Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Ryan808206
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 May 2014, 12:30 am

Hey, I'm a graduate student at the University of Washington in the masters of Special Education program to get a BCBA (someone who does ABA). Went to a lecture put on by one of my classmates with aspergers. It opened up my eyes to how many silly things I've assumed/been misled about the population I'm supposed to be serving. My little brother is autistic, and I love him. I've always felt like I sucked as an older brother, most of my life revolves around making up for those mistakes and trying to support others so they can be more respectful and supportive. Please take care of me I might need some retraining on the way I think about ASD in general.

Best Regards
Ryan

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 3:06 am

Hello Ryan and welcome to WrongPlanet!

(the best website in my opinion)

There is a lot of information here, and the forums of course :)

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:05 am

Well dude, don't beat yourself up. I figure being an older sibling is a lot like being a parent (in kind of mini-version anyway). Nobody gets it perfect, because you have to do it all the time and you're learning as you go. On top of that, older siblings are just kids, learning how to live and be a human and all that, whereas at least parents are (or are supposed to be) grown-ups.

So cut yourself a break on the big brother front. Because most likely you do a pretty good job.

Relearning about ASD-- Look, everyone is relearning. Seems like even the experts need to relearn stuff; we are all relearning as we go along. Just don't get so attached to what you have been taught that you cannot see the people right in front of you.

From some of the hell I have been through (and put my kids through) I would ask you as a behaviorist to be careful not to fall into what I call the "black box trap." Emotions aren't your business and you are not supposed to concern yourself with them; you are supposed to concern yourself with training behaviors, with reward and punishment, with stimulus in and behavior out.

OK, I get that. But please remember, as you go along, that those "black boxes" are people, that they do have emotions, and that even if those feelings may not be the stuff of your business, THEY ARE IMPORTANT.

If I hadn't spent years caught (sometimes by others' force, and sometimes by my own) in the "black box trap," I would actually probably be happier, healthier, and more functional today. The Skinner treatment may "fix" the behaviors that are annoying or disruptive or disturbing to others, but it actually DOES NOT do much for mental health, or empathy/sympathy/compassion, or the ability to give/enjoy emotional relatedness with others.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 8:05 am

Welcome (I wanted to say "You have mail"--but I restrained myself)

You'll enjoy it here.

BecauseImArtistic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 May 2014, 9:02 am

I have noticed a definite correlation between learning to fake NT, and poor mental health (depression, anxiety, low self-worth, etc) in myself and in my relatives who also have autism. This may as well be a very well-kept secret in mainstream society! Everyone seems to think that if I can just learn how to pretend NOT to be autistic, then I will be happier and more successful and eventually, someday, maybe I won't even be autistic anymore. And that is simply not true at all. I am happiest and healthiest when I am allowed to rock back and forth (stimming), read for hours and hours on end, and just behave "autistically." And then you know what? I might even be interested in some socializing, and the people I may meet won't even believe that I'm autistic. So that's the best information I can give right off the bat. Welcome to Wrongplanet, this is the best website I have ever found for autistic people, and really learning what autism means!

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 11:02 am

Prepare to enter an alien mind. I hope your neurons and synapses are up to it. Muhu... Muhuhaha...! !! :twisted:

Just kidding. We only use synapses.

:wink:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 10:58 pm

Welcome! :D