indigoiis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2007, 10:35 am

Howdy,

What is your first name? Anj

Why are you here? Parent of a teenaged girl with AS

How did you find this website? Google

Any comments? Want to understand my daughter better.

Endersdragon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 10:43 am

Hey I am the UOPHA (Alex still won't let me be the OOPHA) so feel free to ask me any question in PM or whatever :).

Vote for me in 2020 :-D

krex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 11:15 am

a girl
a teenager
and with AS......Ever heard the expression....three strikes and your out..... :) .

My heart goes out to you.I was once all of the above(now I am 43....my mother and I both survived!! !!Jbut just barely)
I am glad you are actually trying to understand your daughter.You have the advantage over my mom,of knowing that your daughter has AS(I was only DXed this year).And your daughter has the advantage of having a mom who wants to understand.
There are alot of insightful people here.I hope we can help.Is your daughter joining?She might need some help in understanding you, as well.God knows,I hadnt a clue what my mom was going through...I just thought she was torturing me for the fun of it when she was trying to help me function better in a world indifferent to "AS reality".

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 11:41 am

Hello, welcome to Wrong Planet!

indigoiis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2007, 12:15 pm

I think she is going to join this site.

Up to now, things have been fairly manageable. But recently, the teenaged hormones have kicked in.

I am not sure what behavior is AS, and what is "normal" teen behavior.

She is not drugging/drinking/interested in boys (yet) thank goodness. In some ways, I am glad she is a little anti-social and prefers to be at home, because it keeps her from being "out there", although, I know she will eventually have to face all that.

It breaks my heart when she comes home and says she was picked on at school. Middle school sucks.

I love her just the way she is. I don't want a cheerleader - I just want her to feel joy. Seems weird - she never feels specifically a feeling... she reacts as if she feels but you can tell it's sort of artificial - she never "really" cries or laughs. That's what is the hardest for me to deal with - her lack of tangible emotion.

Lots and lots to read here...

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 12:29 pm

'ello! and welcome. i'm a teenager(16) as well and yep, it's hard for me...that's all i can think of...welcome!

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 1:07 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!
I hope you like it here!
Please tell your daughter about this site!

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2007, 1:54 pm

I'm 17 and have dealt with/am dealing with the same stuff your daughter is getting into right now...

I'm here if you'd like to talk or ask questions.

[email protected]

~Annie~

indigoiis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2007, 2:04 pm

Thank you Annie, and everyone. I really appreciate it.

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2007, 2:27 pm

My pleasure; I often wondered how I would be different if I knew I had Asperger's when I was younger and had someone to go to and ask questions. Please don't hesitate to ask anything.

~Annie~

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

21 Feb 2007, 2:52 pm

I'm probably around the same age group as your daughter (16). For me, life's been pretty straight forward, and a lot of the time I'm actually praised for my out of the box behavior and style of thinking.

Oh, and with the 'love' thing, what needs to happen for her to get to know someone well enough to love them. I'm in love, although when I first met Starbuline, I wasn't all "I love you!" or anything. But as the weeks went by, the feeling cropped up and grew, and now we're in love! (although I'm in NZ and Star's in California, but we're looking to solve this problem)

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

RTSgamerFTW
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 2:59 pm

Welcome to WP,remember to join the church of MTV haters and together we can PWN MTV!! !! !

indigoiis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Feb 2007, 3:02 pm

She does have some pretty praise-worthy traits - I wouldn't change her for the world. She is blessed with artistic talent, a penchant for writing and reading, and seems to understand concepts far beyond her years re: life and philosophy.

Socially, it's like a black hole. The girls who do seem to "get" her and like her for who she is don't get phone calls back and so don't invest much in her. It's almost as if she has a self-imposed exile!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 7:42 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2007, 9:56 pm

indigoiis wrote:
She does have some pretty praise-worthy traits - I wouldn't change her for the world. She is blessed with artistic talent, a penchant for writing and reading, and seems to understand concepts far beyond her years re: life and philosophy.

Socially, it's like a black hole. The girls who do seem to "get" her and like her for who she is don't get phone calls back and so don't invest much in her. It's almost as if she has a self-imposed exile!

I have lost a few friends by not answering the phone/calling them back. I really dislike talking on the phone. I believe this is another common aspie trait. Does your daughter tell people about her ASD? If not, they are probably wondering why she acts the way she does. If she has and they still respond negatively instead of trying to help/ nuture, then they are just jerks who don't deserve your daughter.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

22 Feb 2007, 3:36 am

indigoiis wrote:

I like writing as well, if she's into Sci-fi Fantasy mixed with reality (ie no magic or futuristic science) she'll love my story! It even has an Aspie character... :)

Also, I like drawing. I'm wondering what kind of art she's into! I do cartoon-esqe drawings. Also, if she likes humour, she'd like The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. In it, the answer to Life, the Universe and Everything is...

42. :D

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there