Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AlienorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2014, 6:48 pm

I have been trying to get my mum to talk about me as a baby, so I can track the autism and put it forward when I go for diagnosis, but all she will say is that I was very "self-sufficient" (meaning I didnt really cry or ask for attention- lucky her!) but she adds "but you were social". She cant remember my milestones, but says that I was about average (the comparisons were my cousins, whose parents used to say they were all very early walkers/talkers- a family of doctors, dentists and Olympic athletes. How average was my average then?).

My gran remembers that everyone used to comment on my "knowing" look, and people always stopped us in the street to say I looked like I'd "been here before".

What do people say about you as a baby?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:09 pm

my mom says i was a happy baby.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:15 pm

I was an unusual baby my mom told me. I barely cried and my parents could take me anywhere without me disturbing anyone because I always slept and barely cried. I always got sick with ear infections and fevers. I developed normally until around nine months of age and that was when I was always getting sick. I also teased even as an infant and babbled and then I stopped completely when I was one. I spent time taking my things apart and figuring how things worked and touching things to figure it out and looking at things and being curious how it worked. I had ritualistic behaviors and would sit out and withdraw from other kids. I also wouldn't do eye contact so my parents had to hold a favorite object up to their faces so I could see their mouths moving. It was also to teach me how to talk too so I would learn how words are formed. I also had OCD behaviors like food needing to be served a certain way or I would refuse to eat, having to take a certain step in each room. I also wrung my wrists and would look around. I also didn't tolerate touch but I loved getting my head rubbed or liking being held. Apparently my play was inappropriate according to what I reading my medical records. I was given a toy phone and I put it up to my ear and he wrote it was at a level of a 16 month old? and I was older than that at the time of the evaluation. I am not sure how a 22month old would play with it or a 2 year old. I can't remember exactly because I don' know what my parents did with half of my medical records.

What I saw in the videos, I laughed and smiled and interacted with my parents and teased them and that was when I was two. I also loved attention. I also played with my dad's friend's son who was the same age as me. We wrestled and I played ball in their yard when we go to their house and visit. I seemed normal in the videos despite not talking and being very quiet. But when I was two I was laughing and smiling and making noise and using single words and I have seen myself wringing my wrists as I was walking and looking around.

That is all I know about myself. I know I did normal things like open presents on my birthday and Christmas and pointing to things like a plane in the sky when I first heard it and walking at 14 months and I would look at my father when I would hear his voice and then not look again. His voice was so loud I could still hear him despite all that fluid in my ear that made me deaf but yet I couldn't hear a train according to my mother and I saw in the videos of me looking at my dad when he would talk to me at one years old but I didn't do that to my mother. I also appeared to have a blank face at a one years old because I never saw myself laughing or smiling but that may have been due to me being deaf.

I swear doctors expected me to pickup with my language development and other development where I left off after getting my hearing back because they were so concerned about autism because I wasn't doing what I was supposed to be doing. Nine months without hearing is a long time for a toddler so that was enough for it to affect my development. That makes me curious how would a NT toddler turn out if they went deaf for that long and got their hearing back. Would they be the same way as me or just continue their normal development where they left off when they lost their hearing. Would they also stop talking completely?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

InsertUsernameHere
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 May 2014, 7:16 pm

I needed to be bounced or be moving or else I would cry. I used to roll around the floor to get to places. Heavy Rock n roll put me to asleep better then slow lullaby songs :lol:
I was a weird baby

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:17 pm

Unfortunately, my mother has very little memory of what I was like as a baby.

As a toddler, I was an Autistic Terror. Screaming all night. Knocking items off supermarket shelves. Screaming in the library. Breaking stuff.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:20 pm

I was a very colicky baby and also very strong. My mum would put me in my crib and I would push on the top railing. The crib would be on the other side of the room in the morning.

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:22 pm

I was kind of fussy and had colic really bad for months until I was put on soy formula. I was hard to get to sleep at night or for naps. I had lots of ear infections and colds. I was bad about pulling my clothes off once I got old enough to do so. I loved to be held and cuddled, though I went through a period of time when I had colic where I didn't want to be held by my mom but I was okay with my dad because he held me tighter than she did and was calmer. My milestones for talking, crawling, walking, etc. were all normal.

That's about all I know. I will have to ask my mom to tell me more about my personality, because most stories about my babyhood are about my colic or ear infections.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:26 pm

I was told I started talking (full sentences etc) very early, and also walked very early. I remember when I was still in my baby walker I would go to the table where they kept the magazines and newspapers and would grab them, squeeze them, and rip them apart, because I liked the sound of it. I was also a very hyper kid, and always ran into door frames etc lol, my mother always said you're lucky you didn't break anything (like my legs, arms, etc), and also "you never walk you always run". If I can think of something else I will edit my post and add it.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:47 pm

I was a very quiet baby who rarely cried. My mother used to tell me that visitors would say, "I can't even tell you have a baby in the house!". She said she would lay me down somewhere and then forget where she put me because I never made a sound. At 18 months I could recognize all the letters of the alphabet, and I could read children's books by age 3.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 7:51 pm

mama said "you were a very good baby"

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 9:13 pm

I was completely normal until I got vaccinated.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 10:28 pm

DevilKisses wrote:

i hope you are being sarcastic.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 10:37 pm

cathylynn wrote:
DevilKisses wrote:

i hope you are being sarcastic.

I'm not. Sorry about that.

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 May 2014, 10:52 pm

I don't know. I was only a baby so I can't remember what I was like. However, I hear I was a normal baby aside from being somewhat quiet.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2014, 11:00 pm

I was very quiet and I didn't go to sleep easily. My mom says she would lie down with me to try to get me to go to sleep, and I would just lay there staring at her with my eyes wide open.

My dad worked nights until I was around 6 and I had to be quiet during the day so he could sleep. I was very good at being quiet.

I learned to smile, laugh, talk, walk, etc. like normal, maybe even a bit early, but I took a long time to be potty trained.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 May 2014, 11:24 pm

I broke a lot of bones and asked a ton of questions. I was also apparently very smart.

Last edited by perpetual_padawan on 24 May 2014, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.