khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 8:23 pm

khaoz wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2601606/Take-lot-selfies-Then-MENTALLY-ILL-Two-thirds-patients-body-image-disorders-obsessively-photos-themselves.html

The Daily Mail is a scummy UK tabloid.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 9:08 pm

Pobbles wrote:
khaoz wrote:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2601606/Take-lot-selfies-Then-MENTALLY-ILL-Two-thirds-patients-body-image-disorders-obsessively-photos-themselves.html

The Daily Mail is a scummy UK tabloid.

Thank you for sharing that with me

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 9:13 pm

Can I assume that you aren't the type of person who takes selfies?

Nor am I.

Every time I see one I cringe.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 9:35 pm

Pobbles wrote:
Can I assume that you aren't the type of person who takes selfies?

Nor am I.

Every time I see one I cringe.
i have taken one "selfie" in my life. I have 3 expensive cameras and I don't take pictures of any human beings, let alone myself. I don't knowingly allow anyone else to picture me. I have no pictures of anyone, or anything in my home or my wallet. My response, no, I do not like selfies. They make me cringe too

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 10:30 pm

I don't believe that schmuck for a second.

Pobbles
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 10:36 pm

I'm not the only autophobic one then. Flinching, or the clenching of one's fist is the spinal reflex when someone else points a camera at me.

There aren't many photos of me in existence, but I'm more than happy to point and operate a camera provided that the subject is worthy of photographing. I don't have any photos in my wallet, on my home's walls, or in any tacky albums that lie like traps for unsuspecting guests.
(that said, I do have a number of family photos especially departed relatives backed up to a couple of hard drives, but I rarely view or add to them)

One thing I hate in particular is being shown other people's holiday snaps.

"Dude, you have ruined an otherwise beautiful shot of a mesoamerican pyramid with your stupid, leering SO / kids. WHY?"

It's almost like I have a neurological disorder.

Interestingly, I don't have a problem with being filmed.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 11:13 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I don't believe that schmuck for a second.

That is the kind of thing my mother says when I tell her what body language experts say about some of her behaviors

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 3:18 am

I've never taken a selfie; but I don't run away screaming from cameras either; can't say I care about being photographed either way.

khaoz
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 3:36 am

I know I have to be careful about phrasing, and this is no reflection on anyone else, but for my personality, taking a selfie would be like self worship. Like the pinnacle of vanity. It is just an overload on who I am. I have a problem with what I would call "big personalities" or huge egos. Being around that is like a fog that devours me. Part of having a camera pointed at me is the feeling that I am being focused on. I cannot deal with any attention, even from myself. If someone compliments me for something I turn into a walking beet. Birthdays or other holidays where people give gifts make me want to disappear until its all over so I don't have to deal with even anyone saying my name in my presence, if any of this rambling on is anything at all to do with this topic even.

Maybe I should be a client of the person writing this article

WhatHazard
Raven
Raven

28 May 2014, 11:24 am

I take selfies sometimes but I don't show them off to people I just look at them then delete them, I have a habit of looking at myself sometimes because I don't feel real and I think the photos are me trying to prove my existence to myself but it never works out and I delete them all, I also do this with the mirror at my house but I never feel real, some days I feel just like flesh covered robot.

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 11:34 am

WhatHazard wrote:
I take selfies sometimes but I don't show them off to people I just look at them then delete them, I have a habit of looking at myself sometimes because I don't feel real and I think the photos are me trying to prove my existence to myself but it never works out and I delete them all, I also do this with the mirror at my house but I never feel real, some days I feel just like flesh covered robot.

You sound a bit like me. Whenever I see "myself" in the mirror I recognise the face but it isn't "me". It is just the body I currently inhabit. I am no more this body than I am the clothes it is wearing. It has been curious to see the face that looks back at me in the mirror age from being a boy to a young man to now a tired looking 53 year old bald man. :lol:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 11:44 am

Once I saw myself in a surveillance system where the TV shows the people walking by and I didn't recognize myself at first.I looked plum goofy.