Ever Have This Interaction with Someone?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:09 am

*Spoiler Alert for the Season 7 Finale of The Big Bang Theory: If you haven't seen it, be warned!*

On one of the most recent episodes of The Big Bang Theory, after Sheldon is threatened with being kicked out of his apartment and discovers that the comic book store has burned down, he's at the train station ready to leave, and Leonard asks what he can do. Sheldon says, "Leonard, I am overwhelmed. Everything is changing and it's simply too much. I need to get away and think," to which Leonard replies, "Come on, you know you're overreacting." That bothered me because it's the perfect example of every NT I've ever had in my life who didn't understand how terrifying my life was when my routines fell apart. Sheldon is not overreacting, he's having a normal autistic response to a lot of very difficult things all going wrong at once. Has anyone else had people say that to you, or some variant thereof, when they couldn't understand why big changes upset you so much?

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Last edited by StarTrekker on 24 May 2014, 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 3:18 am

No one has the right to belittle your feelings.

I have found this in life. Simply because people don't understand why something upsets you, doesn't mean it doesn't upset you. What you feel is what you feel - it's REAL to you and no one has the right to tell you how you should feel, what you should worry about and what you shouldn't worry about.

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:27 am

Yes this is one of a few infuriating things people say.

You're overreacting.
Get over it.
Snap out of it.

Then there is the statement about something you care deeply about:

It's not important.
It's not that big of a deal.
No one cares about that.

Gah!

ashkent
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 May 2014, 7:41 am

Ok, mini-meltdown alert!

The Big Bang Theory is one of my favourite shows as here in the UK we haven't got to that episode yet. Spoilers!

I'm going to go sulk for a bit, but I forgive you.

RAADS-R: 140

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 7:55 am

Potentially being kicked out of apartment with nowhere to go is quite stressful, even for the most NT of NT's. And the comic book store! Man-o-man...it's like the grocery store burning down for a housewife.

I guess Leonard is trying to have Sheldon deflect his emotions somewher else, so Sheldon doesn't collapse under the weight of all that stress. It's the wrong approach. He should have said, in essence, "I understand what you are going through. I'm going through the same thing. We could endure this together" (Doesn't Leonard share Sheldon's apartment?)

The ideal is not to be in denial, but to put oneselves in "survivor" mode. And to be able to count on friends for practical and emotional support.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 8:59 am

ashkent wrote:
Ok, mini-meltdown alert!

The Big Bang Theory is one of my favourite shows as here in the UK we haven't got to that episode yet. Spoilers!

Wow! I would never have thought of that. I don't watch television.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 9:58 am

Agh, spoilers!

The Big Bang Theory is a few weeks behind in the UK and this episode has not yet aired here.

Thanks a BUNCH for not even warning that there is a spoiler about a current show in your post. I clicked on it with no information that it was of that nature.

My favorite show but I'm stuck in the UK watching it weeks behind you guys......

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 10:12 am

I imagine that Startrekker did not know that it did not air in the UK yet. Let's not be too rough on her.

When my routines are disrupted it can cause me stress like that too and when people don't understand and tell me to just get over it that causes my stress levels to go through the roof and it's really infuriating. Our neighbor just called us and said they will be moving because they just got a new place. I almost cried. We like them very much but we are not super close to them or anything but they are really great neighbors. But just the thought of them not being next door to us is overwhelming. And I am afraid that anyone new might not be a good neighbor and that would be horrifying. So I am stressed over that and like Sheldon, I need time and space to process it and if anyone tells me to get over it, I will be really upset.

Wreck It Ralph

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 12:30 pm

ashkent wrote:
Ok, mini-meltdown alert!

Sorry! I'll update my post!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 12:17 pm

Why are Sheldon's feelings ok but Leonard's perception invalid?

Think about it.

From Leonard's perspective, Sheldon is overreacting, plain and simple. IMO it's perfectly acceptable for him to have this perception of the situation and to state such. Besides, it might actually serve Sheldon in a beneficial way to be reminded that his response to the situation is a bit extreme, and it might just ground him a little and bring him back down to Earth front he frazzled state he's in once he's consciously aware that he's overreacting.

And yes, throughout my life I've been told I was overreacting to things. In the moment it's frustrating when others say that, but now in 20/20 hindsight they were almost always right & I really did need to stop and assess my reactions to things and adjust them to a more appropriate level for the situation.

This thread reminds me of a short part of The Complete Guide To Asperger's Syndrome where they describe dealing with Autistic kids' overreactions to situations. i.e. if another kid had called him/her a name and then s/he responded with physical violence, the overreacting Autistic kid is then shown numeric scales to gauge responses in order to understand what an appropriate reaction is vs. overreacting. i.e. a verbal name calling might be a 2/10, but responding by hitting the kid might be considered a 9/10 - an overreaction by several magnitudes.

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 12:23 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Think about it.

From Leonard's perspective, Sheldon is overreacting, plain and simple. IMO it's perfectly acceptable for him to have this perception of the situation and to state such. Besides, it might actually serve Sheldon in a beneficial way to be reminded that his response to the situation is a bit extreme, and it might just ground him a little and bring him back down to Earth front he frazzled state he's in once he's consciously aware that he's overreacting.

And yes, throughout my life I've been told I was overreacting to things. In the moment it's frustrating when others say that, but now in 20/20 hindsight they were almost always right & I really did need to stop and assess my reactions to things and adjust them to a more appropriate level for the situation.

This thread reminds me of a short part of The Complete Guide To Asperger's Syndrome where they describe dealing with Autistic kids' overreactions to situations. i.e. if another kid had called him/her a name and then s/he responded with physical violence, the overreacting Autistic kid is then shown numeric scales to gauge responses in order to understand what an appropriate reaction is vs. overreacting. i.e. a verbal name calling might be a 2/10, but responding by hitting the kid might be considered a 9/10 - an overreaction by several magnitudes.

I just don't think it's fair for Leonard to jump to the conclusion that Sheldon is overreacting when he has no idea what he's feeling. As far as he's concerned the situation might well be as dramatic as his reaction. To the kid, being called names might be a 9/10 on the scale, and yes, he needs to be taught more appropriate responses than violence, but we can't assume that the name calling is minor just because that's the way we would perceive it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 12:38 pm

StarTrekker wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Think about it.

I just don't think it's fair for Leonard to jump to the conclusion that Sheldon is overreacting when he has no idea what he's feeling. As far as he's concerned the situation might well be as dramatic as his reaction. To the kid, being called names might be a 9/10 on the scale, and yes, he needs to be taught more appropriate responses than violence, but we can't assume that the name calling is minor just because that's the way we would perceive it.

I disagree with you. Completely.

Why isn't it "fair," for Leonard to perceive the situation as he perceives it? To Leonard, Sheldon is overreacting. Period. Further to that, just like the words vs. hitting example, if the societal norm response is one thing and Sheldon's reaction is much more extreme, then he's overreacting.

As for the example with the kids, the point is that the kid's perception is wrong if s/he thinks that being called names is a 9/10 and worthy of a violent reaction. That's the whole point of teaching kids with a quantifiable scale so that they can understand. Heck, virtually ALL kids are taught these things with the phrase "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words can never hurt me." It's not just Autistic kids that need to have this pointed out, it's a childhood learning thing.. but quantifying actions and reactions to gauge their level of appropriateness makes for a logical comparison that Autistic kids are more likely to understand and learn from.

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 5:02 pm

Regardless of the reason, NOBODY has the right to hurt anybody (this includes animals) else.

Just keep your hands to yourself and we'll all be better off.

Respect!

redcatbluecat
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 May 2014, 5:17 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

Why isn't it "fair," for Leonard to perceive the situation as he perceives it? To Leonard, Sheldon is overreacting. Period. Further to that, just like the words vs. hitting example, if the societal norm response is one thing and Sheldon's reaction is much more extreme, then he's overreacting.

As for the example with the kids, the point is that the kid's perception is wrong if s/he thinks that being called names is a 9/10 and worthy of a violent reaction. That's the whole point of teaching kids with a quantifiable scale so that they can understand. Heck, virtually ALL kids are taught these things with the phrase "Sticks and stones will break my bones, but words can never hurt me." It's not just Autistic kids that need to have this pointed out, it's a childhood learning thing.. but quantifying actions and reactions to gauge their level of appropriateness makes for a logical comparison that Autistic kids are more likely to understand and learn from.

We're not neurotypical so we will not have neurotypical responses. The way to deal with these 'overreactions' is not to try and conform to the societal norm but to accept this is how we feel. I have had a lifetime of trying to quash my natural response to fit in with society's ideas of how I "should" react, and it only leads to meltdown or shutdown/depression later. If I accept my response, even if it is an overreaction by society's standards, I can then decide logically how to deal with it in a way that doesn't hurt me or others. I've only learnt this recently (yes I'm a slow learner) and it's really liberating. So, in this example, although I haven't seen the episode, it seems that Sheldon understands how he feels about change and is taking the entirely sensible action of going away to think about it. It may not be how Leonard processes it but it doesn't mean he's wrong. It would be unfair to Leonard if Sheldon told him that his (Leonard's) reaction to the impending change was wrong, but it's not unfair to him to say he shouldn't criticise Sheldon for 'overreacting'.

And the hitting example is a completely different thing altogether. If Sheldon hit Leonard then of course he is in the wrong and it would then be unfair to stop Leonard from saying so.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 5:59 pm

redcatbluecat wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

We're not neurotypical so we will not have neurotypical responses. The way to deal with these 'overreactions' is not to try and conform to the societal norm but to accept this is how we feel. I have had a lifetime of trying to quash my natural response to fit in with society's ideas of how I "should" react, and it only leads to meltdown or shutdown/depression later. If I accept my response, even if it is an overreaction by society's standards, I can then decide logically how to deal with it in a way that doesn't hurt me or others. I've only learnt this recently (yes I'm a slow learner) and it's really liberating. So, in this example, although I haven't seen the episode, it seems that Sheldon understands how he feels about change and is taking the entirely sensible action of going away to think about it. It may not be how Leonard processes it but it doesn't mean he's wrong. It would be unfair to Leonard if Sheldon told him that his (Leonard's) reaction to the impending change was wrong, but it's not unfair to him to say he shouldn't criticise Sheldon for 'overreacting'.

And the hitting example is a completely different thing altogether. If Sheldon hit Leonard then of course he is in the wrong and it would then be unfair to stop Leonard from saying so.

Bolded the part that matters.. you've acknowledged yourself that you do in fact need to figure out ways to interact with others that are socially acceptable. That's my point.

As for Sheldon/Leonard, you've reiterated my point again as I pointed out to the OP that it's not fair to say Sheldon's reaction should be accepted but Leonard's reaction to Sheldon shouldn't. I was commenting on the OP's commentary, not on what was described as being played out in the show.

IMO the hitting example is relevant as it makes it very clear what is and isn't an acceptable reaction to something, and quantifies reactions on a relative scale to give logical explanations to Autistic kids/minds of what is and isn't socially acceptable in terms of reactions to things. The point is to that Autistics need to learn what overreactions are so that they can try to avoid them as best they can in the future.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 6:15 pm

How about "You're getting too excited' and "you got excited over nothing" and "you got upset over nothing." That can also apply to people with anxiety which is common in autism. "It's not a big deal" I hate that. To me it is a big deal.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.