Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RachelLugiagirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2007, 12:59 pm

Does anyone have difficulty with hanging onto really old grotty stuff you've had for ages or not speaking up for yourself in really important occassions like your needs or wants or those of others or not being able to speak about a subject unless it's brought up or getting a word in edgeways in others conversations? I 8O find these things really hard.

euphrosyne
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Feb 2007, 1:07 pm

I find all of those things really hard also. I have old dirty toys that I played with as a child in the 80s that I can't bare to throw away, they sit in my closet in boxes.

Aspie1
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 1:11 pm

I hang on to stuff from many years ago. I hide it in the closet, deep inside the dresser, in my desk, and under the bed. Sadly, my parents sometimes come into my room, for the sole purpose of raiding the hiding places and throwing out the things I treasure (simply because my parents think they're junk), under the pretense of "cleaning". When we start our nation Aspergia, we should make sure that kind of thing is punishable by a prison sentence. To add insult to the injury, we can also take something that has sentimental value to the perpetrator (like old photos or something), then burn it right in front of him/her.

jolly_magpie
Raven
Raven

22 Feb 2007, 1:19 pm

Good grief yes. I have boxes of stuff from my childhood and I am in my 40's. Last year we moved a long distance and I was forced to throw away hundreds of pounds of my old stuff, and sell a bunch of stuff that was semi-valuable. It was one of the hardest things I have EVER done. During the garage sale I was in tears a few times.

I pared it down to the bone, I thought, reducing it by about a third. It STILL was not enough. In a haze I threw away even more. Bad times.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 1:51 pm

euphrosyne wrote:
I find all of those things really hard also. I have old dirty toys that I played with as a child in the 80s that I can't bare to throw away, they sit in my closet in boxes.

If it makes you feel better, many NTs do that as well. I think that's just nostalgia.

I don't know if we are prone to be packrats. I live with someone who is OCD and wouldn't tolerate that. I'm thinking I can't bring him to Aspergia if the rule is that he has to let me pack rat. This is what happens when you marry someone of another species. You can't live in Aspergia!

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Feb 2007, 1:58 pm

My hubby and I have tonnes and tonnes of 'stuff'.
Just knowing it's there brings some comfort even if it takes some time to actually find it.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 4:09 pm

All of these things. I have all sorts of bits and pieces in drawers, though not sure it isn't simply laziness or a lack of motivation that has me keeping them. I am terrible at speaking up about needs or wants, always feeling that asking might being about a negative response or something.

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 4:21 pm

Well, I have a tendency to sometimes hold onto old issues of magazines or books as, there was once a large collection of books which, I once had however, it came to my attention that my bookshelves were starting to look like the inside of the Smithsonian Institute :oops: therefore, in wisdom did I choose to let go of 75% of merchandise. These days I can't really think of anything that I hold onto unless you count my comic book collection however, this included comics which were of my late brother's :( so, this can be seen as okay in most people's views. (Pauses) I have little else to offer within this post so, may you have a most pleasant night or day everyone & all.

Professor X

"Yeah, sure. You come up with the brains and I provide the paychecks."

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 5:31 pm

I've kept on some thing that lastest for years. Mostly it'll be my old two stuff animals that I've had for years.

Tanz
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Feb 2007, 5:37 pm

I, too, have lots of old stuff, some I was saving for my future children (looking less and less likely I will ever have any now) and some that just is drenched in memories. Even after we had a house fire, and I thought i could use that as an excuse to get rid of some of it, I just spend hours trying to sort thriough it and none of it ever goes into the trash.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 6:53 pm

Oh my, the things I let go of, that I should have kept ! !! Auugghhhh ! ! I was going to print a T-shirt that said "I coulda been an Ebay millionaire, but my mum threw away all my good junk ! !"
Comic books ! ! Rare magazines ! !! An authentic WWII morse code training machine ! !!

Aaaauuuugghhhh ! !! !

tinky
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 2:35 am

RachelLugiagirl wrote:
Does anyone have difficulty with hanging onto really old grotty stuff you've had for ages or not speaking up for yourself in really important occassions like your needs or wants or those of others or not being able to speak about a subject unless it's brought up or getting a word in edgeways in others conversations? I 8O find these things really hard.

yes and yes.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 3:05 am

Yup. I still have my TV, which is around three years old!

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 4:42 am

Aspie1 wrote:
I hang on to stuff from many years ago. I hide it in the closet, deep inside the dresser, in my desk, and under the bed. Sadly, my parents sometimes come into my room, for the sole purpose of raiding the hiding places and throwing out the things I treasure (simply because my parents think they're junk), under the pretense of "cleaning". When we start our nation Aspergia, we should make sure that kind of thing is punishable by a prison sentence. To add insult to the injury, we can also take something that has sentimental value to the perpetrator (like old photos or something), then burn it right in front of him/her.

Aspergia, i like that :D

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2007, 5:13 am

I used to have a bunch of stuffed animals stored in a box in our basement that I absolutely loved as a child. But one night when we came home, we discovered a huge flood in the basement that destroyed at least half our stuff down there. Needless to say, we had to throw out all my old toys. :( Lucky for me, I also had some stored away in other areas of the house, like my bench in B-2.

JayM
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Feb 2007, 5:20 am

I'm forever telling my family not to throw things away just because you don't need them right now, you never know when something could come in handy. ;) Not that they listen. :roll:

I think if you have enough room to keep your stuff there is no logical reason to throw it out.