Why does the US government hate men so much?

Page 5 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 3:00 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:
cannotthinkoff wrote:
Luckily tables are slowly turning around, future is not looking so bright for the men, haha.

You will be very, very poor long before you get to enjoy that. You've lowered other people's boats. Too bad (for you) that you can't raise yours.

This is rubbish.

As you can see, as women's wages rise... men's wages rise! :o

I am not implying a causal relationship, merely that your suggested causal relationship is poo-poo.

Mr. Walrus, you've been guilty of a lot more rubbish in your posts here than I have been in mine.

First of all, your numbers are limited to people who are employed.

Secondly, your chart shows that men's wages have been flat since 1975. How does that support your statement that "men's wages rise?" It also shows a period if intense growth in wages from the 1950s to the early 1970s (a period in which women had moved back into traditional roles). Furthermore, it shows that wages for women working full-time grew just as fast during that period of male dominance as they have since.

I would also take issue with the way that the BLS calculates price indices, but I don't need to in this case.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 3:46 pm

cannotthinkoff wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
This isnt sexist at all eh? [youtube] [/youtube] So its true all men are stupid? We only know how to fix a leaking faucet or automatically know how to fix a car?Heres some more sexism towards men men are expected to be stupid like in the oven ride so easy a man can do it. [youtube] [/youtube]

Looks like you did not read my post.

This is not sexist, this, for your information, is considered a form of humor in the NT world. Men can make fun of themselves, but you cannot make fun of women, minorities, races and other (historically or not) disadvantaged people if you want to be sensitive.

As I said, general consensus is that men are smarter than women, that women "cant even change a light bulb", so this is why these ads are considered funny. How did you even get the idea that "men are stupid"? This is said either of hatred, or trying to mock bad habits men tend to have, or because it is funny, or the audience which its aimed at is female.

If you get offended and take this sort of media personally as sexist, you should imagine how women should feel with all the sexism in the media and advertising. This pales in comparison.

If it's true that it's okay to make fun of privileged groups but not the oppressed than how come we don't hear more white person jokes and we aren't exposed to nearly as many white person stereotypes? It seems like the media makes fun of men but not white people. Both are privileged groups so why is it that only one of them gets the "acceptable target" treatment?

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 3:59 pm

RainbowFairy wrote:
If America doesn't hate men then why are the majority of CEOs and politicians and people in positions of power women?
Oh wait...

One of the reasons is because men and women often choose different educations. The college educations that will make you wealthy and powerful are things like law, engineering, computer science, business administration. In most places the overwhelming majority of students of those subjects will be male.
Look at all those ridiculously overpriced internet companies. Most founders will be male, because most computer scientists and software developers will be male.
Around here almost all primary school teachers are women. That is a very important job, but it won't make you wealthy and powerful.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 8:18 pm

Lawrence Summers, former president of Harvard University put forth some hypothesis to explain why there is a higher proportion of men in high-end science and engineering positions.

1. The high-powered job hypothesis

-Men are more likely to purse "high powered" jobs.

2.Different availability of aptitude at the high end hypothesis

- "Generally greater variability among men (compared to women) in tests of cognitive abilities, leading to proportionally more males than females at both the lower and upper tails of the test score distributions".

Thus, a higher % of men than woman perform better on tests.

3.Different socialization and patterns of discrimination in a job search hypothesis

-Women are socialized into non-STEM jobs, and also face some discrimination that deters them from such occupations.

source, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Summers

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 9:26 pm

*shrug*

I didn't pursue a STEM job because I suck at math. It has nothing to do with "Evil Patriarchy" or because men are "oppressing" me.

Mostly, from my personal experience. most of the women who complain the loudest about the lack of women in STEM fields were the ones majoring in stupid crap like English or Early Childhood Development. As of August, I'll be pursuing a B.S. in medical laboratory science, but I have little fear that men are going to prevent me from attaining it. I've found that I've done well in "male jobs" once I proved that I was willing to work hard.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 10:12 am

I just don't see the relevance in all this. Statistics are fine and dandy--but they frequently don't apply to individual people; they should be considered as merely a generalized "take" on things. The only way people could advance is through their own initiative--keeping in mind prevailing trends so as to enable his/her self to adapt to these trends in their own manner.

Each individual person is not a statistic.

I am an individual man who might have benefited from the "patriarchy"--I probably, didn't, though.

Women, owing to their advocacy, are rising in every profession.

I work within a court system. Most of the judges are now women; most of the Assistant District Attorneys are now women. This is a fact. The source is my own objective observation.

At any college, there is, in the vast majority of instances, a 55-45 percent plurality in favor of women. Much of the time, it's above 60-40. The source is in the enrollment statistics at individual colleges.

I think the "playing field" is evening out at a rapid rate.