Do you have more friends of the opposite sex than same sex?

Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 6:18 pm

i have two same sex friends and 5 Opposite sex friends. i get along better with boys than girls. i just dont share the same interest as some girls.

oh, but one of my same sex friends has classic autism and 4 of my opposite sex friends have aspergers.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 6:31 pm

I used to. I always felt more comfortable having male friends than female friends and in particular tended to make friends with older men. That is until I wised up and realized most of them were just biding their time hoping to have sex with me. NOT that I made this assumption myself, in most cases they eventually told me so, or else they made it obvious by grabbing at me or doing something really inappropriate. Sorry to say this but I just don't trust having men as friends anymore.

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 6:47 pm

zero / zero. does my mother count ? lol

jetbuilder
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 6:51 pm

I'm a guy and my best friend is a girl. I think my friends are about 50\50 guys\girls. I'm asexual, and I don't feel any sexual tension with girls (unless a girls is hitting on me. A lot of the time I don't realize when they are). I'm kinda glad about that because I can have close friendships with girls and not have any thoughts of sex get in the way.

My Tumblr: http://jetbuilder.tumblr.com/

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 9:37 am

I've always gotten along better with women than men. My psychologist told me that that's not unusual for aspie males.

For me, they just seem easier to have a conversation with. Maybe they're just for forgiving of my "aspieness" - I don't know.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 10:11 am

Most of my friends at school when I was a child were female but during secondary school there was no choice in the matter because it was a boys school and it's culture was very gender obsessive. Also it was overly macho especially the thick ones and the allistic but not autism friendly humour who thought that hating on AS people was funny. Not what I look for in a friend and if you have friends like that who needs enemies? I think allistic people tend to be more homosocial (preferring friends of the same sex as oneself) than non allistic people.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 11:45 am

eggheadjr wrote:
I've always gotten along better with women than men. My psychologist told me that that's not unusual for aspie males.

For me, they just seem easier to have a conversation with. Maybe they're just for forgiving of my "aspieness" - I don't know.

I have found several married women at work take right to me. I never understood why until I found out they were married to Aspie-like men and had Aspie-like sons! They *get* me :D I might have stereotypical male interests and hang around stereotypical men and have a stereotypical male look but I would much prefer to be around women any day. There was an interesting theory posted in the LGBT forum that Aspergers is just gender-blending combined with slow development and the more I learn the more it makes some degree of sense. All aspies I know are radically different but have two things in common: emotionally immature/look young for their age and get along better with those of the opposite sex.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 May 2014, 12:02 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
eggheadjr wrote:

I have found several married women at work take right to me. I never understood why until I found out they were married to Aspie-like men and had Aspie-like sons! They *get* me :D I might have stereotypical male interests and hang around stereotypical men and have a stereotypical male look but I would much prefer to be around women any day. There was an interesting theory posted in the LGBT forum that Aspergers is just gender-blending combined with slow development and the more I learn the more it makes some degree of sense. All aspies I know are radically different but have two things in common: emotionally immature/look young for their age and get along better with those of the opposite sex.

That's so interesting. I'm 37 but constantly get confused as being much much younger.

Nonperson
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 1:11 pm

Definitely. I'm female - most women and girls are really mean to me. Always have been.

LongleafPine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 May 2014, 7:56 pm

Interesting topic. Female and as a child and young adult, I usually had only one or two female friends who were motherly toward me. I was sort of afraid of boys. Then at college age I hung out with hippie groups of both sexes. But once I started working, I felt more comfortable with the men because the women got more involved with romantic relationships, homes, and families. Plus my lack of social skills seemed more of a barrier. The whole non-verbal, indirect communication thing seemed much more difficult with women. Now that I'm retired and can focus only on my interests, I can generally enjoy both women and men who share those interests, but still feel like I'm visiting another country with groups of women, a pleasant and kind one but always a little mysterious.

Dr_Cheeba
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 May 2014, 8:35 pm

This is very interesting... I'm surprised how many get along better with the opposite sex than their own.

I'm a straight guy and have always gotten along better with women. This could also be because I was raised by my mom until I was 6 years old until my step father came into the picture.
I just find it easier with girls and they like me as well.

I badly want a good male friendship but I just don't connect with most guys and don't "get it." That being how to hang-out and do guy stuff.
Whenever I get invited to hang-out with new guys that I met, initially they welcome me but then they realize I'm a little "weird" and it fizzles out... Girls don't seem to view me the same way, they love my weirdness as it's unique.

JurgenW
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 May 2014, 8:38 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
There was an interesting theory posted in the LGBT forum that Aspergers is just gender-blending combined with slow development and the more I learn the more it makes some degree of sense. All aspies I know are radically different but have two things in common: emotionally immature/look young for their age and get along better with those of the opposite sex.

When I read about "male lesbians" a few years ago, their characteristis seemed to fit a description of me, and these three last characteristics above might be correct as well. At least the "younger-looking" is a frequent comment.

But to the original topic, I have never had friends, so I cannot have more friends of any gender more than the other.

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 9:35 pm

My most meaningful friendships have been men. When I was a child it was boys. Currently I have no friends but if I did it would be a man.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 9:50 pm

I always hanged out a lot with guys. When I was younger my group of friends was like 7 boys. (I was also called lesbian when younger but nevermind)
but my best friends have always been female! Thing is, guys are fun and easy to get along with, but I think as best friends girls work better because they can talk about real stuff and understand and support and love you. Guys usually don't want to get intimate like that. They are nice to go out with and have a funny crazy night, but in the end it is my female best friends I really have strong bonds with.
I would say I like to have friends of both genders. and some male friends can be quite sweet too :)

I think this thread is interesting because aspies have been described as "gender queers" (in the sense of not being what one would expect based on gender stereotypes)

Last edited by linatet on 28 May 2014, 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hyena
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 May 2014, 9:54 pm

Yes she does :)

loner1984 wrote:
does my mother count ? lol

AutumnSylver
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

29 May 2014, 3:40 am

Yes, I've always had more male friends than female, and I prefer it that way. Guys are a lot less likely to be two-faced, to stab you in the back, to spread rumours about you, to talk s**t about you behind your back, etc. Guys are a lot more easy-going and there is so much less drama with guys. I can't stand it when someone constantly has some sort of drama going on in their life. (And it's usually either created by the person themselves, or extremely exaggerated). I also tend to have more interests in common with guys than with girls.