Could a more sophisticated being follow humans?

Page 4 of 5 [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

duncvis
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 7:23 am

Quote:
Life is too short not to try and bring you to Christ. You only have so much time to pick him before it's over. It's better sooner then later. As cruel as it sounds I'd rather give you a stomach ache by showing you God then to let you burn in hell. It just wouldn't sit right with me.

Sorry Kitsune - no proselytising here please. You've done your bit for your conscience, now let it rest eh?. :)

www.last.fm/user/nursethescreams <<my last.fm thingy

FOR THE HORDE!

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 7:34 am

duncvis wrote:
Sorry Kitsune - no proselytising here please. You've done your bit for your conscience, now let it rest eh?. :)

Ooooh? Sorry - I've been ignoring this thread.... Have I missed anything good? :) /me cracks knuckles and stretches ready for the unfortunate but apparent necessity of yet more bigot-baiting/debunking and philosophical filth clearance..... :twisted:

It's funny.... Surely if "winning souls for Jesus" really was so important to God, you'd have thought he'dve come up with a better means of doing it than getting fascist, uncharismatic, hysterical proles to shriek at you incoherently about it ad infinitum, which is all the "God Squads" ever seem capable of..... You know, all powerful, limitless creator - surely he could at least change the record or something if nothing else? :? I know he's very busy ignoring suffering, misery and worldwide famine, and just generally ****ing up creation right royally and all that, but surely he could spare just a little time to come up with something more efficient? If it was a high street chain-store trying to sell by the same tactics, they'dve dumped their ad agency decades ago (after going bankrupt).... "Buy Walmart stuff, or BURN IN HELL, sinner scumbags!! !!" :roll: Why do the fundamentalist nutjobs labour under the misapprehension that anyone gives a ****, anyway? God, we need another war to thin them out a little...... :evil:

And I don't know what it is about seething, hate-filled jerks ranting about the need for "love and tolerance" that makes me laugh hysterically every time, but somehow it just does.... :lol:

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 11:15 am

/miscellaneous fundamentalist somehow manages to log on as /me....

"Moderator action! I demand moderator action, now!! !! He must be banned for blatantly insulting us and for his inflaming tactics!! !! Do it, or I'll get you all sent to hell for eternity, you worthless scum-sucking bottom-feeding sinners :twisted:! !! !! ! Oh, and I love you all, by the way...... :oops: "

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 12:42 pm

gosh.

and, by the way - let's not get too excited about fossil evidence. there's only about four fossils ever been discovered (i exaggerate, of course, but it IS a ridiclously low number).

when i was a catholic (i.e., before i Saw The Dark), i was wisely and reliably advised to take the whole of the OT as an allegory, anyway. methusulah was just a bloke, and didn't actually live for 3 squizillion years, or whatever it was. AND the persons advising me were an RE teacher, and a couple of theologian priests (as opposed to the purely pastoral, parish- priest kind).

faith/spirituality/whatever you call it comes from within, and not imposed by somebody else's edicts, even if one does use the thoughts of others in the process, as guidelines, rather than as dogma.

ooh, i feel another film link coming on - alannis morrissette as god (i'm sure i've said this before...). and in flip-flops, no less.

Morlock
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2005, 1:13 pm

I see the whole establishement(s) of religion as fundamentally flawed anyway... There must be about fifty quintillion religions in the world, every one of them claiming that their way is THE way, and that it is not only inevitable but right that all others BURN IN HELL. What if its not Christ that comes along and raptures us, but Vishnu or Wotan or Ra? Every one of them basically emerges from an intellectual vacuum, offering no proof of their existance, demanding faith despite.
/Morlock

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 1:49 pm

Point is: When are ANY of us going to prove all this one way or the other??? Let us be happy, live our lives, and be satisfied in our individual beliefs and not try to push them onto others just to "save" them from one fate or another.

/me goes now for the Theory of ZEN. Argument is a waste of breath if we know that it leads nowhere but to frustration. Why BOTHER?

Let us instead relax and go hug our tree for the day.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 2:52 pm

vetivert wrote:
and, by the way - let's not get too excited about fossil evidence. there's only about four fossils ever been discovered (i exaggerate, of course, but it IS a ridiclously low number).

I could point out how fantastically unlikely it is that fossils even get formed in the first place, and how amazing it is that any of them survive at all, but won't :wink:

vetivert wrote:
when i was a catholic (i.e., before i Saw The Dark), i was wisely and reliably advised to take the whole of the OT as an allegory, anyway. methusulah was just a bloke, and didn't actually live for 3 squizillion years, or whatever it was. AND the persons advising me were an RE teacher, and a couple of theologian priests (as opposed to the purely pastoral, parish- priest kind).

Claiming everything as an "allegory" certainly makes all the inconsistencies and bunkum much easier to wriggle out of for their poor little beliefs..... :wink: You can prove that the World was created in approximately 2,500 BC you know if you take the Old Testament absolutely literally..... Get out of that one then, verbatim Word-Of-God fundamentalist horde! :lol:

vetivert wrote:
faith/spirituality/whatever you call it comes from within, and not imposed by somebody else's edicts, even if one does use the thoughts of others in the process, as guidelines, rather than as dogma.

Hear! Hear! As I always say - "faith" is a personal thing that "Organised Religion" has no part of...... OR can only corrupt, no more..... :evil:

vetivert wrote:
ooh, i feel another film link coming on - alannis morrissette as god (i'm sure i've said this before...). and in flip-flops, no less.

....and with light coming out of her mouth rather than.... other places.... :oops:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 3:35 am

yay! don't diss the morrissette, sugar...

"and every time i scratch my nails..."

used to be my answering machine message... what fun, what larks!

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 3:57 am

Quote:
let's not get too excited about fossil evidence. there's only about four fossils ever been discovered

I may be completely misunderstanding the discussion here because I have not been interested in the thread so far so I haven't read all the posts but when you mention fossils my ears prick up because I was fascinated by fossils in my teens.

I don't understand the above quote ~ I had a collection of about 20 fossils when I was younger, there are hundreds of fossils in every museum, they are literally falling out of the cliffs at Lyme Regis and Church Stretton.

There is plenty of fossil evidence for evolution.

There is also plenty of genetic evidence. I can't remember the exact percentages but we share about 95% of our genetic code with apes, a surprising percentage with pigs and even have a provable genetic relation to the daffodil.

This is fact.

Religion is fiction.

God was invented by people (not the other way around).

Religion is our way of coping with things we don't understand and as science improves our understanding so the need for religion diminishes.

Rant, rant, rave, rave :lol:

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 4:32 am

Asparval wrote:
Rant, rant, rave, rave :lol:

PMSL !

and lyme regis is FAB for fossicking!

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 5:05 am

Quote:
and lyme regis is FAB for fossicking!

Ahhh! Lyme Regis ~ birthplace of Mary Anning ~ the 'mother of modern paleontology' and popular seaside resort. :D

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 7:47 am

Asparval wrote:
Religion is fiction.

God was invented by people (not the other way around).

Religion is our way of coping with things we don't understand and as science improves our understanding so the need for religion diminishes.

Kudos, Asparval, for finally getting down to brass tacks. I imagine we would all save a lot of time and avoid typing injuries if this concise collection of facts headed the PP+R forum.

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 5:50 pm

no theory I know proves there is another being.

vetivert
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 6:13 pm

ghotistix - just noticed your signature...

yay! bonzos fans unite!

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 7:40 pm

vetivert wrote:
ghotistix - just noticed your signature...

yay! bonzos fans unite!

Errrrr..... You don't even know how much street cred you just lost there, dearest..... :wink: His signature refers to the rather splendid contemporary American indie band, rather than the Bonzo Dog Doo Dah track after which they were named....

vetivert: "What are Death Cab For Cutie?"
TAFKASH: "I believe they're a popular beat combo, M'lud...." :lol:

ghotistix
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 11:58 pm

Yes, one of my favorite DCFC tracks. But while I wouldn't call myself a fan, I'm quite familiar with the Bonzos! I've got the feeling you two would get along great with my dad, a total Vivian Stanshall fanboy.

TAFKASH! You're familiar with Death Cab for Cutie! AND Sigur Ros? AND Arcade Fire?! I haven't seen a more finely crafted musical taste since, well, myself. We must have a long-winded discussion on the future of guitar-based music some time!

Aaaaand now back to our regularly scheduled programming: the systematic dismantling of fundamentalism!