Why women live longer than man, that's unfair :-)

Page 2 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 2:15 pm

My grandpa got over 90 years old (I think it was 94). He was overweight, drank a beer every day and I was told for over 20 years that he'll die soon. You never know and statistics don't tell much.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 1:22 am

Actually statistics do tell much, people simply dont get, that they are AVERAGE truths, and not ULTIMATE ones. So yes, there are tons of people smoking a pack of cigarettes each day, and still getting 95 years old. But for every smoker managing that, there will be as well one, having to fight cancers, due to smoking, with 35-40. So there is nothing wrong with an statistic, telling you that people smoking a pack of cigarettes a day, may statistically die with an average age of 65, anyway how many old smokers you know. ^^

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 2:54 am

Well but personally it doesn't help me much when statistics tell me for example that a diet high of proteins and low of carbohydrates is healthier for the organism than the other way around when my kidneys have trouble processing proteins. What I wanna say with that is that there are so many factors and also many things we still don't know about the human body that it's very difficult to find out the perfect combination on a healthy lifestyle and probably even impossible. Also small amounts of alcohol everyday can have a positive effect, maybe that's why he got so old? This is more a rethorical question, because we'll never know for sure. My grandma is an extreme case of obsessive compulsive PD and every mental health stuff I met, who knows about my grandma, tells me it's best for her to go into therapy and that such an extreme case of OcPD can even have a life shortening effect. She is 97 now, can still live on its own and is doing well, never went into therapy and managed to raise 5 children that way, even in times of war when her husband was away for 7 years. He was locked away in a Russian working camp against his will. I ask myself since a while if all those mental health experts are wrong and she managed to get so old because of her severe OcPD? Also something we'll never know for sure. Life is highly complex and sometimes a behaviour that is considered as unhealthy, can be beneficial in another environment. So I don't care that much about statistcs when it comes to my personal life and since I don't care that much anymore what is supposed to be the best in an objective way, I feel mostly better. I still have some difficulties yes, but when I tried doing everything right my life was falling apart. There is no: "one lifestyle suits all", I don't believe in that anymore and statistcs just can tell me what's best on an average level, but not on a personal one.

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 3:06 am

Raziel wrote:
I don't believe in that anymore and statistcs just can tell me what's best on an average level, but not on a personal one.

The average level is simply do give you an indicator, that you can start with. Then you adjust it with your personal preferences. In average Mediterranean diet is very healthy. Thats the average informations. That you need to take in caution, if you are allergic to all sort of fish, seafood, tomatoes and milk, = factors that you personally vary from the "average person" is then something you need to do yourself. It simply gives you a point to start with.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 3:38 am

Schneekugel wrote:
The average level is simply do give you an indicator, that you can start with. Then you adjust it with your personal preferences. In average Mediterranean diet is very healthy. Thats the average informations. That you need to take in caution, if you are allergic to all sort of fish, seafood, tomatoes and milk, = factors that you personally vary from the "average person" is then something you need to do yourself. It simply gives you a point to start with.

In some Asian countries the ppl also get very old, but the Mediterranean kitchen is European and so more easily to follow for most westerners, but that's not an argument that has to do with the most perfect diet. Also the Mediterranean diet per se doesn't exist, becaue it exists out of many different cultures with many different eating happits. I lived in Italy once and I never felt more like crap. I rather prefere to listen to ppl in my family who are far away by doing everything right on a statistical level, but got close to hundred years old or even will get older and share genes with me.

When I was a little child, I was suffering from severe asthma and the doctors gave my parents all kinds of medication they were supposed to give me. My mom threw them all out and treated me the way she though is the best for me and now I don't have asthma anymore since several years.

It's not like I don't believe doctors at all, they sometimes have good advice, but when I was a little kid, they told my parents I'll probably never be able to learn to speak. When I got older they told my parents I'll never be able to read and write correctly, then they told them I'll never be able to learn a second language. I never cared for their opinion and was able to learn all that. Some tell me now I'm good with languages, I still have the feeling they are kidding. A few years ago I started to believe the stuff some mental health professionals wanted to see me and I felt more and more sick and got highly depressed and was even traumatised by being locked away in the locked ward. Now I stay away from the psychiatry in my city and still have traumatic symptoms from the time back than but mostly recovered. I've a psychiatrist who is very unconventional and it works better for me. Sometimes the unconventional way can be the best. I know ppl where the conventional way helped the best and things who where traumatising for me, helped them. It's just a personal thing and I believe everyone has to find out the perfect combination for themself.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2014, 1:20 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:
trollcatman wrote:
I read that eunuchs live longer too. Testosterone is just bad for us. So if you are male and want to live longer... snip snip.

I assume you're being sarcastic, but this is the internet so I'm not sure. This definitely not true.

Actually I'm pretty sure that it is true, I remember reading this in a journal article on the subject some time ago.

yes it is true. also things like protaste cancer can be caused by testosterone.

Quote:
So basically women do not live longer than men, people who live healthier live longer. I think studies like this can't really be proven one way or the other, unless you monitor a huge population of people from birth to death.

yes, female life style is in average much healthier. but I read that biological factors also play a role like hormones and distribution of fat and heart attacks probability.