Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 8:42 pm

A word of warning about debit cards....

If your debit card number is compromised and someone makes large purchases, your bank is unlikely to indemnify you. They are not required by law to do so. You will need to pay off whatever is overdrawn on your account before you can initiate a dispute as to whether or not the bogus charges were fraudulent.

On the other hand, if your credit card number is compromised, you can claim fraud immediately and not be required to pay for the bogus purchases. You are, however, required to cooperate with any investigation into the fraud. I recently had someone take several THOUSANDS of cash against my credit card in Kenya. After signing my notorized signature on a fraud affidavit, those charges were removed and I am not responsible for them.

My husband never carried cash and always used a debit card until I met him. I advised him of this potential problem with debit cards, so he agreed to become a joint user on one of my credit cards (we were living together but not married at the time). He actually did this to humor me, thinking that I was giving him inaccurate advice. However, he subsequently got a job as a software developer at a bankruptcy law firm and the attorney there confirmed everything that I said was 100% accurate.

Another thing to think about...

Edit: you can always get a prepaid credit card so you don't overspend, but they can charge some pretty insane account maintenance fees.

jimservo
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 9:42 pm

I cannot do credit cards at the moment. I am too much of a spender. I need to have the cash in my hands.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 9:44 pm

janicka wrote:

If your debit card number is compromised and someone makes large purchases, your bank is unlikely to indemnify you. They are not required by law to do so. You will need to pay off whatever is overdrawn on your account before you can initiate a dispute as to whether or not the bogus charges were fraudulent.

A debit card number would be useless without my PIN number as well. And I am very careful about that...

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 9:47 pm

I'm too young to get one, plus I don't need one.

Beenthere
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 10:43 pm

I do 95% of my shopping and finances online...so yes. I pay the balance in full each month.

If you plan on using them online...you may want to set up a fraud alert just in case...you'll be notified via email or phone if a purchase is made over a certain amount. Alot of the major credit card companies now offer programs that will generate a one-time use number for using online...a little more secure and less risky if a merchants database happens to get breached.

ZedSimon
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 10:46 pm

Alex: cash back may be nice, but it's the interest rate that really counts. Take a good close look at what you're getting back at the end of the month or year (however your card does it), and compare it against what you're spending on interest. Does the cash you get back warrant the higher interest you're probably paying? Or would you have been better off with a lower-rate card and no cash back?

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 12:47 am

Xenon wrote:
janicka wrote:

A debit card number would be useless without my PIN number as well. And I am very careful about that...

True, but I am talking about the debit cards that have Mastercard and Visa logos on them so that they can be used as credit cards even though they have a pin number as well.

Sorry I didn't make that clear to begin with.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 1:35 am

alex wrote:
Hey All,

How many of you guys use credit cards? I've decided it's best to make all my purchases with credit cards as they have free cash back offers that are made possible by people who don't have the sense to pay their bills in full every month (many people only pay the minimum required which is a waste of money because you have to pay interest if you do that).

Cash back offers are great! It's like getting free money! Sometimes you can get up to 5% cash back depending on the credit card you have. Plus, I read that it's a good idea to build your credit so you have a good credit rating. Also, you should have at least 3 credit cards so lenders will see that you are able to effectively balance "debt" (although you should pay in full so you don't have debt due to the interest they tack on).

I have 2 visa cards right now but I'm planning on getting another one soon...

Don't trust credit cards. Much more potential for fraud than a good ol' debit card.

On sabbatical...

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 2:29 am

I wanted to play Final Fantasy XI, but then I found out you need a credit card!

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 6:27 am

Xenon wrote:
alex wrote:
Xenon wrote:
I hardly ever carry cash.

that can come back and bite you. I always carry cash in case of emergency

Such as...? I live in a city with a metro-area population of 1 million. Merchants all take debit cards, even taxicabs take credit cards. And there are bank machines close by where I live. So I am wondering what kind of emergency would require me to have cash on hand...

I also never carry cash. I do however have $20 tucked away in my desk somewhere. In the event of widespread loss of eletricity due to hurricane, etc., ATMs and bank networks may not work for a few hours or days.

- Emerson

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

22 Feb 2007, 8:56 am

MrMark wrote:

I also never carry cash. I do however have $20 tucked away in my desk somewhere. In the event of widespread loss of eletricity due to hurricane, etc., ATMs and bank networks may not work for a few hours or days.

I used to carry a few thousand in cash all the time. I tend to carry about $100 on me now.

alex
Developer
Developer

22 Feb 2007, 9:04 am

ZedSimon wrote:
Alex: cash back may be nice, but it's the interest rate that really counts. Take a good close look at what you're getting back at the end of the month or year (however your card does it), and compare it against what you're spending on interest. Does the cash you get back warrant the higher interest you're probably paying? Or would you have been better off with a lower-rate card and no cash back?

i pay off the card in full so I don't pay for interest.

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 9:09 am

janicka wrote:
True, but I am talking about the debit cards that have Mastercard and Visa logos on them so that they can be used as credit cards even though they have a pin number as well.

Sorry I didn't make that clear to begin with.

We don't have those in Canada, which is probably why I didn't think of them... :|

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 9:25 am

We pay for most things by credit card, but always pay off the whole bill each month.

If you do use credit cards, you need to be disciplined enough to live within your means & not allow interest to accumulate, or you can quickly get into financial difficulties.

We use a credit card backed by a large supermarket chain and so get loyalty points on everything we buy, even if it isn't from one of their stores. Last year the loyalty points paid for 3 weeks of holiday & an annual family-pass to a theme park.

So yes, if you choose your card wisely AND don't accumulate debt, then you can take great advantage of the offers.