the couch and i get rug burns on my back and scabs and it bleeds

i honestly..its just so hard to stop and im not sure if i even want to stop it makes me feel good
the repetitive movement it helps my thoughts move foward so im not stuck perceverating all the time

i look at the black scars along my spine and i cry because i honestly feel so ugly and that most of my friends at my boarding school dont know or even understand

i sometimes think why me? why did i end up like this? why is this what i do? and why cant i stop?... :(

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 9:39 am

I don't see how rocking breaks chairs. I mean do you lift the legs off the ground or bang your back against them? You can still rock without doing those things to the chair.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 10:28 am

i'm a constant rocker but i've never really had problems like that.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 10:33 am

Have you tried rocking while standing up? I like to do that. I just shift my weight from side to side and it feels really good. You can do it hard or soft fast or slow. But that might keep you from getting hurt. Just do it in a more open area where you have room and if you want to do it hard or fast spread your feet a little more to give you a stable platform.

Why do you think you are ugly?

Wreck It Ralph

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 10:39 am

Could you explain more about how exactly you are positioned when you're rocking? I'm not sure I understand, for instance how your spine is making contact with the couch?

I also have scarring along my spine, although not from rocking. I wouldn't say it makes you ugly.

Noetic
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 11:04 am

How about buying yourself a rocking chair?

MynameisAnna
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2014, 1:26 pm

I jump.
if it hurts to rock,
jump.
stand up
and jump.
besides,
it is too hard
to sit in a chair
for very long.

because,
I can only express
one thought at a time.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 3:35 pm

Noetic wrote:
How about buying yourself a rocking chair?

Yeah, or just sit on a couch, a bed or the floor and rock.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 3:48 pm

I rock on our bed sometimes and it's very comfy.

Wreck It Ralph

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 7:16 pm

I also agree about getting a rocking chair.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 7:35 pm

The only thing is that it's hard to rock violently, fast and hard, in a rocking chair. They are really made for gentle rocking.

Wreck It Ralph

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 7:44 pm

skibum wrote:
The only thing is that it's hard to rock violently, fast and hard, in a rocking chair. They are really made for gentle rocking.

You haven't tried hard enough! :D

Sethno
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 7:49 pm

Any stim that's causing you physical damage and scarring needs to be toned down.

Other people rock. I do it myself at times, and have never had physical damage to my body as a result.

This is the type of thing where they'll put kids into helmets because of them banging their head against a wall.

The person doing these things, these SELF-HARMING things, has to make the decision to NOT go that far.

This isn't a case of "You should have known better...it's your own fault". It's a case of "Now that you know, you've got to stop the self-harming end of things".

Just because something "feels good", if it's also causing damage it's NOT good, and I have to assume that with the physical damage comes pain, and that does NOT feel good.

The only solution here is to make the decision "NO, I'm not doing it any more." Considering the hold it seems to have, tho', it might be best to speak to a parent, doctor, or therapist for help in toning things down to a safe level.

What would these results mean? Been told here I must be a "half pint".

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 8:16 pm

wozeree wrote:
skibum wrote:

You haven't tried hard enough! :D
I've rocked one all the way across the room! LOL! :D

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 8:19 pm

Like Sethno said, you may need to get protective gear like a helmet and pads that you can wear.

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 8:27 pm

I like gentle, rhythmic rocking.