Page 338 of 358 [ 5720 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 335, 336, 337, 338, 339, 340, 341 ... 358  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2021, 10:47 pm

^^^welcome to our club :)

TheThomas5252
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Apr 2021, 11:04 am

What is your first name? Thomas

Hobbies and Interests: Playing video games, watching shows and movies, drawing pictures, walking outside

Why are you here? To look for friends

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 2007

Favorite music: Video game music

Books: Pokémon manga

TV shows/Movies: SpongeBob SquarePants, The Simpsons, South Park, Thomas and Friends, Futurama

Do you like sports? Depends, some I like more than others

Family: Mom, Dad, Stepdad, Stepmom, Grandmom, Grandpa, 3 brothers, 1 sister (deceased)

Clothing: Shirt and shorts

How did you find this website? My mom recommended it to me

Job: None at the moment, but looking for one

Plans for the future? To find a compassionate friend, whether it be at college or work or wherever, who will always be there for me

Any comments? Cheez-Its are an amazing snack, that is all

JoviJo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Apr 2021, 12:56 pm

What is your first name? Jodie

Hobbies and Interests: Cats and photography

Why are you here? To connect with other autistic people

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): when I was 39 (so 4 years ago)

Favorite subjects: Coins and cats

Year/Grade:

Favorite music: Rock

Books: I quite like historical fiction

TV shows/Movies: Crime

Instrument: I prefer listening to them!

Do you like sports? Watching, yes. I like going to gym bit I guess that isn't sport eh

Family:

Clothing: Comfy, soft and not tight.

How did you find this website? Linked in a FB post

Job: I'm an Expert by Experiance for the Neurodevelopmental service. I help develop and deliver causes to autistic adults, based on my own personal experience

Plans for the future? I am rubbish at planning a future. I go with the flow and see where I end up!

Any comments? :heart:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2021, 11:45 pm

^^^welcome to our club, you seem to have the great benefit of being in your niche. :wtg:

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

07 Apr 2021, 4:36 am

Cheers to that (with coffee), welcome to the clubs ^^)

EclipticNonsense
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Apr 2021, 11:52 am

What is your first name? E

Hobbies and Interests: Reading, Writing and Drawing.

Why are you here? To meet others on the spectrum.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 11 April 2021 (just now! but I suspected for a while)

Favorite subjects: Science

Year/Grade: Graduate school

Favorite music: Almost everything except some rap and country. Anything really weird and sad.

Books: Sci-Fi and YA

TV shows/Movies: Sci-Fi and Marvel

Instrument: I would like to learn Piano but never make time for it. I like to sing badly.

Do you like sports? No

Family: Wife and 3 dogs.

Clothing: Whatever my wife dresses me in.

How did you find this website? A coworker on the spectrum recommended it.

Job: Engineering

Plans for the future? Finish and release two trilogies in the same universe.

Any comments? Hi.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Apr 2021, 3:14 pm

^^^welcome to our club, EN :nerdy:

ACuriousCreature
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Apr 2021, 8:40 am

What is your first name? Wouldnt you like to know? :mrgreen: you can just use my screen name

Hobbies and Interests:
running hiking camping... currently dipping my toes into free diving

Why are you here?
Wanted to put myself out there a bit and talk with new people

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 7 years old

Favorite subjects: science, math, and lunch

Year/Grade: College

Favorite music: rock, heavy metal but i listen to most types of music

Books: anything written by Dostoevsky, A roadside picnic, and the forgotten highlander

TV shows/Movies: Dr. Who, Heat, you were never really here, too many to list from too many different genres.

Instrument: Triangle! The instrument of choice for someone who has never played an instrument.

Do you like sports? Love them was on the track team and participated in most sports either training players or just participating

Family: ummm cousins nieces and nephews? Also my adoptive father

Clothing: I keep it simple jeans and a T Shirt or I'm in the woods wearing a bunch of old milsurp gear

How did you find this website? Recommended by an autism organization that dealt with me years ago

Job: IT/independent contractor

Plans for the future? Increase my savings do more things I love maybe snatch up a wife at some point.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2021, 12:47 am

^^^welcome and i wish you luck with the wife bit. :wtg:

Bluefall
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2021, 2:38 am

Hobbies and Interests: Dog training, paleontology, writing, drawing, music

Why are you here? To be able to communicate with other autistics

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Officially about a year and a half ago or so, but I was self diagnosed years before that

Favorite subjects: Algebra, music, writing, German

Year/Grade: Just starting college

Favorite music: Mostly soundtracks from musicals (top two right now being Hamilton and Hadestown), movies (I love John Powell's work), and some videogames. But lately it's mostly been Hamilton and John Powell.

Books: Fantasy, some favorites - The Inheritance Cycle, the Lunar Chronicles, The Last Olympian and Heroes of Olympus, and of course the usual fantasy standby: Harry Potter. I love rereading comforting, familiar books. Though for new books I'm currently reading Rise of Kyoshi and Underdogs. I can't quite seem to keep my attention on non-fiction, even when I'm interested in the subject, but some other 'favorites' that deserve to be on the list are some dog training books by some of my favorite instructors, I currently have the Training Levels, Awesome Obedience, Control Unleashed, and I'm excitedly awaiting a copy of Enjoying Agility that I nabbed off Amazon.

TV shows/Movies: Last Airbender I think might be the best tv show I've seen, The Office is my usual go-to comfort show, then there's also How I Met Your Mother and MASH. Movies are harder to say, the first things that come to mind are Into the Spiderverse, While You Were Sleeping, How to Train Your Dragon, Pink Panther (with Steve Martin), The Princess Bride, and I don't know. I know I'm forgetting some, but those were the first that popped into my head. I don't watch movies a ton as I find it difficult to stay in place and do one thing for such a long time, so I mostly watch tv shows and YouTube videos.

Instrument: Trumpet is absolutely my heart instrument; I adored playing it and I love hearing a good trumpet in music. I also love the piano - its versatility is unbeatable, in my opinion. I can't think of anything that can't be adapted to the piano and not sound good, if composed right. And it has such a beautiful sound.

Do you like sports? No, I've never liked team activities and the only solo sport I ever really participated in was a fencing class some years ago - that was fun, if not for scheduling and my health I'd love to do that again.

Family: I have an older brother

Clothing: Comfort is the most important thing, if it's not comfortable I will not wear it.

How did you find this website? By a Google search for an autism forum

Job: Student

Plans for the future? Right now I'm learning to live with a recently diagnosed chronic illness, so it's hard to make plans; I'm not sure what my abilities will be a year or even months from now. And then I'm not sure what I want to do, I think being a professor would be a great job - getting to talk about a special interest all day! - but I don't know if it's the best fit for me. I wanted to be a professional dog trainer for a long time, but not anymore - much as I love dog training, I want something regular and stable, and I don't want to own my own business. If I went into animal behavior, then perhaps as a zoo trainer or a researcher (I'm fascinated by studies in animal intelligence and communication).

Any comments? My favorite dinosaurs are archaeopteryx, microraptor...and I'm a little biased towards cockatiels as I live with one :wink: I also have three small dogs.

Gaffer Gragz
Toucan
Toucan

19 Apr 2021, 7:04 am

Bluefall wrote:

Hobbies and Interests: Dog training, paleontology, writing, drawing, music

Why are you here? To be able to communicate with other autistics

Plans for the future? Right now I'm learning to live with a recently diagnosed chronic illness, so it's hard to make plans; I'm not sure what my abilities will be a year or even months from now. And then I'm not sure what I want to do, I think being a professor would be a great job - getting to talk about a special interest all day! - but I don't know if it's the best fit for me. I wanted to be a professional dog trainer for a long time, but not anymore - much as I love dog training, I want something regular and stable, and I don't want to own my own business. If I went into animal behavior, then perhaps as a zoo trainer or a researcher (I'm fascinated by studies in animal intelligence and communication).

Any comments? My favorite dinosaurs are archaeopteryx, microraptor...and I'm a little biased towards cockatiels as I live with one :wink: I also have three small dogs.

Do you know if its settled around birds being a living dino? I'm also amazed by any hint on how nature works, my favourite tidbit is the simple but effective rules insects seem to follow. Like ants 'if anyone is trying to walk on your body grab hold of anything wirthin reach with all legs and keep holding until no one walks on top of you'. Its how ants make bridges etc with their bodies. Only a few neurons is needed to do this.

Edit:
Dont let any problem control your life more than necessary, go on do anything you want and can do, until you cant anymore. Then do the next thing you want to do.

Bluefall
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Apr 2021, 6:59 pm

Yes, in the paleontology community birds are the last of the dinosaurs. They're considered avian dinosaurs (so paleontologists usually say "when the non-avian dinosaurs went extinct" rather than just "the dinosaurs"). They're directly descended from the saurischian theropods. Archaeopteryx is my favorite because it's where the line really blurs, with debate as to whether it's the first bird or not.

And thanks! I'm trying to get better at focusing on what's going on today and how I can prepare for the future with my current resources instead of constantly worrying about what may or may not happen.

neilinmich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 Apr 2021, 11:47 am

What is your first name? Neil

Hobbies and Interests: Growing pot indoors (it's legal here). Play piano. I read a lot.

Why are you here? To learn how to live with Asperger's safely and alone.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Not diagnosed. I started in 2021
slowly coming to the conclusion that autism explains a lot of my problems during the last 60 years.

Favorite subjects: Physics, Quantum mechanics, neuroscience, anthropology

Year/Grade: I acquired a bachelor's degree in Music Education in 1976

Favorite music: George Gershwin

Least favorite music: Jazz, Opera, contemporary

Books: I like Steven Pinker (psychological anthropologist). I tried Roger Penrose "Fashion Faith and Fantasy in the new Physics of the Universe" but he was way too advanced for me. I really liked "Behave" by Sapolsky and "Sapiens" by Harari. "The Righteous Mind" by Haidt. "What is Life?" by Schrodinger. "The Vital Question" by Lane. "How Emotions Are Made" by Barrett.

TV shows/Movies: I like any movie where a city or the world is actually destroyed on screen.
Like "Independence Day"

Instrument: Piano by ear. ( I used to sing but no longer, too old)

Do you like sports? Absolutely not.

Family: 2 younger sisters more than 1000 miles away. No relatives within 500 miles. (Alone much?)

Clothing: Don't get me started. I'm odd about it. I wear the same pair of jeans and sweatshirt everyday. No fashion sense whatsoever.

How did you find this website? Google search on "Support for adult autism". What a disappointing search result. There's not much available for a 67 year old man in Michigan.

Job: Computer programmer in an ancient 1980's programming language. I think I'm one of 10 people in the world who codes in this language.

Plans for the future? Retire at age 70 (2.5 years from now). I want to learn how to be happy as an autistic adult.

Any comments? I've recently overcome a sugar addiction (I didn't know I had one). Lost 100 pounds on Atkins low carb. Lost another 35 pounds on Mediterranean diet. Now at normal healthy weight, no chronic diseases of old age (yet). Now autism is a new layer of this onion of life I have to deal with.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2021, 4:58 am

^^^great news about your weight loss and welcome to our club :alien: :alien: :alien:

Hypnotized
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2021, 10:19 pm

What is your first name? Jenna.

Hobbies and Interests: Languages, gaming, dancing, world history.

Why are you here? I just need a listening ear sometimes.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Iirc the first time was 2007.

Favorite subjects: In school? English, German.

Year/Grade: 2nd year University student.

Favorite music: Psytrance, EDM, metal, k-pop.

Books: I don't read a lot.

TV shows/Movies: Sherlock, South Park, Family Guy, Yu-Gi-Oh.

Instrument: Acoustic guitar, bass guitar.

Do you like sports? I like watching sports quite a bit. Especially F1.

Family: I live alone, but my mom & dad are separated, I have a younger brother, and an older sister who we lost in 2019 to cancer.

Clothing: Alternative. Not gothy but like... Gothy.

How did you find this website? I googled "autism forums" a few years ago.

Job: I work at a small gas station. It pays quite well actually.

Plans for the future? Visit South Korea when the time is right.

Any comments?

Skjald
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

25 Apr 2021, 12:07 pm

What is your first name?
Awesome!

Interests:
Biology, dogs, history, politics, philosophy, statistics, psychology, sociology, literature, metal music

Hobbies:
Writing, RPs, working with dogs, hiking, debating, listening to music

Why are you here?
To ideally make some friends who can relate to me and whom I can relate to or who simply share my interests.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):
2014 with Asperger’s Syndrom

Favorite subjects:
See interests.

Favorite music:
Primarily different subgenres of metal, especially pagan-/folk-/viking metal, black metal, melodic death metal, symphonic metal and power metal.
I also listen to quite some goth rock, industrial, EBM, NDH, aggrotech, dark wave, folk and classical music.

Books:
God and the State (Mikhail Bakunin); The Saxon Chronicles (Bernard Cornwell); Das Geschenkte Gesicht (Heinz G. Konsalik); Das Herz der 6. Armee (Heinz G. Konsalik); The Black Magician Triology (Trudi Canavan); Das Buch der gelöschten Wörter (Mary E. Garner); Qualityland (Mark-Uwe Kling); Die Känguru Chroniken (Mark-Uwe Kling); Lord Of The Rings (J.R.R. Tolkien)

and many others! I’m too lazy to further list books and writers.

TV shows/Movies:
Community; Parks and Recreation; Vikings; Star Trek Discovery; ALF; Labyrinth

Instrument:
No.

Do you like sports?
No.

Family:
I have parents, yes.

Clothing:
All black all the time. Utilitarian.

Plans for the future?
Yes, I have plans for the future.

Any comments?
Feel free to send me a PM if you are interested in talking.

“The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.”
- Mikhail Bakunin