Environmental-related news needs a focused discussion board!

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 May 2014, 6:03 pm

Here is the first contribution to an environmental discussion thread:

Sweden has such an excellent record of recycling, it has run out of garbage to fuel it?s clean-burning trash-to-energy plants.

STORY: Sweden Runs Out of Garbage: Forced to Import from Norway.
http://goo.gl/AL2JA

First time I read this, would Sweden consider importing wood-wastes (most notably junk furniture left out by many curb-sides) from North America; as wood-wastes burn more efficiently than garbage, as well as being easier, and more desirable to ship than garbage.

Much of these wood wastes consist of processed wood-wastes i.e., particle-board and press-board which cannot be burned cleanly; hence would otherwise take-up landfill space.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 May 2014, 12:55 pm

I don't think "oops" will work here.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local ... 54591.html

equestriatola
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Half of me is in the Washington state, the other Los Angeles.

15 May 2014, 1:32 pm

^ In my fave city. SMH

The Canadian Football League - What We're Made Of

Feel free to talk to me, if you wish. :)

Every day is a gift- cherish it!

"A true, true friend helps a friend in need."

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 May 2014, 3:46 pm

Here wrote:

Quote:
First time I read this, would Sweden consider importing wood-wastes (most notably junk furniture left out by many curb-sides) from North America; as wood-wastes burn more efficiently than garbage, as well as being easier, and more desirable to ship than garbage.

I think it would be as long as they take off the foam and synthetic materials,they produce dioxins when burned.

And that oil spill is pretty disgusting and no oops can not apply just as it cant apply in the lac megantic disaster,they are still recovering after it though a lot of the oil was burned.like the bp oil spill,these things make me sick.
Anybody notice the increase in bp ads on american tv channels about a few years after it happened.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 May 2014, 3:02 pm

Processed wood e.g., press-board, particle-board burns more cleanly than garbage.

Sweden's waste-to-energy plants are about as 'clean-burning' as possible, hence the amounts of Dioxin released are way too small to present health-hazards.

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2014, 11:20 pm

Here wrote:

Quote:
Sweden's waste-to-energy plants are about as 'clean-burning' as possible, hence the amounts of Dioxin released are way too small to present health-hazards.

Thats good to hear,that stuff is very carcinogenic.i saw a special on cnn(toxic america by Sanjay Gupta)that put me off plastics for a couple of years.Lots of toxic chemicals released into the atmosphere

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 May 2014, 4:19 pm

IamRob wrote:
Here wrote:
Quote:

Thats good to hear,that stuff is very carcinogenic.i saw a special on cnn(toxic america by Sanjay Gupta)that put me off plastics for a couple of years.Lots of toxic chemicals released into the atmosphere

The 'waste-to-energy' plant in Vienna combines 'form and function' as a work of modern art!
http://www.wien.info/en/sightseeing/gre ... wer-plants

A proposed 'waste-to-energy' plant in Copenhagen will not only double as an urban ski-slope, but will emit a large ring of smoke every-time a ton of greenhouse gases are emitted. This will serve as reminders of our carbon footprint!

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... -ski-slope

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 May 2014, 6:28 pm

^^^ very cool

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2014, 1:52 pm

Turning wastes-to-energy, that "holy grail" to boost social, economic, and environmental progress.

One of many examples:

STORY: Microbes: Cleaning-up and Improving Biodiesel's Act.
http://www.natureworldnews.com/articles ... ls-act.htm

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 2:04 pm

i dig this thread :thumleft: --i definitely would like to see more discussion of environmental issues. just wanted to add my two cents. :)

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 May 2014, 4:38 pm

I was searching for a quebec company that makes catalytic converters for small engines(lawn mowers,snow blowers,weed eaters etc.) there a significant source of toxic emissions(i would have to search to find exactly what it is,i think its hydrogen cyanide but not sure).
i found this instead,Its a little old(last year) but its another step forward for cleaner emissions.

I cant post links on my phone so i copied it.

No single invention has done more to reduce toxic auto emissions than the arrival of the catalytic converter in the 1970s. Some 40 years later, a small Ontario company is preparing to hit the market with a revolutionary multi chamber catalytic converter (MCCC) that not only produces an even cleaner exhaust but also boosts gas mileage, and is less expensive to manufacture.

"We've proven the technology works for gas engines and we now have a commercial product that our customers are doing final validation testing on," says, Stefano Plati, of Woodbridge-based Vida Holdings Corp. "We're aiming to have this technology in vehicles by 2015."

Around here there are stories of garages replacing new ones and putting on old used ones to make money off them.They can be worth a lot of money.There also have been thefts at car dealers where the cat.converters have been stripped off the new cars overnight.

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jun 2014, 4:27 pm

Enclosed is a link discussing a company's processes to reclaim oil from plastics wastes, as well as current initiatives of partnerships with recycling programs. Report also indicates that partnerships can be profitable:

LINK: https://newsoffice.mit.edu/2014/pk-clea ... oblem-0620

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2014, 6:25 pm

No oil in Sweden? ;-)

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jun 2014, 3:49 pm

Special coatings that can be applied on such surfaces as roofing tiles, and roads can "eat smog!"

http://innovatedevelopment.org/2014/06/ ... for-lunch/

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2014, 7:13 pm

Environmental issues are greatly overblown.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

02 Jul 2014, 12:42 am

^ But if left unmanaged, it can cause a significant change in worldwide lifestyle. If we relied solely on America's only oil reserves, Americans would only be able to drive and do other things with oil for about 3-6 years before everything goes dry. Not to mention the environmental damage that fracking can cause.

Hell, even agriculture can be environmentally degrading if not properly regulated. There's a lot of places in China that were basically accidentally turned into legitimate deserts because of too much agricultural practices. The term is known as "desertification", and a more famously known incident of desertification would be the Dust Bowl in the US during the Great Depression.

**Disclaimer, a lot of this is pretty generalized. Please refer to your own research.