Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,841
Location: London

08 May 2014, 2:47 pm

I have been struggling more and more with speech so I am using text to speech software to communicate. Although I can say single words, I cannot form sentences coherently and it comes out like crap / gibberish.

Can anyone else share their ways of communicating nonverbally?

How do I get it across to ignorant people (like my so-called carers or people who are narrow-minded) that I genuinely find speech extremely hard and it is much less agonising to use text to speech software? I've had people say "come on O, you have the power of speech! Stop being silly!"


_________________
I am a partially verbal classic autistic. I am a pharmacology student with full time support.


MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2014
Age: 70
Gender: Male
Posts: 425
Location: England

08 May 2014, 3:05 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I've had people say "come on O, you have the power of speech! Stop being silly!"


SM - it would be possible for your narrow-minded carers to interpret your comments as meaning "come on You Lot - you have the power to understand! Stop being silly".

Those people do not have the power to understand! Just as you do not have the power of speech.



SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,841
Location: London

08 May 2014, 3:08 pm

True. Thanks.


_________________
I am a partially verbal classic autistic. I am a pharmacology student with full time support.


ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 8 Jul 2009
Age: 32
Gender: Female
Posts: 790

09 May 2014, 7:12 am

I am also perferred nonverbal :) i wrote a blog post on why, not sure if it is the same for you but i will give you the link. if so it might help them understand better, I perdominantly use AAC apps for communication


http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/2014/ ... erbal.html

do you have any perfered AAC app?


_________________
Autism Service Dogs - Everyday heroes
many people spend their live looking for a hero
My autism service dog IS my hero

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/


SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,841
Location: London

09 May 2014, 11:06 pm

Thanks for the interesting post. I read your blog post and I can understand it well.

Today I took a Pharmacology exam and it went well. I was really happy and temporarily I could speak about it.

But once I got home I lost communication.

It seems that being overjoyed gives me temporary verbal moments. Even if I make no sense when I speak.

I have a text to speech app on my phone.

Tbh I am preferred nonverbal because people cannot understand what I say when I speak. At least with the app I can construct meaningful sentences. People were staring at me when I was talking to my friend about my exam. It was because my communication sounded like jargon. I wasn't speaking English, I was speaking my own language it seemed.

So when I'm overjoyed and verbal, I don't really make sense.

Only problem is, I feel extremely embarrassed to use my app to speak for me in public so I either end up saying nothing or attempting to speak and messing it up.

Speech for me is like speaking in a different language that I have a very hard time with the grammar and word choice.

I just get so embarrassed. I would love to use my app more often but I feel so embarrassed. So most of the time I cannot communicate at all.


_________________
I am a partially verbal classic autistic. I am a pharmacology student with full time support.


SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,841
Location: London

10 May 2014, 12:25 am

It seems I'll have to force myself to speak. Too many circumstances are making it impossible to use AAC.


_________________
I am a partially verbal classic autistic. I am a pharmacology student with full time support.


Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2014
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 127
Location: Gru's Lab

10 May 2014, 3:49 pm

I've read in your signature you also have Schizophrenia? Sometimes jumbled speech can be attributed to that as well. I can speak perfectly fine, when I want to, but I know others with it who can't. Not saying it's not because of your Asperger's as well, I'm not you, or a doctor, so I wouldn't know. Try to take some time before speaking, and organize your thoughts. Maybe that might help? Sorry if you didn't want my opinion, just trying to help. I know of a support site for Schizophrenics (well, for all areas of mental health) if you'd like the link. They may have more ways to help with jumbled speech, especially if you feel the jumbled speech comes from jumbled thought. I really hope I'm not offending you in any way, just trying to help.


_________________
AQ: 39 ---- RAADS-R: 187.0
Nonverbal Learning Disorder; diagnosed September 2010
Schizoaffective disorder; diagnosed December 2012
ASD/Asperger's Syndrome traits; diagnosed August 2014
IQ 120
(Diagnosed using the DSM-IV, not DSM-5)


SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,841
Location: London

10 May 2014, 4:02 pm

Minionkitty wrote:
I've read in your signature you also have Schizophrenia? Sometimes jumbled speech can be attributed to that as well. I can speak perfectly fine, when I want to, but I know others with it who can't. Not saying it's not because of your Asperger's as well, I'm not you, or a doctor, so I wouldn't know. Try to take some time before speaking, and organize your thoughts. Maybe that might help? Sorry if you didn't want my opinion, just trying to help. I know of a support site for Schizophrenics (well, for all areas of mental health) if you'd like the link. They may have more ways to help with jumbled speech, especially if you feel the jumbled speech comes from jumbled thought. I really hope I'm not offending you in any way, just trying to help.


Thank you, that makes sense. As my speech is slowly returning. I am able to converse a little.

I will talk to my psychiatrist about it as my speech does come out jumbled a lot.

I would like the link.

When I'm heading voices it's so hard to get words out. The Spies don't help either.


_________________
I am a partially verbal classic autistic. I am a pharmacology student with full time support.


Minionkitty
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 6 Apr 2014
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 127
Location: Gru's Lab

10 May 2014, 4:09 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
Minionkitty wrote:
I've read in your signature you also have Schizophrenia? Sometimes jumbled speech can be attributed to that as well. I can speak perfectly fine, when I want to, but I know others with it who can't. Not saying it's not because of your Asperger's as well, I'm not you, or a doctor, so I wouldn't know. Try to take some time before speaking, and organize your thoughts. Maybe that might help? Sorry if you didn't want my opinion, just trying to help. I know of a support site for Schizophrenics (well, for all areas of mental health) if you'd like the link. They may have more ways to help with jumbled speech, especially if you feel the jumbled speech comes from jumbled thought. I really hope I'm not offending you in any way, just trying to help.


Thank you, that makes sense. As my speech is slowly returning. I am able to converse a little.

I will talk to my psychiatrist about it as my speech does come out jumbled a lot.

I would like the link.

When I'm heading voices it's so hard to get words out. The Spies don't help either.

I will send you the link in a message here. It's a wonderfully supportive website.

Voices are difficult to deal with. Luckily I've found some relief from Haldol, for now. Schizophrenia can be very annoying. I'm diagnosed with Schizoaffective disorder. Equally annoying and troublesome.


_________________
AQ: 39 ---- RAADS-R: 187.0
Nonverbal Learning Disorder; diagnosed September 2010
Schizoaffective disorder; diagnosed December 2012
ASD/Asperger's Syndrome traits; diagnosed August 2014
IQ 120
(Diagnosed using the DSM-IV, not DSM-5)


cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 21 Feb 2011
Age: 51
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,794

10 May 2014, 8:17 pm

SteelMaiden wrote:
I have been struggling more and more with speech so I am using text to speech software to communicate. Although I can say single words, I cannot form sentences coherently and it comes out like crap / gibberish.

Can anyone else share their ways of communicating nonverbally?

How do I get it across to ignorant people (like my so-called carers or people who are narrow-minded) that I genuinely find speech extremely hard and it is much less agonising to use text to speech software? I've had people say "come on O, you have the power of speech! Stop being silly!"


I'm just curious if you dont mind me asking...if this preference not to use speech is a recent phenomena as to get a diagnosis of Aspergers you must have been able to use speech when you were originally diagnosed?



SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,841
Location: London

10 May 2014, 9:29 pm

Its a recent thing.

Minionkitty - thanks. I've tried 7 different antipsychotics and now my psychiatrist is considering to put me on above the maximum dose of olanzapine (in the UK the maximum dose is 20mg and she would put me on 25mg if my ECG is ok). Schizophrenia has taken 2.5 years in total of hospital stays from me. Sorry to hear you suffer too.


_________________
I am a partially verbal classic autistic. I am a pharmacology student with full time support.


ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jan 2014
Age: 23
Gender: Female
Posts: 537
Location: North East USA

10 May 2014, 10:22 pm

Although I am really high functioning Aspergers, I have a horrible time being verbal when I am overwhelmed. These past 2 semesters I took American Sign Language and now I sign to myself a lot. When I get overwhelmed I can still sign no problem, but the trouble is that no one else outside of my ASL class knows how to sign.



Callista
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Feb 2006
Age: 36
Gender: Female
Posts: 11,395
Location: Ohio, USA

11 May 2014, 1:09 am

Sometimes when I can't get words out, I pretend like I'm writing them and reading them out loud, or typing them and reading what I'm typing. That seems to be easier. I'm much more fluent in writing.

A person shouldn't have to communicate verbally if they don't want to, if it's difficult and tiring. There are more important things in life than communicating in a certain way. For that matter, non-disabled neurotypicals ought to be allowed to use AAC if they want to, just for fun; it's as valid a way of talking as any other, even if it does take a little longer. But I suppose they never will think of it as fun or interesting... even though they've embraced text-messages instead of talking on the phone.

Labeling something as "for people with disabilities" seems to have made people think that it ought only to be used as a last resort instead of by preference. It's silly that we can text instead of phoning people, but can't use AAC without getting funny looks.

The world is crazy sometimes. And they say we're the crazy ones. :roll:


_________________
Reports from a Resident Alien:
http://chaoticidealism.livejournal.com

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com


SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Aug 2006
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,841
Location: London

11 May 2014, 2:00 am

As I say to people: I'm normal. Everyone else is weird. Lol.


_________________
I am a partially verbal classic autistic. I am a pharmacology student with full time support.


SecretSoul
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

User avatar

Joined: 20 Mar 2014
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 22
Location: Las Vegas, NV

11 May 2014, 2:07 am

I don't know if this is something alot of Aspies have had occur, but there was a significant period of stress where I zoned out into Autism world as I call it. I sat and got so engrossed in studying my special interest on the computer that I literally didn't realize that everyone had been trying to communicate with me for 6 days. I blocked everything in my surroundings out, had no need to sleep, very little need to drink, no need to eat, and I'm not sure I could have spoken had I wanted to at this point. It could have been an acute stress reaction, but it was so natural to just exist there in my head without others interfering. Other than the fact that I wasn't sleeping or eating as I should have been, I often wish I could have just stayed in that place of solitude.