Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 11:11 pm

Quote:
I find that if you talk in a formal way and/or use "big" (or uncommonly used) words, people tend to think you are "smart".

This is very true - and the magnitude of the words you need to use is proportional to the level of education/vocab of those in your audience. For example, I used to work in a factory and most of the people I worked with didn't have a high level of education and if they didn't know the right word to use, they would just throw in an expletive to see them through.

Now, my vocab isn't the best it could be, but it was a hell of a lot better than these poor mongrels and because of that, they used to call me 'the professor' and knock the way I used to talk saying, "Why don't you just use ordinary words?" but as far as I was concerned, I was. It was just that dogs had a higher vernacular than half of these poor sods. :(

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 11:15 pm

ImAnAspie wrote:
Quote:
I find that if you talk in a formal way and/or use "big" (or uncommonly used) words, people tend to think you are "smart".

This is very true - and the magnitude of the words you need to use is proportional to the level of education/vocab of those in your audience. For example, I used to work in a factory and most of the people I worked with didn't have a high level of education and if they didn't know the right word to use, they would just throw in an expletive to see them through.

Now, my vocab isn't the best it could be, but it was a hell of a lot better than these poor mongrels and because of that, they used to call me 'the professor' and knock the way I used to talk saying, "Why don't you just use ordinary words?" but as far as I was concerned, I was. It was just that dogs had a higher vernacular than half of these poor sods. :(

Yes, I know exactly what you mean. I've actually learned that on my own, surprisingly. I now automatically start to use a similar tone, phrases, and accent as others. People used to say "Damn, you sound smart and s**t". :lol:

If you are the type of person to analyze consistently and bring up injustices, people will also say the same thing. Then they will tell you to stop speaking nonsense because they don't understand. :P

Someone who was in college told me to not expand my vocabulary because "it's stupid"... :?:

I guess part of the reason I feel like the only job I can get is an intellectual one is because of the situations you mentioned.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 11:16 pm

I don't talk well compared to my peers, so I might seem less smart than I am from talking.

GlennBecksTears
Raven
Raven

05 May 2014, 11:19 pm

same. But I do better when writing.