Why does the US government hate men so much?

Page 4 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 1:19 pm

cannotthinkoff wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:
1: My state just passed the "Women's Economic Security Act." The naming of it is a little unfortunate, since according to BLS data, men lost jobs during the "recession" at 2.6 times the rate of women. The bill uses education level to determine when it's OK to pay differently, even though our colleges have a hard time showing that their product improves students' intellectual performance.

2: Schools favor girls in general: They select for people who are willing to sit for long periods of time. That's more common in girls, but has nothing to do with intelligence. The only study that I've read about it showed that kids who were physically active during class performed better than those who weren't. Age-advanced language skills are also favored in school, even to the point of rewarding grandiloquence in people who've failed to master concrete subjects.

3: We don't even teach the hard stuff in school anymore, and boys did will on it. Dawrin's own description of his thinking style (in his autobiography) showed that he was extremely right-brained and visuospatial. IBM's Virginia Rometty said in a piece in the Economist a while ago: "Smarter enterprises will make decisions by capturing data and applying predictive analytics, rather than just relying on past experience." Actually, men have excelled at that for ages. My grandfather was extremely good at it. So is my dad. Neither of them needed a big-iron server and a rack of terabyte hard drives to do data science. There's never been any other kind of science.

You systematically wiped out our best students and replaced them with dunces, and now one of those dunces wants to pretend that proper analysis is some sort of new invention.

4: Our punishments for sex crimes are some of the harshest. We have laws that aren't constitutional, like Minnesota's "treatment" system for sex offenders.

1. How is this relevant? Seems quite logical to me.

Would you pass a "White Economic Security Act?"

What's "logical" about using a standard that isn't performance-based to favor one person over another? I've already debated the performance of our schools:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postxf257450 ... ml#6050803
http://www.wrongplanet.net/posts257450-start315.html

Quote:
2. No. I speak from my own experience, I've had to endure a lot of sh** from people when I decided to follow the science path. And still I have to work twice as hard to be considered equal to male students. This is well recognized, that female scientists have to work much harder in order to receive the same level of respect, and eventually to land the same job. You have no idea how hard it was. And this your statement is so unbelievably inaccurate and sexist. You have no idea how much sh** I had to go through just for being a girl. Educational system is not perfect, but to claim that it is feminized and placing men at a grave disadvantage is plain BS. Every girl knows that to survive in this world she will have to work twice as hard as a man. And she does.

That's the exact opposite of what I've seen. Even going back to the 1940s, women who were good at engineering advanced to very high levels. Hedy Lamarr and Grace Hopper were (and still are) very highly regarded.

I heard lots of nasty comments about men who sucked at their jobs, but never once a negative comment about a woman who did solid work.

Engineering is a much more meritocratic field than education, which is 69% female. A friend of mine who was studying to be a German teacher had to spend most of her time learning preschool-level education techniques, even though she would never use them. The program was full of hurtles meant to favor people that the hierarchy liked, while keeping out people that they disliked. There was no evidence to justify most of it. Engineering can be rough, but it's not particularly unfair.

I would be surprised if you worked twice as hard as the men, but I've been surprised before. What's your field?

Quote:
3. What was that. look at the east, in korea where they teach pretty hardcore stuff.

looks like you think that proper data analysis and statistics is a new invention, as all is made up by feminists

I used to run a lab. Among other things, we calibrated quality control equipment for GE's jet engine division. I had to sign off on every measurement, leaving a paper trail in case I made a mistake. Yes, I do have a lot of doubts about your "statistics." Unlike social science ditzes, I had to get my numbers right.

East Asian companies have done an awesome job at implementation. Not so much at new design. We're not doing a very good job at either anymore.

Quote:
4. Serves you right. Why do you keep defending sex offenders.

Because not all of them are sex offenders:

http://www.economist.com/news/obituary/ ... bert-tibbs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Garrett

http://forward.com/articles/182399/leo- ... ish/?p=all

Because we have a constitution, the principles of which you invoke whenever it suits you, only to ignore them in a case like this one.

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2014, 1:52 pm

NobodyKnows wrote:

I would pass "Black Economic Security Act". But that's another issue, how liberal you are etc.

You are unable to see historical evidence clearly. This is a well known fact, I don't see what you mean by that. Women have had a very hard time to be recognized in science. A man will always be favored unless a woman is exceptionally good. Negative comments dont matter, what matters is statistics. You are thinking in ways and notions I can't comprehend. The point is that in exact science fields man is assumed to be more competent than a woman by default. There are lots of studies that show this. My field is applied mathematics, and I run simulations. You don't know how many times I have encountered sexism, both direct and indirect.

Basically I see now that you have no idea what you are talking about, but you are really convinced that you do. So I'm just gonna leave you with your delusions.

Looks like you are older than me and you had some valuable life experience. yet you still dwell on these sort of ideas, so I'll just assume that you've been hurt by women and this is your way of dealing with this.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 1:55 pm

cannotthinkoff wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
cannotthinkoff wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Insurance companies and the media hate men that's why they encourage male bashing ads in the media.

And there is no actual basis for that whatsoever, just hate for the sake of it, right. They are just bashing men without any relation to reality, just to overcharge them. All men are nice, nonviolent, decent citizens, and totally not into risky behavior.
Some are and some arent its just justified sexism towards men and yes sexism towards men exists, the media encourages male bashing giving people the idea that men are always the idiots doing idiotic things while women are always smart and mature and don't do stupid stuff at all. The irony is i have come across as many stupid women as men it baffles me why women try to copy my answers when taking a test in geology or any other scientific field I do tend to get the highest grade in the entire class yet I am a man ohhh the contradiction Im a male but intelligent how can that happen? How many others can learn a language like mandarin in only a few weeks and converse in it? I sure can as well as 8 other languages yet I am a male im supposed to be stupid, a doofus unable to accomplish anything other than be expected to fix a woman's car or a leaking faucet!

what are you talking about, the media is seriously getting to you. the stereotype is that women are stupid and incapable of independent thought at all. these tv shows and stuff, its only because men allow to have a laugh at their expense, and women dont, because when you've been oppressed for throusands of years, its not really funny. the same way that you cant do comedy about black people stereotypes. but you can about men, because thats not a man - thats a person. so these flaws are meant to represent humanitys flaws, not mens.. which just shows how sexist our society is. you're taking this thing too personally and perhaps because your life experience was different than that of an ordinary man.

There is no sexism towards men which would even compare to that women, other races and older/younger people face. A white middle class male really should not complain at the expense of other groups. And going back to the first point, just to emphasize, women are stupid - that's the stereotype, NOT the other way round. A few tv shows dont change that.
This isnt sexist at all eh? [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T09sp5e5jHo[/youtube] So its true all men are stupid? We only know how to fix a leaking faucet or automatically know how to fix a car?Heres some more sexism towards men men are expected to be stupid like in the oven ride so easy a man can do it. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62sl-qWEqo[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 May 2014, 2:19 pm

AspieOtaku wrote:
This isnt sexist at all eh? [youtube] [/youtube] So its true all men are stupid? We only know how to fix a leaking faucet or automatically know how to fix a car?Heres some more sexism towards men men are expected to be stupid like in the oven ride so easy a man can do it. [youtube] [/youtube]

Looks like you did not read my post.

This is not sexist, this, for your information, is considered a form of humor in the NT world. Men can make fun of themselves, but you cannot make fun of women, minorities, races and other (historically or not) disadvantaged people if you want to be sensitive.

As I said, general consensus is that men are smarter than women, that women "cant even change a light bulb", so this is why these ads are considered funny. How did you even get the idea that "men are stupid"? This is said either of hatred, or trying to mock bad habits men tend to have, or because it is funny, or the audience which its aimed at is female.

If you get offended and take this sort of media personally as sexist, you should imagine how women should feel with all the sexism in the media and advertising. This pales in comparison.

NobodyKnows
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 3:00 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
NobodyKnows wrote:
cannotthinkoff wrote:
Luckily tables are slowly turning around, future is not looking so bright for the men, haha.

You will be very, very poor long before you get to enjoy that. You've lowered other people's boats. Too bad (for you) that you can't raise yours.

This is rubbish.

As you can see, as women's wages rise... men's wages rise! :o

I am not implying a causal relationship, merely that your suggested causal relationship is poo-poo.

Mr. Walrus, you've been guilty of a lot more rubbish in your posts here than I have been in mine.

First of all, your numbers are limited to people who are employed.

Secondly, your chart shows that men's wages have been flat since 1975. How does that support your statement that "men's wages rise?" It also shows a period if intense growth in wages from the 1950s to the early 1970s (a period in which women had moved back into traditional roles). Furthermore, it shows that wages for women working full-time grew just as fast during that period of male dominance as they have since.

I would also take issue with the way that the BLS calculates price indices, but I don't need to in this case.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 3:46 pm

cannotthinkoff wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
This isnt sexist at all eh? [youtube] [/youtube] So its true all men are stupid? We only know how to fix a leaking faucet or automatically know how to fix a car?Heres some more sexism towards men men are expected to be stupid like in the oven ride so easy a man can do it. [youtube] [/youtube]

Looks like you did not read my post.

This is not sexist, this, for your information, is considered a form of humor in the NT world. Men can make fun of themselves, but you cannot make fun of women, minorities, races and other (historically or not) disadvantaged people if you want to be sensitive.

As I said, general consensus is that men are smarter than women, that women "cant even change a light bulb", so this is why these ads are considered funny. How did you even get the idea that "men are stupid"? This is said either of hatred, or trying to mock bad habits men tend to have, or because it is funny, or the audience which its aimed at is female.

If you get offended and take this sort of media personally as sexist, you should imagine how women should feel with all the sexism in the media and advertising. This pales in comparison.

If it's true that it's okay to make fun of privileged groups but not the oppressed than how come we don't hear more white person jokes and we aren't exposed to nearly as many white person stereotypes? It seems like the media makes fun of men but not white people. Both are privileged groups so why is it that only one of them gets the "acceptable target" treatment?

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 3:59 pm

RainbowFairy wrote:
If America doesn't hate men then why are the majority of CEOs and politicians and people in positions of power women?
Oh wait...

One of the reasons is because men and women often choose different educations. The college educations that will make you wealthy and powerful are things like law, engineering, computer science, business administration. In most places the overwhelming majority of students of those subjects will be male.
Look at all those ridiculously overpriced internet companies. Most founders will be male, because most computer scientists and software developers will be male.
Around here almost all primary school teachers are women. That is a very important job, but it won't make you wealthy and powerful.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 8:18 pm

Lawrence Summers, former president of Harvard University put forth some hypothesis to explain why there is a higher proportion of men in high-end science and engineering positions.

1. The high-powered job hypothesis

-Men are more likely to purse "high powered" jobs.

2.Different availability of aptitude at the high end hypothesis

- "Generally greater variability among men (compared to women) in tests of cognitive abilities, leading to proportionally more males than females at both the lower and upper tails of the test score distributions".

Thus, a higher % of men than woman perform better on tests.

3.Different socialization and patterns of discrimination in a job search hypothesis

-Women are socialized into non-STEM jobs, and also face some discrimination that deters them from such occupations.

source, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Summers

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2014, 9:26 pm

*shrug*

I didn't pursue a STEM job because I suck at math. It has nothing to do with "Evil Patriarchy" or because men are "oppressing" me.

Mostly, from my personal experience. most of the women who complain the loudest about the lack of women in STEM fields were the ones majoring in stupid crap like English or Early Childhood Development. As of August, I'll be pursuing a B.S. in medical laboratory science, but I have little fear that men are going to prevent me from attaining it. I've found that I've done well in "male jobs" once I proved that I was willing to work hard.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2014, 10:12 am

I just don't see the relevance in all this. Statistics are fine and dandy--but they frequently don't apply to individual people; they should be considered as merely a generalized "take" on things. The only way people could advance is through their own initiative--keeping in mind prevailing trends so as to enable his/her self to adapt to these trends in their own manner.

Each individual person is not a statistic.

I am an individual man who might have benefited from the "patriarchy"--I probably, didn't, though.

Women, owing to their advocacy, are rising in every profession.

I work within a court system. Most of the judges are now women; most of the Assistant District Attorneys are now women. This is a fact. The source is my own objective observation.

At any college, there is, in the vast majority of instances, a 55-45 percent plurality in favor of women. Much of the time, it's above 60-40. The source is in the enrollment statistics at individual colleges.

I think the "playing field" is evening out at a rapid rate.