How could I make the most of a social group?

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 1:39 am

I'm no longer in school and I go to a social day group twice a week. There are only 3-4 people in my group and the leader. They all still have a diagnosis like I do. I wanted this as an opportunity to learn social skills. Even if it's limited, how do I make the most out of this group for learning these skills. By the way, I am genuinely interested in meeting new people.

CuddleHug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 May 2014, 4:53 pm

I believe a helpful thing for learning is focus. So choose an objective and set out to learn the social skills required to achieve it. The objective could be how to approach people or how to manage 'small talk' or how to express yourself properly or how to engage in reciprocal conversation or perhaps how to listen properly to what someone is saying. What objective would you like to achieve?

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 10:36 pm

Which one of those will I do best first? I also started reading a website Succeed Socially.

CuddleHug
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2014, 10:54 am

Without personal information of your strengths and weaknesses I have no idea. I think listening properly would be a good base foundation but that's just a thought for my own life. The ability to listen to a persons words and understand them, then understand the meaning behind them, then add in body language, facial expression, context and anything else I've forgotten which composes the entirety of the social 'listening' experience. Quite overwhelming.

What do you want to happen, your goal for which you are pursuing this? What's currently stopping you from making it happen?