Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 11:15 am

Some of the time I agree with them,but this is just offensive.
http://www.policymic.com/articles/90145 ... ad-science

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 11:22 am

That's been around for ages, but yeh, it's bad.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 11:33 am

That's PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) for you. :roll:
I don't even like milk and the only way I'll drink it is if it's chocolate milk. I've never have liked just plain milk. :eew:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:09 pm

Here's a science article reviewing number of studies on autism and milk

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/ar ... 6709001111

which overall shows a weak link at best

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 1:16 pm

Then we get to the point which Temple Grandin made about eye glasses with irlen lenses. This might only help 2 out of 20 children, but those two, it really helps.

And yet, if we did a study trying to show the 'overall' benefit to all 20 children, the results would probably be pretty marginal.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 2:11 pm

My wife, who has been signing the more sane petitions for PETA, has now sworn to ban them all together from our email. I concur, 150%.

chris5000
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 2:54 pm

peta has not been for the animals for years they are for the money
pretty much every animal they take in they kill in a big freezer they are also against people having pets of any kind and service animals of any kind

nerds
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2014, 4:00 pm

I have problems with peta over a report, I haven't verified it, that claims they run an animal shelter and simply just euthenizes the animals without giving them a chance for adoption.
Over the last year or so there have been studies that link gut bacteria to mental health. Probiotics are alleged to have an anti-anxiety effect which can help with anxiety based disorders. Carbs, I guess the finger is being pointed at sugar, promotes the growth of bad bacteria candida or something. Also interesting is that with carbs the body can produce ethanol during digestion.

Here, I'll go by the abstract someone posted and say that it looks like PETAs claim has already been debunked.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 10:15 pm

I think we should treat animals a damn sight better than we currently do. And so, whether we call it animal rights or animal welfare, I'm in favor of it.

Okay, it sounds like PETA, pretty much like any large bureaucratic organization, has made some mistakes. All I ask, let's try to give them a chance to recover from them.

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 8:58 am

PETA has been off on strange tangents for years, focused too much on how to get publicity. They are like the shock jocks of animal activism. I think much of their problem is their leadership.

Their shelters, as I understand it do not refuse any animal, but their standard procedure is to then euthanize them. I saw the stats for one of their shelters, and can't remember the exact figures but it was something like in one year they placed 5-10 dogs in adopted homes and euthanized 500.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 11:14 am

Could PETA please stick to throwing paint on people wearing fur coats ???

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 1:21 pm

AardvarkGoodSwimmer wrote:
I think we should treat animals a damn sight better than we currently do. And so, whether we call it animal rights or animal welfare, I'm in favor of it.

Okay, it sounds like PETA, pretty much like any large bureaucratic organization, has made some mistakes. All I ask, let's try to give them a chance to recover from them.

Some mistakes? They could at least do their research properly before coming out with "facts" like that.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 3:08 pm

They are wasting resources on this stupid s**t instead of trying to end factory farms,puppy mills,dog and rooster fighting,rattlesnake round ups,and the importation of endangered and exotic animals.
There was an article in one of my reptile magazines saying that if you had pet reptiles to never let anyone affiliated with PETA in your house.I agree that some animals should not be pets,but mine are captive raised, and mostly rescues.I certainly wouldn't leave one at a PETA shelter.
More on the subject.
http://mobile.rawstory.com/all/2014-05- ... nization#4

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 11:55 pm

"After the initial response, PETA decided to remove its more offensive language, namely referring to autism as a "disease" that is "marked by anti-social behavior like screaming and obsessive repetition of actions, which takes an enormous emotional toll on sufferers and their families." But it stands by its original stance."

eugh. the only person i'd scream at voluntarily is the person that came up with this s**t definition.

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 8:55 am

What's next, someone posting something along the lines of "If you download movies, you're supporting that horrible anti-social disease called Autism." Give me a break. PETA is desperate for attention and everyone knows it. I hadn't even heard of anything they were doing in a while until this came up.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 12:25 pm

Let's suppose in five years we have Spectrum Network and Advocacy organizations. Especially if we have an office . .

We will face pressure to fundraise . . . because not having enough money is felt in the pit of our stomach to be a disaster.

So, one approach, let's delay having an office. A lot of work can be done by email and computer at home or wherever we happen to be. We could have meetings at a friendly coffee shop and pay them for meeting space. That's far cheaper than having a full-time office.

And what can we do? We can meet several times a month for social events, we can start to compile recommendations for Spectrum-friendly tutors, counselors, lawyers, even accountants if need be. We can send delegations to politely challenge human resource departments on hiring practices. And a number of other positive activities as well.