Do non Godzilla fans want to see the new movie?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 4:48 pm

I'm more than just interested in seeing it, I really want to see this. The thing is I've never really been a big Godzilla fan in the past. I grew up knowing about him, I've seen him referenced in many tv shows and movies but I've never actually seen the original 1954 movie or any of the others and it's not like I really want to expect for the original 1954 movie. I have actually seen one Godzilla movie a lot in the past and guess which one it is. The one that everyone (the fans boys I assume) hates and I also use to watch the cartoon series that was attached to that movie.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 8:02 pm

I remember the old Godzilla movies made in Japan when I was growing up and they were really "cheesey" by today's standards.
There would be an obvious human being wearing a costume grappling with one of Godzilla's arch-enemies. The lip sync would also always be off. That is what made them so popular I am not in the least interested in the new release of Godzilla where everything is made to look more realistic.

GlennBecksTears
Raven
Raven

11 May 2014, 8:46 pm

I'm not a fan but since it features Byran Cranston I'm in.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 8:49 pm

I could not care less. Last night I saw a stupid car commercial where the stupid new Godzilla tried to eat the stupid car with the stupid people in it, but he chokes and spits it back out and in tiny print on the screen it says "Didn't actually happen". They're assuming we're so completely mentally defective we'd believe an obviously CGI giant mutant reptile tried to swallow a car with a family in it?
Did I mention it was stupid? :doh:

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 8:59 pm

I'm mildly curious. I'd go if I somehow got a free ticket and was free

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 9:03 pm

I'm curious about it. I did enjoy Pacific Rim.

I have also enjoyed Tokyo S.O.S. and Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. The main reason is that I like giant robots. So maybe I have the futile hope one of Godzilla's mechanical opponents will make an appearance like Mechagodzilla with the Absolute Zero Cannon.

redrobin62
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 9:48 pm

I hope the movie is fun. I liked the old Godzilla movies as I grew up with them. Yes, they were cheesy, but still fun.

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 12:29 am

I've never been a huge "Godzilla" fan, actually finding the core concept pretty pathetic (ditto for "King Kong"). I saw the 1998 effort by Roland Emmerich, and actually liked it much better than some scaly Barney wannabe walking on Legos, intercut with lots of folks screaming in mock terror. Truthfully, "monster movies" have never been of much regular interest to me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 3:03 am

Hell, I grew up with Godzilla, and he was without a doubt my favorite monster! Why wouldn't anyone want to watch a giant, atomic fire breathing dinosaur?

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 11:13 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Hell, I grew up with Godzilla, and he was without a doubt my favorite monster! Why wouldn't anyone want to watch a giant, atomic fire breathing dinosaur?
Well, its kinda like the Transformers movies by Michael Bay. The first was tolerable, but had lots of problems because Bay usually puts style over substance. As a result, I avoided all the sequels, and haven't seen the first in a few years. Special effects and such are great, but if the story sucks, everything else collapses. What held the 1998 "Godzilla" film together for me was the character relationships more than anything else. Matthew Broderick's past with Maria Pitillo was actually believable, and I found it very easy to accept Jean Reno as a French spy. Hank Azaria was both funny and brave, and his marriage to Arabella Field was comedic without adding insult. Kevin Dunn's role was one of the best I'd ever seen him in, and I loved the stab Emmerich and Devlin made towards Siskel and Ebert.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 May 2014, 12:41 pm

Moviefan2k4 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Well, its kinda like the Transformers movies by Michael Bay. The first was tolerable, but had lots of problems because Bay usually puts style over substance. As a result, I avoided all the sequels, and haven't seen the first in a few years. Special effects and such are great, but if the story sucks, everything else collapses. What held the 1998 "Godzilla" film together for me was the character relationships more than anything else. Matthew Broderick's past with Maria Pitillo was actually believable, and I found it very easy to accept Jean Reno as a French spy. Hank Azaria was both funny and brave, and his marriage to Arabella Field was comedic without adding insult. Kevin Dunn's role was one of the best I'd ever seen him in, and I loved the stab Emmerich and Devlin made towards Siskel and Ebert.

I actually hated the Broderick Godzilla. I understand this new movie is tied closely to the very first Japanese film.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2014, 1:42 pm

Even though I'm not a Godzilla fan, I do plan on seeing the new movie this weekend, if not next weekend.

BlankCanvas
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2014, 11:41 pm

I remember seeing the 1998 Godzilla movie in the cinema, and was disappointed that the titular character didn't get more screen-time. As I understand it, this newer movie will be more focused on Godzilla and an external threat, with the human cast simply acting as exposition and back-drop. Whilst I find the latter half of that sentence to believe (this is Warner Bros. after all), I can understand why a lot of people are excited for this -- it's rather like the build-up to Pacific Rim all over again (not a criticism)

I'm not planning to see Godzilla till much later though; I've not liked what's been offered on Western cinema too often (and trailers lie) so I'd rather save my money for its release on DVD/Netflix...

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 7:53 am

I love Godzilla. I grew up watching creature features every Saturday with my dad. I even caught a few in the theater. .. I saw Godzilla vs Megalon on it's first run and today I'm gonna put on my best Godzilla t-shirt and go see the new movie!! !! W00T!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2014, 9:23 pm

My wife and I just saw Godzilla today, and the verdict is - -

- - while it's not a perfect movie by any stretch of the imagination, it was certainly a revival of the best of the old Godzilla movies.
And it was a damn sight better than the last remake. :eew:

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2014, 5:47 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
My wife and I just saw Godzilla today, and the verdict is - -

- - while it's not a perfect movie by any stretch of the imagination, it was certainly a revival of the best of the old Godzilla movies.
And it was a damn sight better than the last remake. :eew:

Sounds good. I'll see it when it comes out on DVD/Blu-ray.