Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

muslimmetalhead
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 11:03 am

I'm making a hitlist of movies that I need to watch.Cultural education of sorts.
what I have/have watched
Toy Story/most disney/pixar/children's animated movies of 90's/2000s famous ones
Fight Club
Batman trilogy
inception
narnia
dancer in dark
dark days
elephant
please exit shop door
mary and max
hardcandy
into the wild
thank you for smoking
I am legend
jurassic park
casablanca
forrest gump
harry potter
crouching tiger
matrix
blade runner
chicken run!! !!preschool days
ice age films
paprika
spirited away
godfather 1

starkid
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 3:29 pm

You are going to watch Narnia the movie...as cultural education??? Well, considering the unimaginative nature of American cinema, you will definitely be getting fundamental knowledge about it by watching a cinematic version of a work of literature.

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2014, 4:28 pm

Well, culture has various definitions and this guy even has the Ice Age trilogy in there. Here's another list of 'Classic' movies.

The Third Man
Citizen Kane
Manhunter
The Godfather
Metropolis
Things To Come
The Outlaw Josie Wales
Cool Hand Luke
Gladiator
As Good As it Gets
The Man in the White Suit
Terminator
2001 A Space Odyssey
Alien

And my girlfriend suggested adding The Seven Samurai and When Worlds Collide

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 4:44 am

Add some Godard and Kubrick to your list. The two greatest film makers of the 20th century imo. Also, no Hitchcock?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0yuKp55cuw

Eccles_the_Mighty
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 4:14 pm

2001 is a Kubrick movie but I'm not much of a Hitchcock fan.

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 5:53 pm

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:

I don't know whether you know about this guy, but he has a large cult following for his film analysis, particularly of Kubrick films. I spend a lot of time watching his stuff.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ErcwMmtW3k[/youtube]

Moviefan2k4
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 9:08 pm

'm a huge fan of the "Back to the Future" trilogy, and would recommend it to anyone who likes stories of time travel, fairly-clean comedy, science, or American history.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 9:12 am

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a must see. Directed by John Ford and starring Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, Lee Marvin, Lee Van Cleef, John Carradine...

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2014, 1:27 pm

Then you can see A Fistful of Dollars, (I recommend reading Red Harvest too, since that's where the story is from.) and the Good, the Bad and the Ugly. This is for knowing what the current era of Westerns comes from after The Man who Shot Liberty Valance. Then if you read Red Harvest and liked it, there's an entire classic film genre called film noir with stories and an attitude of writing like Red Harvest. Some of those film noirs have already been listed, Blade Runner is a cross between film noir and science fiction. The Great Gatsby from 2013 is another great way to mix film and literature.

If you like Dancer in the Dark, then see Mulholland Drive.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 1:48 pm

Blade Runner
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
The Wild Bunch
Sunset Boulevard
The Wolfman
Dracula
The original Star Wars trilogy
Nosferatu
The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari
The Elephant Man
Blue Velvet

At least I consider them to be classics. Doubtlessly, there are others.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 10:54 pm

What? We're discussing "Classics", and no one mentioned "Gone With the Wind"

Also, I consider: "The Sound of Music", "Miracle on 34th Street", "The Wizard of Oz", "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner", and "Star Wars" (somebody already said that one), classics. Most would add "It's a Wonderful Life".

I guess it's a generational thing.....

FanDe
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2014, 8:41 am

Classic movies.... Let's see.
I guess I liked Charlie Chaplin's modern times. I'm a little bit of a fan of slapstick humor and asian cinema has a lot of that, so without further ado, here's some good classics from Hong Kong, Taiwan and Mainland China that I have watched.

Peking Opera Blues (It takes place in China during the warlord period where generals were literally carving up China and fighting over land, hard to imagine a comedy in this setting but it actually works nicely )
Execution in Autumn (this one's main appeal is that you get to see a lot of characteristics of the Han Dynasty in China, the costumes and props are really well done, you can tell it's an old movie but it really stands up to modern ones)
Farewell My Concubine (I'd be surprised if you haven't heard of this movie, it's famous in the Western world too, it takes place in 3 different eras, feudal china, japan occupied China, and Liberated China, arguably more eras but I won't get into that)
To Live (another movie that takes place in many eras in China, but it starts after the end of World War II in feudal China right before the civil war so, feudal China, civil war China, the early days of the CCP (Chinese Communist Party), the Great Leap Forward, and the Cultural Revolution.)
I know that some people may think that you're wasting your braincells away watching movies but some of the older Chinese cinema does a really good job at capturing these historical moments and it really helps you get an understanding of a different cultures.
Another movies I liked is Kamikaze Diaries (Takes place in imperial Japan, I don't want to give away the plot, it's a b&w film but it made me cry, you get the general idea of the film theme by its title though)
There's many more I could discuss but this is all for now. Maybe I'll do one more.
I've seen "The Flower Girl", it's supposed to be a masterpiece of North Korean cinema but personally, the movie was just so depressing, I spent the entire time looking for one happy moment.
Ok I guess there's time for more...
Let's see. "Come and See" was another good one, it's a film about the invasion of I think of Belarus very dramatic and chaotic the entire film but enjoyable.
Lastly I'd like to suggest Yellow Earth
Yellow Earth is about a CCP member who comes to the countryside to collect folk songs and transform them into Communist propaganda. It's interesting because a lot of the CCP's songs do have a real folk song feel to them, search for 阿瓦人民唱新歌 if you want to know what I'm talking about.

So to list what I said

Come and See
Yellow Earth
The Flower Girl
Peking Opera Blues
Kamikaze Diaries
Execution in Autumn
Farewell My Concubine
To Live

All interesting movies, I recommend them to anyone who is interested in history or wants to see culture at work.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 2:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Blade Runner
The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly
The Wild Bunch
Sunset Boulevard
The Wolfman
Dracula
The original Star Wars trilogy
Nosferatu
The Cabinet Of Dr. Caligari
The Elephant Man
Blue Velvet

At least I consider them to be classics. Doubtlessly, there are others.

I should add,

It's A wonderful Life
King Kong
The Creature From The Black Lagoon

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 3:49 pm

Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:

Have you seen North by Northwest? It tends to be the popular with people that are lukewarm about his work generally.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 5:27 pm

Stannis wrote:
Eccles_the_Mighty wrote:

Have you seen North by Northwest? It tends to be the popular with people that are lukewarm about his work generally.

OMIGOD! How could I have forgotten North By Northwest, Psycho, and Hitchcock's others?