Can one convince themselves they don't have ASD

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 10:34 pm

How hard and impossible is this? I grown to be too involved and paid too much attention to the label. Besides, the label aspergers or autism only gets people into trouble, like mass murders and stuff. I would much rather assimilate with NT's at least label-wise than fight many decades trying to get people to accept a label. Also truth is, not everyone can accept everyone or everything.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 10:49 pm

I used to when I was younger

SquidinHostBody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 May 2014, 11:25 pm

The Squid once convinced himself after being diagnosed with diabetes that he didn't have it. He ended up in the hospital ICU for five days. Moral of the story? You can convince yourself you don't have something, but that does not stop you from having it. You should embrace your ASD. The trick isn't convincing oneself they don't have it. It's convincing the rest of the world.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2014, 11:54 pm

Yes they can. It's called denial.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 May 2014, 12:00 am

You can and then you get diagnosed with something else, and given a medication that doesn't work and only makes it worse. Usually that is what happens, and people don't find out they have ASD until much later. ASD is much more of an etiology than anything else, that tells you what treatments would be most likely to work.

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2014, 3:24 am

Yeah, I have to agree with the Squid on this one. The sooner you start embracing Autism, the happier you'll be. This doesn't mean you have to scream it from the rooftops, rather, you can just appreciate yourself for who you are. Otherwise, you'll likely send yourself into a spiraling depression since your symptoms won't disappear and you'll just grow frustrated trying to ignore them, only to have them keep popping back up.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 6:50 am

i don't quite get this. if you don't want to think of yourself as an autistic person, then don't. just think of yourself as a person.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 7:33 am

You can, commonly known as denial, not that its gonna do you any favors.

pretending a problem isnt there, isnt gonna make it go away. The first step is always to face and accept whatever it is.

I know i spend must of my childhood in denial, it didn help it didn have a name back then other than laziness.

Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 7:58 am

To again echo the squid, who is indeed wise, you will have asperger's and always have it. What you can do is learn how to best cope with it and how to better yourself as a person despite having it - learn social skills, learn independence, learn freedom from fear of judgement from others. It won't come overnight, but it's certainly worth the struggle.

CJH123
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2014, 8:39 am

SquidinHostBody wrote:
The Squid once convinced himself after being diagnosed with diabetes that he didn't have it. He ended up in the hospital ICU for five days. Moral of the story? You can convince yourself you don't have something, but that does not stop you from having it. You should embrace your ASD. The trick isn't convincing oneself they don't have it. It's convincing the rest of the world.

True ^^^ I've only come to accept this recently myself and am still having trouble accepting it but hopefully I will get thier. Still you have to remember even if you have AS you are still a person and whatever you do don't forget that.

AdamAutistic
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 8:57 am

what if you were to get hypnotized?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 12:29 pm

AdamAutistic wrote:
what if you were to get hypnotized?

Then you'd be right back to where you started before you ever heard of AS; confused and upset that nothing seems to be working for you the way you want it to and not understanding why. Neurological disabilities aren't something you can fight by pretending you don't have them; you have to work with them, find ways to appropriately accomodate for your symptoms that still allow you to live the life you want.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 12:31 am

People can convince themselves of anything, that's probably why so many are in denial and/or would rather believe complete and blatant lies, than the truth which is so obvious it could slap them in the face.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 2:24 am

I used to believe that I was autistic, but now I believe that the concept of being autistic isn't as black and white as people believe. I believe that I had behaviors and traits that looked autistic at the time I was diagnosed causing me to be diagnosed with autism. Many people including mental health professionals don't believe I'm autistic. I know that's not a compliment to most people here, but it is a compliment to me.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 3:41 am

It's called denial, and it's a very, very painful thing that ultimately does nothing good in the long run. I should know, as I went through a denial phase from my preteen years to my mid teens. They were some of the hardest years of my life, and they would have went by much more smoothly had I accepted my condition.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 9:26 am

K_Kelly wrote:
How hard and impossible is this? I grown to be too involved and paid too much attention to the label. Besides, the label aspergers or autism only gets people into trouble, like mass murders and stuff. I would much rather assimilate with NT's at least label-wise than fight many decades trying to get people to accept a label. Also truth is, not everyone can accept everyone or everything.

I think it isn't necessarily that hard if there are things you're good at that y can focus on AND the people you are around and you are in agreement that you and they are people.

If you focus on the differences, or if people around you focus on what's wrong or how you're different, then no, this can't be done without driving yourself to the brink of insanity or over.