Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2014, 3:27 pm

Dear friends and fellow aspies,

I'm in my last school year, and I want to become an inventor or an engineer or something.
My whole life I have searched for places where I can share information with people, without people becoming annoyed by my way of sharing cool and
in my opinion interesting information. I think in the past libraries had this function, but since the invention of computers and TV and games etc. I have the feeling there is no alternative for my interest in sharing information with my fellow human beings :)

Do you agree a little bit with my opinion, do you think there should become a palce where people can peacefully share interesting information and inventions or something?

Thanks in advance :)

Last edited by paxfilosoof on 11 May 2014, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2014, 3:29 pm

I think personally the internet have/had this function a little bit but not in a BIG way, I hope you understand what I mean with this :)

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 5:06 pm

Hm, no, I'm not sure libraries should be the place for aspies to monologue about their special interests. Maybe if you write a book about it and get it published, then the library would be the place for it. ;) I agree that the internet is the place for this sort of thing--writing a blog, answering questions in a forum, etc.

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 6:59 pm

^^
You can share on this site, in the Science and Tech sub-forum.

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

12 May 2014, 6:39 am

"Hackerspaces" might interest you. Maybe there is one in your local area?

LINK

paxfilosoof
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 May 2014, 12:38 pm

foxfield wrote:
"Hackerspaces" might interest you. Maybe there is one in your local area?

LINK

Nope, :(

This world is all made for neurotypical settings, like bars and parties etc.

There is no place for the most modern humans who're interested in information transfer not nonverbal prehistoric stuff...

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 4:57 pm

Seriously? I think people attend universities, lectures, workshops, study groups, book clubs, and lots of other social spaces that are intended for information transfer. There are whole industries built around it--things like TED talks (https://www.ted.com/), etc.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

13 May 2014, 2:48 am

In the mid 1970's I saw a movie called 'Rollerball' with James Caan and there was one scene where he was in a library and there were no books, they had all been digitized. This of course was well before the Internet was even a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee's eye but we're there now, here, today.

I have a 64Gb usb stick that contains thousands of technical magazines, all scanned and saved in pdf format. The stick also contains a few hundred books, enough for a small library. Once in a while I look through the torrent sites and sometimes come across books and magazine collections that are of interest so maybe this sort of arrangement could be a starting point for your idea.

Start up a website and use it to host downloadable pdf copies of useful material. Copyright WILL be a problem here so expect a few takedown notices (for example ELEKTOR are very keen on this and they cannot be easily found online).