Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 2:29 am

http://news.yahoo.com/autism-underclass ... itics.html

Finally--acknowledgement that just because someone can't interview/network well, doesn't mean he/she is "unemployable."

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:51 am

I certainly feel that un/under employment is a very big problem in the autistic community. While I am now employed, I remember lots of times I was not. I feel that I have to be twice as good as the next person just to be on the same playing field. I think that employers are overlooking a very valuable resource

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 5:47 pm

That was an interesting read, and I have certainly seen what they describe happen first-hand.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 12:48 am

While the MSM has reported the 20% employment rate before, this is the first time I have seen the proper reasons for it explained. To bad it was published the Friday before Memorial Day weekend when there is low readership. Unfortunately what happened in California is going to more then wipe out whatever good would have come of this.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 7:44 pm

Quote:
Both Halfteck and Anandan say they believe that the potential of job candidates on the autism spectrum is about to hit a critical mass, that their employment is going to gain serious momentum once the data proves unequivocally that there are environments in which individuals on the spectrum regularly outperform their neurotypical colleagues?and that there should be a greater effort made to recruit them.

?Now we are at a point where people are realizing that there are better ways to make those decisions, those tools are available, and if they are not adopting those tools, they are going to be left behind,? says Halfteck. ?Because those companies that do adopt are going to be doing better than those who don?t.?

That's an encouraging read!

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 6:18 am

I wish I could get a printable copy of that article. :evil:

restlesspirit
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2014, 8:14 am

I was always able to get work alibeit under employed most of the time but now, with the stakes so much higher, my age and the fact that I DONT pass those critical thinking tests, I am now looking at the fact that I am probably not employable without a major career change,,the market is different now and i feel from what ive read that the CT tests are discriminatory against people on

"Both Halfteck and Anandan say they believe that the potential of job candidates on the autism spectrum is about to hit a critical mass, that their employment is going to gain serious momentum once the data proves unequivocally that there are environments in which individuals on the spectrum regularly outperform their neurotypical colleagues?and that there should be a greater effort made to recruit them. "

?Now we are at a point where people are realizing that there are better ways to make those decisions, those tools are available, and if they are not adopting those tools, they are going to be left behind,? says Halfteck. ?Because those companies that do adopt are going to be doing better than those who don?t.?

what areas are these, because after flunking numerous online critical thinking tests and my last experience,, I am finding that most professions are using those as screening devices and I was eliminated, even with 20 plus years experence in the field because of that.