Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

FeralRobot
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 May 2014, 5:52 am

One of my favourite sports is rock climbing, and I was wondering if anyone else wanted to discuss it.
I climb for about 1.5 hours each week, mostly indoors at a local climbing wall (but also do some outdoor bouldering). I started climbing about a year ago, but with a long, 6-month hiatus. I usually do F5c or F5c+ HVS climbs, but have occasionally attempted F6a and E1 routes. Bouldering, I usually attempt V4 problems.
Climbing involves both strength and flexibility, so I do a variety of exercises to improve my climbing ability, including yoga and weightlifting.
When climbing, I am so involved with the problem, with the climb, that I tend to forget everything else, and find it good for stress relief because of this. I usually don't have much of a problem with heights.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 6:24 am

I have always wanted to try it, but so far haven't had the opportunity.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2014, 3:08 pm

Once in a while. I would try to climb the rock wall at the aquatic center, it is a rope less wall and if you fall, you just high dive into the pool below. My feet have no problem gripping the rocks, probably because of my toe walking. But my hand and finger just ache from it. it funny to see all those middle schoolers just scale that wall like a bunch of spiders. most won't go more the ten feet up because they don't wanna fall from too high up. the wall is 35 feet high and has a 15' inverted angle.

BetwixtBetween
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 10:35 am

Quote:

Me too! It looks like fun.

FeralRobot
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 May 2014, 3:11 pm

Quote:
Quote:

Me too! It looks like fun.

Damned right it is! That is, provided you have a head for heights...
:)

boredNerd
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 May 2014, 3:01 am

I use to do rock climbing all the time I'd like to get back into it but I can't find anyone to go with me.

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jul 2014, 8:07 am

I am actually drawing up plans for a bouldering wall in my backyard. I just didn't realize how expensive plywood is!! I was diagnosed with a spinal disease this year, ankylosing spondylitis, and it has made it impossible to run anymore. And although I can still ride my bike (on my trainer), and lift weights - I really wanted a way that I could get some more outdoor exercise.

But at the moment - it just doesn't seem like it will be large enough to keep my interest.

Here are my current plans.

I would love some feedback from anybody that climbs on a regular basis.