Poll: What kind of book does the Aspie community most need?

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What kind of book do we need the most?
A guide to Aspies for NTs 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
A guide to Aspies for NTs 14%  14%  [ 11 ]
Advocacy to put AS back in the DSM 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Advocacy to put AS back in the DSM 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
A guide for us about finding our sense of self-identity 4%  4%  [ 3 ]
A guide for us about finding our sense of self-identity 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
An Aspie woman's autobiography 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
An Aspie woman's autobiography 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A guide for us about aging 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A guide for us about aging 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
A guide for us about office politics 3%  3%  [ 2 ]
A guide for us about office politics 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
A guide for us about subtle social interaction 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
A guide for us about subtle social interaction 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
More than one of those (please specify in reply) 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
More than one of those (please specify in reply) 9%  9%  [ 7 ]
Something not on this list (please specify in reply) 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Something not on this list (please specify in reply) 11%  11%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 80

Uncanny_Valerie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 May 2014, 6:04 am

I'm a writer by trade. Since I discovered I have Asperger's, I have wanted to use my skills to help the community.

I've read a bunch of books on Asperger's, both by autistic people and non-autistic people. I've browsed a lot of websites, too.

I have a few ideas for what we might need more of. Please vote, and more importantly, make suggestions for what to include, or completely new topics. Thanks!

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 6:30 am

My personal vote went to a guide about Asperger's and autism for NTs. I think that there is still very poor awareness among the general public, about what the entire autism spectrum really is and what people on the spectrum are really like, and what challenges they face.

There is a massive amount of total misconception out there, from people who still instantly think "Rain Man," to people who think autism automatically equals low IQ, or automatically means you are non-verbal and can't interact socially at all, etc, therefore if someone is none of these things, they can't have it. I think there isn't enough awareness that it's a spectrum. I get the impression that because of this kind of thing, a lot of AS people run into the cynicism that arises from this kind of lack of information/ignorance, and constantly have to educate people.

Last edited by BirdInFlight on 10 May 2014, 6:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 6:40 am

Quote:
A guide for us about subtle social interaction

Yes, please! :) It's a returning problem, that I actually need an 'advanced social skills course'. I manage quite well in easy situations but when things get more complicated I often have no clue of what to do. I really wish that something like this could be offered here but most social skills courses are way below my level. It'd be a difficult thing to teach but I feel I really need to learn. I think that there's a huge lack of social skill improvement material for (socially) high functioning autistics. Because we DO struggle but it's a bit less obvious.

(not a native speaker)

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 6:52 am

I'm not sure what it would come under on the list, but I was thinking the other day how I'd like to read something like a dialogue - or series of dialogues - between an Aspie and an NT, (or plural of each) where rather than making straight-up observational declarations about themselves or the other, they do their best to understand the other, ask each other to clarify certain things, encourage each other to reflect on various issues, etc.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 9:23 am

Advocacy to put AS back in the DSM
A guide for us about office politics
A guide for us about subtle social interaction

All of the above, and also. a guide for us to understand NTs outside of subtle social interaction and office politics. Something that covers everything.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 11:10 am

I think a book about mid-functioning autism to non-autistics.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 11:14 am

Personally, I would love to see some fiction that isn't based on stereotypes and doesn't have "robotic sounding" writing. I think NTs in general would be more likely to pick up a fiction book with an ASD character than a nonfiction book (unless they actually know an aspie/autie and are trying to learn more), so more people could learn about it.

However, to choose one on your list, I would say a guide for us about finding our self identity because this is something I am really struggling with now, I don't know how to grow up and become my own person.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 11:22 am

Quill wrote:
Personally, I would love to see some fiction that isn't based on stereotypes and doesn't have "robotic sounding" writing.

I'd love that too! Not for NTs but for the fiction lovers among us! I hate how aspie characters always have every single trait and are stereotypical. I cannot relate to them at all, and everyone needs to see themselves in fiction. And not only do I wanna see believable aspies in fiction, I want the fiction to be 'normal', that is, not the kind of fiction where someone with AS is needed for the plot. I simply want a story where the character happens to be an aspie.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 11:28 am

Skilpadde wrote:
Quill wrote:
Personally, I would love to see some fiction that isn't based on stereotypes and doesn't have "robotic sounding" writing.

I'd love that too! Not for NTs but for the fiction lovers among us! I hate how aspie characters always have every single trait and are stereotypical. I cannot relate to them at all, and everyone needs to see themselves in fiction. And not only do I wanna see believable aspies in fiction, I want the fiction to be 'normal', that is, not the kind of fiction where someone with AS is needed for the plot. I simply want a story where the character happens to be an aspie.

Yes, I agree! I was just thinking about those stereotypical books, so I guess I was thinking about something to help counter that image of us for NTs, but I would love to read those kinds of books for myself too. And yes, definitely a book with a plot other than "see the aspie".

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 11:52 am

Fiction, with an assortment of Autistic people with totally different personalities.

One of the side effects of the meds I am on is that I seem to have lost the ability to "go into the place" where I do not lose my words and where I can articulate well. Before I became ill, I was halfway through the second book in a trilogy that was geared toward a readership of pre-teen, early teen Autistics [ and hopefully a few non-Autistics who might learn something about us] At this time I am so far unable to find a way back into that place.

While writing, I would often share excerpts of what I was writing with different Autistic young people. They did NOT all identify with one particular character in the story, but they pretty much all found one that would trigger them to say "He/she is just like me!"

I tried to represent a variety of unique Autistic characters. Very few of them fit into the stereotype very well. Saying that, I am aware that there are few extroverted Autistics as compared to introverts, and that my writing does present more of the outgoing than introverted characters. That is deliberate for two reasons. One, because the "little professor" type Autistic,in my opinion,has already been overly portrayed. But mostly because I am one of the extroverted, ADHHHHHHHHHHD, "spazzy", non-genius Autistic who is rarely represented either in literature or the media.

Anyway, that is the type of books for Autistics I would love to see and hope to both have the time left and the ability to complete.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 12:37 pm

I feel like each book about autism spreads stereotypes more, because NTs think that autistic people should be just like the author or the character.

Lillikoi
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 12:51 pm

I think it would be awesome if there was a book about a character on the spectrum that was written by an aspie.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 12:55 pm

A guide on how to rewire your brain to be more NT. That book would talk about biomedical treatments, medication and brain exercises.

mezzanotte
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 1:44 pm

It's an interesting poll and thread; however, my advice is to write about what interests you rather than cater to specific readerships. : )

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 4:26 pm

Subtle social interaction
Guide on Aspies for NTs
Guide to office politics

Those are my top 3 in order.

Also I would like a book where each 'chapter' is a first person autobiography of someone on the spectrum, each with different functioning levels and diagnosis's to show the spectrum.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 4:51 pm

I'm curious about the "A guide for us about finding our sense of self-identity". Would that be identity for individuals or as a group?