Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

ConeFlower
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 May 2014, 1:02 pm

The email from FleischmanHillard's staffer, Jennifer Kohanim, followed by my reply.

Sent: Monday, May 5, 2014 6:53 AM

Subject: New campaign providing technology to those affected by autism

Hi *******,

As a special needs blogger, I wanted to shoot you a quick email about AT&T’s Speak Hope campaign, which is focused on providing technology to benefit those affected by autism.

AT&T is encouraging the public to get involved in the cause, which ultimately provides tablets – with specially designed apps for children with autism – to families who need it most. All folks need to do to help is tweet a message with #ATTSpeakHope and AT&T will donate $1 for every tweet with that hashtag up to $25,000. Here’s a video with more information about the campaign and you can feel free to easily RT this tweet to help spread the word.

Additionally, we’re working with one of our AT&T team members Ryan Stafford on sharing the message further. He has a 9 year old son with autism who is a self-learned coder – he apparently taught himself how to code through watching YouTube videos!

I wanted to see if you’d be interested in interviewing Ryan and his son Ben to hear their story or if you might be interested in collaborating with us on a Google Hangout or Twitter chat about this topic. The Speak Hope campaign runs till the end of June and we’d love to create an opportunity for parents to share their stories and learn from one another.

Let me know if you have any interest. Here’s a video from last year’s AT&T and Autism Speaks Mobile App Hackathon that will give you a taste for Ryan and his family (they first appear at about 0:52 within the video).

Thanks,
Jennifer

Jennifer Kohanim
FleishmanHillard for AT&T | 220 East 42nd Street | New York | NY | 10017
O 212-453-2116

Jennifer,

Like many in the autism community, I am suspect about how much money actually goes toward the tablets, since Autism Speaks is notorious for the super high incomes of the AS staff. Perhaps this campaign is an effort on their part to try and repair their black image in the autism community.

I’ll explain why. Research is important, yes, and many parents feel this way. But, AS has characterized autism as a some horrible disease that ruins lives and tears apart families. You can see their commercials on YouTube.

Also, as I have last heard on the internet, they have no autistic people on their board or higher up positions within the company. They are a money machine, not a participant in and a help to the autism community.

I don’t need to be cured of my autism. I was one of those non-verbal kids, and now I have four children, a husband, a business, and a good life. Yes, I have difficulties, some extreme, due to my autism, but I learn and grow and improve just like others with disorders. Organizations such as the Autism Society and many others help people on the spectrum live full lives. Yes, some people have severe symptoms, but not all.

Monitor some teen/adult groups on FB or forums such as and put the term “Autism Speaks” out there and read what reaction you get. For example:

(I posted some WP posts in this area.)

The sentiments expressed within the above links on WrongPlanet are echoed throughout the web.

Perhaps those at AS are realizing that they have not been involved in the autism community, so they are making a first step into being with, not against, autistic people. Or, this is a PR campaign to help repair their image.

At this point, I think it’s the latter. Only time will tell if they actually become involved and have autistic people working in influential positions within their company. I don’t use the term “non-profit” purposely.

-------

If you want her email address let me know.

RickyRaccoon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 May 2014, 5:00 pm

This is very interesting; thank you for sharing. I would actually prompt you to reply again with interest in the idea of contributing to a hangout or chat. Perhaps, you could hi-jack the chat and give the needed view that has not been provided by AS, and let people know what really needs to be done and how better action could be taken.

I apologize if my reply is naive at all; other than the research I have done on Autism in young women I have not previously been too exposed to Autism Politics.