What professions are more or less likely to discriminate?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

rainbowbutterfly
Toucan
Toucan

04 May 2014, 4:03 pm

What professions are more or less Aspie friendly? I've tried to research the topic of workplace discrimination and discovered that different professions are more likely to have different kinds of discrimination. Though, I couldn't find any specific ones about Aspie discrimination.
Working in the field of education for years, I'd say that maybe some of the other educators I've known have either been the best or worst people I've ever met. I've had some jobs in which my bosses and coworkers have been very caring and accepting, and in which I was able to last for years and feel like I've belonged. (Though, I didn't tell them about my diagnosis.) With another education job, I've been let go once after working there for 1 week with the claim that I didn't pass the probationary period. There were a couple of other jobs in which I was complained about and let go without ever being given a reason. Though, I also understand that there's some pretty messed up politics that go on in this field.Most of my other friends in this field have recently been let go from their jobs.
Also, a person I talked to while hiking told me that some teachers can be gossipers and backstabbers. She told a story of a teacher who made up rumors about the other one to get them fired because she didn't like them. I feel that some teachers are there to be mentors and some are there to be dictators.
Online, I think I actually might have seen an article posting about discrimination on mental health conditions in the field, come to think of it, but I'm unsure. Also, I have seen articles on teachers bullying too, and, in my opinion, the schools have a social atmosphere of desired uniformity. I think that the underlying attitude that being different is being bad might be in the attitudes of both the teachers and the students.
What do you guys think?

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 6:29 pm

Honestly, since we are seen as "eccentric," "weird" and "quirky," you need to find professions that cater to that type of personality.

Hollywood (TV/movies) is more dominant with people who CHOOSE to not fit into the mainstream. Hence, there is more acceptance if you don't fit into society, but even they have their issues and can be just as cruel.

It's of no help, of course, for those of us not attracted to "eccentric" personality types.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 6:47 pm

All I can tell you with certainty from my experiences is that executive offices/banking/finance is a terrible place for Aspies. There is a lot of manipulative, backstabbing BS and being good at understand unwritten rules is necessary. We Aspies are generally a terrible fit in such environment which I learned the hard way. For me, I find construction and blue collar work to be very Aspie friendly. Even when I did not fit in to the culture and look like a 'white collar' worker I found I was VERY well accepted. Guys are generally very laid back and are very respectful and accepting, at least to men. With my limited experience in the education field, I would say there are plenty of eccentric professors and teachers but the level of acceptance varies wildly from school to school and department to department.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 9:38 pm

I can tell you creative/engineering/technical people are best. Sales/marketing/advertising are often the worst. Stay away from any area where the people learn how to do something, then are happy to do it the same way for the rest of their lives. That is a prime indicator they don't have the versatility to adapt and accept. Factories are the pits.

namaste
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 12:47 pm

Job with minimum social interaction is best for Aspies
I can do any amount of work i wont get tired
i will do in target time
but i cant cope with social politics
earlier i couldnt understand it but now i can interpret it
and i know whats coming
its too difficult to handle and i get bullied

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 2:05 pm

namaste wrote:
i will do in target time
and i know whats coming

It amazes me that employers just don't see that. After all. you would think that social politics would be a distraction and cut down on overall productivity in the workplace.

SoftwareEngineer
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 2:27 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
namaste wrote:
i will do in target time
and i know whats coming

It amazes me that employers just don't see that. After all. you would think that social politics would be a distraction and cut down on overall productivity in the workplace.

If you are a ready target for bullying and the bullying is not toward a favored demographic, such as racial minority or gay, you are considered a poor culture fit.

Chocoholic_2
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2014, 1:14 am

Working from home helps a-lot. I work in technical support. Vocal, superficial, and over the phone smalltalk is manageable. Plus, being at home, I can stim without anyone jumping down my throat. Stimming is necessary to keep sane when teaching neurotypicals how to operate their computers, especially when I have to keep talking to avoid getting docked for "dead air" whilst remaining "socially appropriate". Still, I do it well and train others. The goal is to go into programming, which will be easier to cope with. I know I come across as a bit strange, and to my face everyone is accepting. Because they're nice to my face, I'll think I'm doing well socially. Then, I'll overhear comments made behind my back, which happened recently when I had to come to the office. It really hurt, because I thought my boss liked me and I like him. It's impossible to know how I come across, because people are rarely honest about it. It hurts, which is why I tend to avoid people. Then again, I also highly desire social interaction, so now I have full blown, severe depression. Then again, I'd probably be depressed no matter what, because I don't feel welcome anywhere, even by my own family. At least working from home in a tech field, I'm not likely to get fired for a social faux pas even if I'm not exactly in the "inner circle" of "popular kids".

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 May 2014, 6:35 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
All I can tell you with certainty from my experiences is that executive offices/banking/finance is a terrible place for Aspies. There is a lot of manipulative, backstabbing BS and being good at understand unwritten rules is necessary. We Aspies are generally a terrible fit in such environment which I learned the hard way. For me, I find construction and blue collar work to be very Aspie friendly. Even when I did not fit in to the culture and look like a 'white collar' worker I found I was VERY well accepted. Guys are generally very laid back and are very respectful and accepting, at least to men. With my limited experience in the education field, I would say there are plenty of eccentric professors and teachers but the level of acceptance varies wildly from school to school and department to department.

I worked in the construction industry for two years prior to my decision to go back to school and get a bachelor's degree in accounting. I think construction is a bad place for Aspies to work. I am going into a "white collar" profession and will be joining a company that is fully supportive of me having autism. Aspies are more widely accepted in education, particularly higher education (colleges and universities).

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2014, 8:28 am

rainbowbutterfly wrote:
What professions are more or less Aspie friendly? I've tried to research the topic of workplace discrimination and discovered that different professions are more likely to have different kinds of discrimination. Though, I couldn't find any specific ones about Aspie discrimination.
Working in the field of education for years, I'd say that maybe some of the other educators I've known have either been the best or worst people I've ever met. I've had some jobs in which my bosses and coworkers have been very caring and accepting, and in which I was able to last for years and feel like I've belonged. (Though, I didn't tell them about my diagnosis.) With another education job, I've been let go once after working there for 1 week with the claim that I didn't pass the probationary period. There were a couple of other jobs in which I was complained about and let go without ever being given a reason. Though, I also understand that there's some pretty messed up politics that go on in this field.Most of my other friends in this field have recently been let go from their jobs.
Also, a person I talked to while hiking told me that some teachers can be gossipers and backstabbers. She told a story of a teacher who made up rumors about the other one to get them fired because she didn't like them. I feel that some teachers are there to be mentors and some are there to be dictators.
Online, I think I actually might have seen an article posting about discrimination on mental health conditions in the field, come to think of it, but I'm unsure. Also, I have seen articles on teachers bullying too, and, in my opinion, the schools have a social atmosphere of desired uniformity. I think that the underlying attitude that being different is being bad might be in the attitudes of both the teachers and the students.
What do you guys think?

ive worked in eduaction for over 20 years.. in the ESE area.. i find that some people love me and love the fact i relate to the low functioning autism students, others dislike me from the start and i wrack my brains trying to figure out what i did or said to offend them,.. I do sub work now and some classes I am accepted and loved in, others hate me,, i was bullied out of a position in nother district..its a tough field and over all i would not recommend it for somoene on the spectrum,, being able to hobnob and socialize, which i was not is seen as important.. And my career was destroyed by rumor mongers,,, this time some aides and an adminstrater who believed them over what was happening in the classroom, i will never do teacher of record again, way to stressfull.