Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 10:02 pm

Hey gang,

In June I have an appointment with a local vocational Rehabilitation was wondering if anybody had any sucess with their local offices and what type of questions they normally ask when screening I'm hoping that I can find a job that would best suit me and not exploit my weaknesses (to much) as past jobs had

So again if anybody has Ideas or has been down this avenue please chime in

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2014, 11:13 pm

our office sent us to a full day of psychological testing including preference and aptitude tests. they had the option of providing a job coach, though i don't need one. they researched jobs i might want. i always had veto power. i eventually found a job through networking in a support group.

i'd be totally honest with them about what you want and what the past problems were. that would give you the best chance of getting something you like.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 3:47 am

I just finished the 10 day evaluation. I will be setting a date for some further training. Not totally happy with the what I will be trained for. As usual I do not think they have much understanding of HFA. Since Adult services are so infrequent it would be stupid of me to refuse any opportunity with the exception of opportunities that are totally wrong such as sales.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 22 May 2014, 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2014, 4:16 am

Quote:
psychological testing including preference

Cathylynn can you please elaborate?

Quote:
Not totally happy with the what I will be trained for. As usual I do not think they have much understanding of HFA.

I'm hoping to get into a TV station even if it's in the mail room or receptionist just as long as I get my foot in the door it will be a dream come true (my ultamate goal would be to work in Master Control and/or be a video editor) however realistically I don't think it will happen can you share with me what they will be training you for and what you originally wanted (if you want you can PM me)

Thanks again you guys!

aspie_comic_nerd
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 May 2014, 12:46 pm

I have an orientation today with my local Vocational Rehabilitation office. I am really anxious and I prefer to not work because I'd rather be self-employed. I don't trust Employers anymore.

Anyways, I will let everyone know how it goes for me, hopefully it will give others some insight.

GCAspies
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 May 2014, 6:22 pm

JoelFan wrote:
Hey gang,

In June I have an appointment with a local vocational Rehabilitation was wondering if anybody had any sucess with their local offices and what type of questions they normally ask when screening I'm hoping that I can find a job that would best suit me and not exploit my weaknesses (to much) as past jobs had

So again if anybody has Ideas or has been down this avenue please chime in

I had a very good experience with the Vocational Rehabilitation local office in northwest Georgia. Basically, VR asked me questions about my income (because to qualify for VR services, you have to meet income guidelines they have set), what I want to do, etc. I had a psychological evaluation taken, which helped determine what areas worked best for me to pursue.

The mission of GCA Centre for Adult Autism:
"Empowering the lives of autistic adults and young adults and their parents/caregivers by serving as a resource center to provide mutual support, information, and activities" in the Southeast USA
http://www.gcaspies.org

2nd Annual Southeast Adult Autism Symposium
- Early Bird online registration starts in late March 2018
- More information can be found at http://www.gcaspies.org/symposiumhomepage

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 9:47 pm

GCAspies wrote:
I had a very good experience with the Vocational Rehabilitation local office in northwest Georgia. Basically, VR asked me questions about my income (because to qualify for VR services, you have to meet income guidelines they have set).... I had a psychological evaluation taken,

can you tell me what the income guidelines are and can you please share more about the Psychological evaluation meaning types of questions asked?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 10:41 pm

JoelFan wrote:
Quote:
psychological testing including preference

Quote:
Not totally happy with the what I will be trained for. As usual I do not think they have much understanding of HFA.

I'm hoping to get into a TV station even if it's in the mail room or receptionist just as long as I get my foot in the door it will be a dream come true (my ultamate goal would be to work in Master Control and/or be a video editor) however realistically I don't think it will happen can you share with me what they will be training you for and what you originally wanted (if you want you can PM me)

Thanks again you guys!

I don't know if my situation would be relevant to you. I am trying to get back in the job market after a decade of aging out of programming, recession plus age discrimination that made an attempt to a career change Marketing Research fail plus what I now know is Autistic Burnout causing me to just give up the last few years. I can't lie to myself my skills have regressed and companies are reluctant to hire people at entry level who are at an age when most people are getting ready for retirement never mind no network and Aspie-Autistic interview skills. I will never be able to retire, no pension, and I am at the point where now I am raiding my IRA's and SS will not be enough as there were to many gap years. I really don't know what is realistic at this point.

They are training me on very basic office clerical position skills keyboarding, filing, Word. At my age they want slot you into disability plus a part time position. I have always been hunt and peck typist, while have I have decent speed from decades doing it way it seems nobody will hire you if you do that way. I think I have to many motor skills problems to ever be a good enough typist for data entry. I wanted to refresh and update myself on Excel as I still have Office 2003 which was prior to the ribbons. I wanted to do something with the formulas but they think of Excel as record keeping and I did not do well on that part of the evaluation.

So like I said my situation is probably not relevant for you.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 23 May 2014, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:20 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I wanted to refresh myself on Excel as I still have Office 2003 which was prior to the ribbons. I wanted to do something with the formulas but they think of Excel as record keeping and I did not do well on that part of the evaluation.

That just irritates me to an irrational degree. :razz:
I wouldn't want to work for someone who used Excel for record-keeping. If you're using it at home for such, fine, but, for a company? Use a database for record-keeping. And use excel for calculating and reporting. Sheesh. :roll:

;) Silly the things I have opinions on.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 12:02 pm

MissDorkness wrote:
I wouldn't want to work for someone who used Excel for record-keeping. If you're using it at home for such, fine, but, for a company? Use a database for record-keeping. And use excel for calculating and reporting. Sheesh. :roll:

If I could convince my employer to use Excel it would be a huge step up from our late 90s technology! I work at a major employer too not a mom and pop. I self taught myself Access and even created my own database but was forced to downgrade to the primitive technology. One of the downsides of working in a union environment: the old dogs refuse to learn new tricks.

MissDorkness
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 12:56 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
MissDorkness wrote:

If I could convince my employer to use Excel it would be a huge step up from our late 90s technology! I work at a major employer too not a mom and pop. I self taught myself Access and even created my own database but was forced to downgrade to the primitive technology. One of the downsides of working in a union environment: the old dogs refuse to learn new tricks.

Ahhhhhhhh.

Funny, that's how I got into databases, too. Tracking similar information in Lotus123 and Excel... um, NO! :razz: But, luckily, I was given the leeway to make the changes myself cause we were small enough that I could just give information to people instead of everyone having to get it themselves.

Ah, unions... there's a whole other topic.

JoelFan
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 10:43 am

JoelFan wrote:
GCAspies wrote:
I had a very good experience with the Vocational Rehabilitation local office in northwest Georgia. Basically, VR asked me questions about my income (because to qualify for VR services, you have to meet income guidelines they have set).... I had a psychological evaluation taken,

can you tell me what the income guidelines are and can you please share more about the Psychological evaluation meaning types of questions asked?

Anybody?

autismplusmath
Butterfly
Butterfly

31 May 2014, 8:34 am

@ JoelFan

Re:
"can you tell me what the income guidelines are and can you please share more about the Psychological evaluation meaning types of questions asked?"

from the VR website:

Q: Am I Eligible for VR Services?

A: You may be eligible for VR services if your goal is to become employed and:

Your physical or mental disability interferes with your ability to become employed, and
You need VR?s help to find or keep a job

Haven't found what you're looking for? Please call toll-free (800) 451-4327 or (866) 515-3692 (Voice/TDD) or email [email protected]. Please include your phone number and the best way to contact you in your email.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 1:56 pm

I did voc rehab back in 2008 until I started going to college, now that I finished and wasn't able to find work after a year, I've got back into it. They put me into a job readiness class and then next week i go to visit a job developer which plans to put me in different job positions to evaluate me.