Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 6:43 am

I highly doubt anyone thinks it's a wonder mineral which can cure every little problem you have.

Wreck It Ralph

Inthewind336
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2014, 4:52 pm

I definately feel a difference after taking the citrate.. And if I miss doses than I feel a physical difference as well.

It makes sense that the government doesn't try to push magnesium because it would kill profits for big pharmaceutical companies.

Years ago, in caveman times, our lifestyle was different and we got magnesium through swimming in the oceans/seas/salt lakes & by drinking spring water with mag in it & by also eating enough dark leafy greens. Today, the average person does none of that.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 4:55 pm

And the soils used to grow vegetable intensively are more depleted of minerals now. So even fresh leafy vegetables are less nutritious than they were. Except for organically grown ones - though there is a lot of trickery in that area too. So increasingly, you have to supplement minerals, more's the pity.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 5:18 pm

It makes me relax more.

Wreck It Ralph

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 11:33 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
I do think magnesium supplementation could be a good idea if one eats a diet rich in meat and dairy rather than plant-based foods. However, be cautious of people informing you of the wonderful short-term health benefits - the main thing is a reduced risk of dropping dead from a heart attack in 10-30 years. Someone selling you short term benefits is probably selling you the placebo effect, in the hope that you'll buy more of their "wonderful" products...

Oh, right.. because those of us who have experienced short term benefits that we've shared here with others and recommended that they go to their local pharmacy and buy a ~$10 4kg container of epsom salts MUST be in it for the money we're making! :lol: :roll:

OK, correction: they're either selling you the placebo effect, or they've already been sold it by someone else.

OR not.

Why do you assume others are experiencing a placebo effect vs. genuine health improvements?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-h ... 25499.html

Because I know a thing or two about a) pseudoscience peddled by the likes of Dr Hyman (check out his other work, the guy is a nut), b) actual science. You expect to be taken seriously when you claim magnesium can be absorbed through the skin?

If you're frequently feeling fatigued or dizzy, maybe you're magnesium deficient and could benefit in the medium term from supplementing it. Otherwise, the benefits are long term. It is NOT a wonder mineral, it will NOT cure every little problem you have. If you feel all kinds of problems being cured very rapidly, it is a placebo.

This isn't pseudoscience. It's science. I don't know Dr Hyman. The article was a google hit. I did read it, though. Somehow I doubt he's a nut. I bet if I did read about him he simply believes different things than you do & thus you label him a nut. And magnesium can be absorbed through the skin. That's why people do epsom salt foot soaks/baths/lotions.

I've never discontinued using it since I started, so I don't know if the benefits wouldn't stick around if I stopped. I doubt I'm as sensitive to salicylate acids anymore since they don't seem to bother me, but they could still build up and mess with me if I were to stop using the salts. So, I'll use the salts. I never said it will cute every little problem you have. No, it was not & is not a placebo effect. I detoxed the acids that were wreaking havoc on my brain and experienced rapid improvements - first with a dramatic reduction in depression, anxiety, and audio sensory overload, and then with improved executive brain functions over time - as I've described several times over on these forums.

Just because you don't believe me does not make me a liar.