Why women live longer than man, that's unfair :-)

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 10:03 am

You can see it in all the statistics, the longest living man is a woman from France? lived to 124 years. She died probably in 2005, is in the Guinness Book of Records.

Two of the longest reigning monarchs of British are women

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 10:36 am

Lots of reasons. There is some biological base but overall I would say women are more conscientious.
Like, men do things like drink and drive, use lots of drugs and alcohol, kill each other in urban gangs... I read all of those statistics. If you read statistics like comparation of gender in deaths in traffic, in crimes, in substance abuse you will see men are much much more likely to do those kinds of things. Highest mortality rates (in accidents and such not disease) where I live are men 18-24 yo. This is the age they do the greatest quantity of BS! and end up dead, unfortunately...

abkala1
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 May 2014, 3:10 am

One reason, men don't seek help for their problems, mental or physical. ESPECIALLY mental. To ask for and seek help is seen as a weakness, and in our patriarchal society, NOTHING is worse than weakness.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 12:48 pm

abkala1 wrote:
One reason, men don't seek help for their problems, mental or physical. ESPECIALLY mental. To ask for and seek help is seen as a weakness, and in our patriarchal society, NOTHING is worse than weakness.

Are you saying that a woman with mental health problems are more likely to seek professional psychiatric help than men?

starvingartist
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 1:43 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
abkala1 wrote:

Are you saying that a woman with mental health problems are more likely to seek professional psychiatric help than men?

i'm pretty sure there is copious peer-reviewed evidence out there to support that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 1:57 pm

Women do live longer than men in most societies--the stats bear that out.

But they are only stats based upon a macrocosmic view.

I don't think this should be inserted into the "Gender Wars."

That fact doesn't matter to me, though. As I'm a person, and I intend on living a long life, whether or not I'm a woman or man.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 2:26 pm

Life is unfair. I once knew a guy who had mild intellectual disability (but with an IQ high enough to be aware of it--and the limitations it caused) and who died of cancer in his early 40's. After he said that life was unfair because of his cancer and his intellectual disability, I realized that life has treated me pretty well.

VictoryForCake
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 May 2014, 9:05 am

I do say that women do have a longer lifespan than men. But one of the reasons i remember being told why it was a large gap between men and women was occupational deaths as men were more likely to work in occupations where the likelihood of death was higher, And women worked in safer occupations, This is slowly changing now days though

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 1:12 pm

Here is a good article on the topic:

https://www.cmu.edu/CSR/case_studies/wo ... onger.html

It has always make me kind of sad to know that I probably won't live as long as women will, but you have to make the best of the hand you're dealt and the time you're given!

Schneekugel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 2:23 am

There has been research among monks and nuns (because of these having a similar living style), that showed that men and woman have a rather similar lifespan, when treating themselve the same way.

Causes that were meant, to why men die earlier. Less willing to go to doctors, being it for routine checks or when having illnesses, more men having unhealthier life styles and food habbits (as example by statistic more average alcohol/nicotine consume, more fat food)... As well that for earlier generations hard physical labor work was a factor,

trollcatman
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 5:34 am

I read that eunuchs live longer too. Testosterone is just bad for us. So if you are male and want to live longer... snip snip.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 7:08 am

Schneekugel wrote:
There has been research among monks and nuns (because of these having a similar living style), that showed that men and woman have a rather similar lifespan, when treating themselve the same way.

Causes that were meant, to why men die earlier. Less willing to go to doctors, being it for routine checks or when having illnesses, more men having unhealthier life styles and food habbits (as example by statistic more average alcohol/nicotine consume, more fat food)... As well that for earlier generations hard physical labor work was a factor,

So basically women do not live longer than men, people who live healthier live longer. I think studies like this can't really be proven one way or the other, unless you monitor a huge population of people from birth to death. Look at any of the men in fitness and how long they usually live. Jack Lalanne lived to be 96.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 7:26 am

trollcatman wrote:
I read that eunuchs live longer too. Testosterone is just bad for us. So if you are male and want to live longer... snip snip.

No thanks :D i would like keep two favorite parts of my body, even if i would lived shorter :D

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 7:32 am

trollcatman wrote:

I assume you're being sarcastic, but this is the internet so I'm not sure. This definitely not true.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 11:49 am

CommanderKeen wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

I assume you're being sarcastic, but this is the internet so I'm not sure. This definitely not true.

Actually I'm pretty sure that it is true, I remember reading this in a journal article on the subject some time ago.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 12:58 pm

Stargazer43 wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:
trollcatman wrote:

Actually I'm pretty sure that it is true, I remember reading this in a journal article on the subject some time ago.

Still doesn't mean it's true. In fact men many men that have been into fitness over the years have lived well into their 80s and 90s. Keep in mind the men I speak of wouldn't be typical in studies. I don't see how anyone can really make an accurate study though. Also, studies can be setup bias. If they use men in a study for this, they can pick the most out of shape men they can find.