Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2014, 7:37 pm

I have tried this question various times and places, but I'm still interested in peoples' opinions...

I reckon that there are only three essential human needs, and they are as follows:-

1. Food (& drink)
2. Shelter (includes heating, clothing)
3. Sex

There are countless magazines, TV programmes and sources of advice dedicated to each of the three, but number three (sex) is always under plain cover. Why is it so acceptable to compare our homes and our recipes, but totally unacceptable to share the finer details of our sexual tastes?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 7:40 pm

Some people find some sexual things gross, that's why. This is true to a lesser extent with food, as well - so I don't discuss meat dishes with vegetarian friends.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 7:42 pm

Essential human needs should not be a privilege, but from what I observe some people tend to disagree with that. That said not so sure sex is an essential human need per say and due to the personal nature of it two people have to agree to indulge in that someone can't just decide they need sex and demand people give it to them.

But food, water, access to medical care, shelter and such things would be more in the category of essential human needs.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2014, 7:45 pm

puddingmouse wrote:
Some people find some sexual things gross, that's why. This is true to a lesser extent with food, as well - so I don't discuss meat dishes with vegetarian friends.

But meat-eating takes place in all sorts of public places! It's unavoidable...

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 7:56 pm

I don't think sex is an essential human need on a level with physical sustenance and shelter and, as noted, medical provision. If you're going to rope it in as one, then along (or even before) it you need to bring in friendship, companionship, love.

What do you suppose such an attitude to the 'finer details' of sex would look like?

And people do compare their sex lives. I have had the misfortune to overhear such conversations.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 May 2014, 8:10 pm

Hopper wrote:
I don't think sex is an essential human need on a level with physical sustenance and shelter and, as noted, medical provision. If you're going to rope it in as one, then along (or even before) it you need to bring in friendship, companionship, love.

What do you suppose such an attitude to the 'finer details' of sex would look like?

And people do compare their sex lives. I have had the misfortune to overhear such conversations.

Have you never noticed that even in the worst living conditions imaginable - even where there is no food or shelter, there are always babies?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 10:03 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:
puddingmouse wrote:

But meat-eating takes place in all sorts of public places! It's unavoidable...

That's why I said, 'to a lesser extent.'

We close our mouths while chewing because people find seeing that aspect of eating gross. It's what table manners are all about.

All bodily functions are subject to taboos to a greater or lesser extent. Being housed isn't a bodily function, so that's why there are no taboos about having a home (well, there might be in some obscure cultures, I guess - or nomads would object to a permanent home for themselves, but not be disgusted by other people living in houses.)

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 10:31 pm

I'd add access to inebriants to that list. Sincerely.

Getting out of ones head is sometimes far more important that sustenance, shelter, or company.

Basic human needs aren't unfortunately basic entitlements, I'm of the opinion that everyone is entitled to the food and shelter bit though.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 11:52 pm

Food
Shelter
Love
Sex
Meaning
Self-actualization

Fair to note that people can argue that one can't claim sex as an entitlement between two people but it can just as easily be one, three, or more. It's not necessarily dirty either (well, perhaps messy at times) and can be a transcendental experience in all cases if handled with proper respect. A good rule of thumb perhaps - if a thing feels sacred and divine, treat it in that esteem.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 5:53 am

This one (The Maslow hierarchy of needs) appears to be widely used even to this day:

However, the Maslow pyramid has been criticised for assuming that the ranking of needs is the same across cultures.

And as Pobbles said, needs ≠ entitlements.

It would perhaps be more prudent to use "wants" than "needs", as the latter usually has normative connotations.

thomas81
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 6:23 am

frankly I am stunned that sex could register as a 'need' on any chart of needs, pyramid or otherwise.

My deviant art profile

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 12:28 pm

Origen and Tesla thought that way too.

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2014, 2:58 pm

how is sex a basic need is beyond me. maybe for men

slave
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 3:01 pm

MrGrumpy wrote:
I have tried this question various times and places, but I'm still interested in peoples' opinions...

I reckon that there are only three essential human needs, and they are as follows:-

1. Food (& drink)
2. Shelter (includes heating, clothing)
3. Sex

There are countless magazines, TV programmes and sources of advice dedicated to each of the three, but number three (sex) is always under plain cover. Why is it so acceptable to compare our homes and our recipes, but totally unacceptable to share the finer details of our sexual tastes?

You may wish to include air on your list.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 3:33 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Tesla was a pretty weird dude in general.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 3:40 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Tesla was a pretty weird dude in general.

Right. I was referring to what thomas81 said above that and implying what both of these gentlemen did with their genitals to solve their problems (or at least I often hear from people at different times that Tesla pulled an Origen).

If strict deprivation of something has highly imbalancing results - IMHO it's a need.