Anyone else can't handle competitive people

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 3:22 am

Occasionally I have competitive bouts, but I generally almost never card about competition.

90% of the time I don't care about who wins or loses, but that I enjoy myself but at the same time play my best.

Over-competitive people however only make it harder for me.

I try to remain modest, indifferent, and noble when it comes to competition.

Everyone else however always seem to get cocky and trash talk each other. They use "comebacks" and "burn" each other. They arrogantly boast as if they have won before the game even starts. They are over-confident, annoying, selfish and think they are superior. It's an immature and pathetic display most of the time...

I however remain calm and quiet.

Anyone else have trouble standing competitive people when you yourself are less competitive?

SquidinHostBody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 May 2014, 4:40 am

The Squid is an avid video game player, but has been forced to "Boycott" games like Call of Duty and Battlefield based on it's competitiveness. The Squid too cannot handle competitive people, and would rather have a more leisure, fun time. We feel somewhat saddened, that most of our friends play these games, and must sit on the sidelines. Oh well, what can one do? Time for Singleplayer!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 4:52 am

Outrider wrote:
Occasionally I have competitive bouts, but I generally almost never card about competition.

90% of the time I don't care about who wins or loses, but that I enjoy myself but at the same time play my best.

I'm exactly the same there.

Outrider wrote:
Everyone else however always seem to get cocky and trash talk each other. They use "comebacks" and "burn" each other. They arrogantly boast as if they have won before the game even starts. They are over-confident, annoying, selfish and think they are superior. It's an immature and pathetic display most of the time...

I sometimes talk like that, but it's just goofing off and kidding around, sounding over-confident but not actually being.

People who can be a little competitive only can be great fun.

People who are always or often competitive really get on my nerves. I'm in it for the fun. People who always have to win and make it a real competition are a pain.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 6:28 am

I like to win, but I don't understand why people celebrate after they win.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 8:25 am

I am not a competitive person. I don't care if I dont win. In school people pretty much sensed this and I would always be chosen for spots that weren't essential to play. Which was good because I only made perfunctory attempts to participate. In spelling bees I would delibetely misspell words so that I would be eliminated.
When I encounter people whose very nature is competitive even in their everyday communication I find I have little to say to them.
As far as trash talk goes, I have never sucessfully participated in it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 8:38 am

I like to win, but I don't like to boast about it. I don't like to lose.

My competitiveness was especially acute in my childhood.

One of the reasons why I like to watch sports from a previous era is because there's no trash talking, wild celebrations, etc.

I don't like to always be in a competition with someone.

It's healthy to want to compete WITH YOURSELF.

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 1:55 pm

Competition is fine if it's about having fun. I have a problem with people who seem to think life itself is a competition.

thisismynamomg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 May 2014, 12:45 am

I like competitive people, because I like competition, especially if its something I like. 8)

abkala1
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2014, 3:07 am

I don't understand competition or competitive people. They always seem to me that they have to constantly prove their validity to others. This is especially true of other men. Not being competitive is seen by other men as a weakness. I personally have no use for it.

Drake
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 9:40 am

Yeah, I'm with the OP. If it's a game, I want to win, but most of all I want to have fun, and I would hope the other person has fun too. So I dislike competitive multiplayer stuff because of that aspect of competitiveness. If the other player was nice I would probably enjoy a close defeat more than an easy win.

amazon_television
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 3:50 pm

marshall wrote:
Competition is fine if it's about having fun. I have a problem with people who seem to think life itself is a competition.

No doubt.

It's the worst when it's done in a professional context and people try to ruin other peoples' livelihoods, but at the same time, given the circumstances it's a little more understandable conceptually. I can't play those games but I guess I get it, at least to the point where I know what to look out for.

On a separate note, I've played a ton of recreational sports in my life and it makes me so furious when people actively cheat and/or try to physically hurt people in a "competition" that doesn't mean s**t.

For example I used to play adult dodgeball and with rubber balls if you have big enough hands there's a way to "squeeze" the ball as you throw it to make it like oscillate as it's going through the air and makes it harder to catch it.

The downside is that it shatters peoples' fingers, and everyone who plays rubber dodgeball knows that. I got my pinky horribly broken and dislocated by some as*hole throwing an oscillating ball in a completely friendly game where it was just a constant rotation of players (not even an opportunity to "win" or "lose" in any way).

To be clear, there was a specific, sign-posted rule against squeezing the ball like that in non-league games (instituted a few weeks earlier after a girl got her arm broken) but obviously it's pretty hard to enforce.

Thanks a lot dude, my finger is permanently crooked at like a 60 degree angle because of your burning desire to "win" a friendly, unwinnable game.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 9:50 pm

^OMG that's terrible!

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

musician_enigma
Raven
Raven

26 May 2014, 8:17 am

I can be very competitive, when having fun first and foremost. Also, I'll talk sh*t, specifically for comedic effect even if I am losing. Playing video games against friends for example: I greatly enjoy casual competition because I can put my skills to the test and improve even more. In situations where my skills exceed my competition, I'll hold back (in a way that isn't noticible) just to keep things fun for everyone.

Generally in life I am not competitive though, because I am focused on me. My biggest competition is the tendency to procrastinate, a habit from my grade school days I've overcome for the most part. I can't stand overtly competitive people, especially when they (always men) want to be competitive with me. From what I've seen, it appears to be significant insecurity on their part which I find incredibly unattractive to the point where I lose respect for the individual.

I don't get competitive, I get inspired and I work harder. My aspiration is to better/improve myself, not to be better than others. If only fiercely competitive individuals focused more energy inward...

It is extremely difficult to identify someone as friend or foe when they're competitive with me. I distance myself immediately due to not trusting that person.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 6:44 pm

Competitiveness stresses me out & heightens my anxiety, I avoid it.
Either way, if it's against other people, it's a win-lose outcome and there will be bad feeling.
I prefer to compete with my own brain, trying to remember a name or title, before checking the internet & being happy that I guessed correctly.

MU
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2014, 1:24 am

This was generally gym class for me. I got picked last by team captains and all that stuff, being that I really didn't care for having a sports skill. I only saw gym class is a subject in school, not the sport against other schools, let alone the major leagues, and the reward is a good grade, not a trophy. Still, the other classmates yell their heads off at each other for striking out or missing a catch.

This is also why I play single player adventure, rpg games all the time, and none of those team first person shooting deals. A competition I'd like to win would be to have treated the loser the best after winning. Or who had the most fun.

Autinger
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2014, 10:16 am

musician_enigma wrote:
I can be very competitive, when having fun first and foremost. Also, I'll talk sh*t, specifically for comedic effect even if I am losing. Playing video games against friends for example: I greatly enjoy casual competition because I can put my skills to the test and improve even more. In situations where my skills exceed my competition, I'll hold back (in a way that isn't noticible) just to keep things fun for everyone.

Generally in life I am not competitive though, because I am focused on me. My biggest competition is the tendency to procrastinate, a habit from my grade school days I've overcome for the most part. I can't stand overtly competitive people, especially when they (always men) want to be competitive with me. From what I've seen, it appears to be significant insecurity on their part which I find incredibly unattractive to the point where I lose respect for the individual.

I don't get competitive, I get inspired and I work harder. My aspiration is to better/improve myself, not to be better than others. If only fiercely competitive individuals focused more energy inward...

It is extremely difficult to identify someone as friend or foe when they're competitive with me. I distance myself immediately due to not trusting that person.

That could have been my post.

I get into the spirit of the game and will "trashtalk" to create the ambiance of competition but I don't get nasty and will talk about my suckiness while complementing their successes just as much. I'll hold back if I feel I could win easily so it doesn't get boring by trying something different from what I know would make me win, or at least make it seem as if I have to try really hard just to stay ahead a little bit. I will still try to win but accept if a surprise/moment of genius/physical excellence makes me lose.

I don't like it when there's no competition, not just with games/sport, (because one is clearly "better"/"already won", or it's supposed to be just for fun/learning) but people, mostly men yes, still do everything to "win". I just want to better myself against other people, not measure. For example when learning some martial arts technique and your higher grade training partner will almost break your arm because he has done it hundreds of times and knows you haven't so he can executes it "perfectly' on you to give himself some small internal victory, leaving you unable to properly train it yourself, or when a guy starts hugging/kissing his girlfriend extra much just to show "she's his" around you.

I know people have different ideas on how to "train and get better" but I just don't trust those people because I feel they will screw me over if it's in their interest and will talk trash about me behind my back or something, I don't know, I just don't feel comfortable around that kind of mindset. I just feel they will always push me beyond my own boundaries, "ahh drink one more!", while I learn by going just to my own limit and feeling comfortable about that before moving the boundary.