Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 3:14 pm

What's your opinion on the fat acceptance movement and people who identify as fat?

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

22 May 2014, 4:10 pm

I believe in a healthy lifestyle, you shouldn't kill yourself to be thin but "accepting" obesity isn't right either. I don't hold people's weight against them, I don't think they're less of a person or anything like that because I recognize obesity as a disease in the same way alcoholism is. While it may come from overindulgence, I don't think it comes simply from a place of moral weakness.

RunningFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2014, 7:13 pm

IDK it seems kind of dumb. I was an all star track runner in HS then graduated early before my career could take off. Then after a few years I was put on seroquel and ended up gaining 120lbs because of it, almost double my body weight. Then after a few years I got off that crap and got really healthy and lost all that weight.

As a former "fat" person I see no pride to have in that. It absolutely sucks to be fat. I didnt accept my self as fat. Its not like having an ASD, its not something you cant change, no one was born that way.

If anything people should feel sorry for fat people. Some people like me had legitimate(somewhat legitimate, I never should have been on that sht medication to begin with) medical reasons for gaining all the weight and its not their fault. That doesnt mean I'm not going to feel sorry for them and wish they could change.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 7:25 pm

I could care less. I am not currently fat, though I have been slothful and inactive in the past, and therefore fat. --Then again if somebody who's fat needs a paramedic team and the 'jaws of life' to extract them from say, a coach class airline seat that they got stuck in, then oh well, maybe they should take up a somewhat healthier lifestyle than the one that put them in that position.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 7:45 pm

I thought this thread was about Chris Christie :D

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 7:46 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I thought this thread was about Chris Christie :D

hey, don't forget rob ford! :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 8:02 pm

^^The tubby twosome. :D Just think of the damage they could do at an all you can eat buffet.
Especially if Ford has the munchies.

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 8:05 pm

Misslizard wrote:
^^The tubby twosome. :D Just think of the damage they could do at an all you can eat buffet.

that would be like letting a bull loose in a.....crack-house? :lol: sorry, couldn't help myself.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 8:11 pm

If people are fat that's for them to sort out and fix at their discretion, or not fix it.

RunningFox
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2014, 8:21 pm

"I am fat, its ugly and unhealthy. Everyone else is the problem accept me."

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 9:42 pm

Misslizard wrote:

I don't think two porky politicans can touch an all you can eat buffet the way one 92lb asian female can.

BraveMurderDay
Toucan
Toucan

22 May 2014, 9:42 pm

You know what they say when you assume.
People will just have to learn to assume less about what they know about someone based on their weight and body fat or they'll continue to come off poorly.

seaturtleisland
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 10:02 pm

I've heard some people say that being fat doesn't necessarily mean you're unhealthy even if it can and often does lead to health problems. I'm not sure what the stats are and if it's really true that "fat isn't necessarily unhealthy". That could just be fat power propaganda since I haven't checked it myself.

What I do know is that my fat great grandma nearly outlived her skinny daughter. She was the healthy one and her skinny daughter drank and smoked herself to death. Great grandma didn't die of complications related to being overweight. She died of natural causes.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 1:11 am

DevilKisses wrote:
What's your opinion on the fat acceptance movement and people who identify as fat?

I think there is not much chance for such a thing in europe, because of the general health insurances that we have. So noone will bother you about being a bit chubby or whatever. But the moment you are serious fat in the meaning that it causes you health problems, you hardly can expect people to simply accept to pay for illnesses, that one causes to himself without any reason, without having a discussion about it. If you are doing risc sports, then in most countries you will need to get an extra insurace for the treatment of injuries that you willingly accepted without need, so why be it else with illnesses that you willingly accept without need?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 1:16 am

I'd say overweight in general is unhealthy, not just fat. Yes fat is unhealthy, but too much muscle creates problems as well; either way the heart has to pump more blood putting more strain on it than a normal weight would. Of all the necessary organs the heart is usually the first to go. See, not just a sappy romance novel slogan, it's also the truth.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 6:18 am

This will sound insensitive, so please take this with a grain of salt....

I find obesity disgusting.

YES, SOME PEOPLE CAN'T HELP IT. I know there are legitimate medical and genetic issues that make a person predisposed to obesity or just make them pack on the weight. HOWEVER, these cases are rare for the total number of people classified as "obese."

While being "thin" or "fit" requires a lot of discipline to get regular exercise and sticking with a healthy diet, it doesn't take a lot to avoid becoming "morbidly obese."

In the USA, most people who would classify as severe to morbidly obese are that way because they don't know how to put down the fork and push away from the dinner table.

Ever have to sit in the same room with a morbidly obese person? Their breathing can be distressing to listen to. They may actually "stink" from BO or their effort to conceal it. They can't do their "fair share" of work because they are so out of shape they can't do things for themselves.

Again, if there is a legitimate medical condition or genetic reason for a person to be that way, that's fine....but when it's because a person is just a glutton....I can't stand it.

And I'm someone who has always struggled to keep my weight where it should be. I could easily be 250+ if I didn't care enough to take steps to remain healthy.