Page 1 of 3 [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 12:25 pm

Let's suppose in five years we have Spectrum Network and Advocacy organizations. Especially if we have an office . .

We will face pressure to fundraise . . . because not having enough money is felt in the pit of our stomach to be a disaster.

So, one approach, let's delay having an office. A lot of work can be done by email and computer at home or wherever we happen to be. We could have meetings at a friendly coffee shop and pay them for meeting space. That's far cheaper than having a full-time office.

And what can we do? We can meet several times a month for social events, we can start to compile recommendations for Spectrum-friendly tutors, counselors, lawyers, even accountants if need be. We can send delegations to politely challenge human resource departments on hiring practices. And a number of other positive activities as well.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 12:34 pm

Ethics Into Action: Henry Spira and the Animal Rights Movement by Peter Singer, around 2000 (?)

I think this is an excellent book, on both animal rights and activism in general.

Quote:
http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/b ... 86.article

' . . In Singer's estimation, Spira's "unique campaigning methods have done more to reduce animal suffering than anything done in the previous 50 years by vastly larger organ-isations with millions of dollars at their disposal". . '

Last edited by AardvarkGoodSwimmer on 31 May 2014, 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 3:52 pm

I agree with PETA on factory farms,but they need to stop the autism scare tactics.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdMffjLX5T8[/youtube]

wowiexist
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 6:41 pm

I have been drinking a lot more milk lately to help me gain weight and my autism certainly has not gotten worse.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 8:07 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I agree with PETA on factory farms,but they need to stop the autism scare tactics.[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdMffjLX5T8[/youtube]

But what about vegetable rights? Are they too not alive? VEGETABLE RIGHTS! VEGETABLE RIGHTS!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 8:55 pm

Ssssh,the cabbage will here you and it will go to its head.The corn will stalk me,and don't even think of what the squash will do.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 10:10 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Ssssh,the cabbage will here you and it will go to its head.The corn will stalk me,and don't even think of what the squash will do.

:lol:

Sylkat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 12:23 pm

Excellent, MissLizard.

Ghostgirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jun 2014, 12:46 pm

seeing this only makes me want to go eat baby veal

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 8:34 pm

I'm going to have a tall glass of milk, now.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jun 2014, 10:15 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I would never ever have suspected Kraichgauer or Misslizard of marrow-mindedness...

I support the rights of animals and of nature too, but making unsupported claims just to gain attention and offend people isn't the right way. We as the AS community are for the most part animal and nature lovers too, so why would they want to alienate potential supporters?

:scratch:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 10:53 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I would never ever have suspected Kraichgauer or Misslizard of marrow-mindedness...

I support the rights of animals and of nature too, but making unsupported claims just to gain attention and offend people isn't the right way. We as the AS community are for the most part animal and nature lovers too, so why would they want to alienate potential supporters?

:scratch:

I would hardly call Misslizard or myself narrow minded, but are just having a little fun. I whole heartedly agree, food animals are treated abysmally, and great care for their welfare should be taken. But the fact remains, few humans today - or ever - have wholly been vegetarians, and that being the fact, it's dishonest for PETA to try to use misinformation to get us to change our historic diets. Remember, the woman who coined the phrase "Wrong Planet," Temple Grandin, herself designs more humane holding cages for food animals - but never once has she denied that domesticated animals should provide meat for humans.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 11:23 am

I think he was joking,there is a marrow squash.We'd better be quiet,the corn will have ears soon....

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jun 2014, 11:32 am

Misslizard, yep, I was just joking - I thought a marrow was better known in the US? I tend to forget different countries have different names for things which we may take for granted. I would never call you or Bill narrow minded, just the opposite in fact!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 11:35 am

The name is not that common here,I've seen it in seed catalogs.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 11:35 am

envirozentinel wrote:
Misslizard, yep, I was just joking - I thought a marrow was better known in the US? I tend to forget different countries have different names for things which we may take for granted. I would never call you or Bill narrow minded, just the opposite in fact!

I'm sorry - as an Aspie, it's sometimes difficult for me to understand when someone is serious, and when someone is joking. :oops: