Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Marduk1965
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Jun 2015, 2:52 pm

Something that many people don't understand or even care about is that many of us who use e-cigarette type devices have tried every other method known to us to quit smoking. It still took me seven months to completely transition from cigarettes to vaping (as it is now called by many). I tried cold turkey about twice a year for thirty-three years. I also tried Chantix which did help me quit for seven weeks while I was taking it. Before I finished my prescription of Chantix, I freaked out and had to buy a pack of smokes. I tried the gum but after smoking for so long I had lost some teeth due to gum disease caused by smoking. The gum stuck to my fake teeth and was like murder to remove. I read books which advised quitting cold turkey but helped by using a mindset that they recommended. I could only manage to quit for a few hours that way. There were other methods tried but I'm sure, by now, I'm beating a dead horse.

I also had a problem with sucking my fingers as a kid instead of my thumb once they got my pacifier away from me. I would do it when no one was watching until I got into school. Ten years later I started smoking. It was a lot like sucking my fingers as far as being comforting.

So now I vape and am off of cigarettes, although I do occasionally have a cigar. I hope to one day give up vaping too. Sadly it has become something I do while rocking back and forth in my chair. I build some of my own devices for it and make my own juice.

As far as cutting down on nicotine, I didn't have to make a conscious effort to cut down. Nicotine has a taste to me that is a lot like a pepper. That does not go too well with most of the flavors I like to vape. When I finally quit smoking I was using 24mg/ml of nicotine. I now use 3mg/ml.

Sorry, I talk too much.
tl;dr - tried quitting too many ways, e-cigarettes finally did it.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Jun 2015, 8:40 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
I am totally loving it! Right now I've got a liquid with a high nicotene percentage, but I'm going to try to lower it. Half the fun is just playing with the thing. It's a wonderful stim object.

I totally agree! I have the habit of tightening and loosening the tank repeatedly. Only by a few mm but it definitely keeps me from my wrist snapping stim. I have a deep fried snickers bar flavor, it's essentially a nut, chocolate and cream based flavor. 24mg of nicotine is what I started with, but I'm down from that.

It's no cigarette, but it's a good way to kick the habit of tobacco! Glad you are loving it.

Marduk1965

06 Jun 2015, 1:16 pm

That sounds delicious and is very similar to the kind of flavors that finally helped my put the cigarette down. I need to see if I can find that flavor somewhere. I have to find just the flavor because I am very sensitive to so many chemicals that it is necessary for me to make my own liquid.

sagarverma
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jun 2015, 11:52 pm

It also contains nicotine which is addictive and dangerous for heart health.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2015, 8:38 am

I very much like e-cigs.

deegood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Sep 2019, 11:48 am

100% agree with Ann2011 as I started feeling and breathing better as soon as I switched from ciggies to e-cigs. At the moment I quitted both cigarettes and e-cigs, prefer

Last edited by B19 on 13 Nov 2019, 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2019, 1:26 pm

Ann2011 wrote:
... are you less bothered by emissions from e-cigarettes than you are of cigarettes? And why or why not?
They all bother me, because they stink.

And that cloud of vapor also contains glycerin and other chemicals -- things that people should not be breathing, intentionally or not. You will likely acquire "Vapers' Lung", which is an accumulation within your lungs of glycerine and other chemicals which are not exhaled or absorbed by your body.

But it's your choice. Just don't impose your choice of death on your mother.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Marduk1965

09 Sep 2019, 3:37 pm

This is a very old thread

Evacony
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2019, 3:38 am

Most medical experts now agree that e-cigarettes are a lot safer and thanks to it you can quit smoking at all.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 8:12 am

Evacony wrote:
Most medical experts now agree that e-cigarettes are a lot safer and thanks to it you can quit smoking at all.
Explain the deaths and disabilities resulting from e-cigarette use.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

deegood
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2019, 9:51 am

E-cigs are really cheaper, that's true. I also agree that they don't affect lungs and breathing in general so awfully like usual cigs do. I breathe better since I quitted nicotine and switched to vaping.

Last edited by B19 on 13 Nov 2019, 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.: spammer

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 10:04 am

A sixth person died from vaping-related lung disease.  Here's what you need to know...

As of Friday (2019/09/06), there have been more than 450 cases of lung illness associated with using e-cigarettes reported to the CDC across 33 states and the US Virgin Islands.

The federal investigation into the link between vaping and severe lung illnesses is ongoing and has not identified a specific cause, but all reported cases have indicated the use of e-cigarette products.

Vitamin E acetate is now "a key focus" of the investigations into the illnesses. Some of the products that have been found to contain vitamin E acetate are candy-flavored vapes.

The Centers for Disease Control says e-cigarettes should never be used by youth, young adults, pregnant women or adults who do not currently use tobacco products. People should consider not using e-cigarette products and people who do should monitor themselves for symptoms.

Tuesday (2019/09/10), the American Lung Association warned that "e-cigarettes are not safe" and can cause irreversible lung damage and disease.

New York State's Governor Cuomo wants to ban flavored e-cigarettes and said in a statement Monday (2019/09/09) that he will advance new legislation to do so. Michigan has already passed a similar law.

Wake up, people! E-cigarettes and "Vaping" are NOT safe!

Marduk1965

11 Sep 2019, 2:23 pm

Fnord wrote:

Wake up, people! E-cigarettes and "Vaping" are NOT safe!

We never said they were.

One quick question. How did you quit smoking?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 3:53 pm

Marduk1965 wrote:
... How did you quit smoking?
I chose to never smoke.

Marduk1965

11 Sep 2019, 4:50 pm

Some of did for whatever reason. Now we are addicted and e-cigarettes are the only thing that helped me quick. Since there will now be a flavor ban the point is moot and needs no further support from me. I am backing out of this conversation now.

It was fun.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Sep 2019, 6:56 pm

Sure ... if one poison relieves you of an addiction to a worse poison, then go for it. It all comes down to the fact that, by definition, there is no 100% safe poison.