Page 1 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2014, 5:56 pm

Can someone please explain the fascination that people seem to have with them right now? It seems like people go crazy whenever they're posted by celebrities or what not and Facebook is selfie central. Am I odd for thinking this craze is weird?

qawer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 6:02 pm

They want attention, they want the world to think they are center of the essential social atmosphere. It is all about promoting themselves and gaining social status.

They do this because they want peer/group/social acceptance. That means everything to them.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2014, 6:04 pm

qawer wrote:
They want attention, they want the world to think they are center of the essential social atmosphere. It is all about promoting themselves and gaining social status.

They do this because they want peer/group/social acceptance. That means everything to them.

Isn't there a sense of irony then that most of them are done when the person is alone?

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 6:13 pm

perpetual_padawan wrote:
qawer wrote:

Isn't there a sense of irony then that most of them are done when the person is alone?

Exactly. It's ironic and I doubt many of them even realize that.

I thought the point of Facebook was that people who post pictures of other people could tag those people in their photos, not that people just constantly post photos of themselves. But I find the whole concept of Facebook to be bizarre either way.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 7:10 pm

i like selfies on a forum like this because it's nice to put a real face to a name. i've posted a few selfie avatars or profile pictures for few days just so regulars who know me can know me as me, rather then the cartoon or whatever i usually have as an avatar. most everybody is guilty of wanting recognition online when they post here or twitter or fb or whatever. so when someone posts something like "he's just looking to get noticed" i think and so are you and so am I. I like being recognized here and my other forums. I like the status/reputation I have achieved which is way beyond what an very withdrawn basically nonverbal autistic kid can get in real life. this is another one of these things that is not exclusively an NT thing. On one of my teen forums one of the most stand out selfie posting members has classic autism.

Last edited by EzraS on 29 May 2014, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2014, 7:18 pm

EzraS wrote:
i like selfies on a forum like this because it's nice to put a real face to a name. i've posted a few selfie avatars or profile pictures for few days just so regulars who know me can know me as me, rather then the cartoon or whatever i usually have as an avatar. most everybody is guilty of wanting recognition online when they post here or twitter or fb or whatever. so when someone posts something like "he's just looking to get noticed" i think and so are you and so am I.

A random selfie is one thing. It seems like some people are taking a bazillion of them every day. Everyone needs to feel recognized, but I feel there's a fine line distinguishing a basic needs and rampant self-adulation.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 7:26 pm

perpetual_padawan wrote:
A random selfie is one thing. It seems like some people are taking a bazillion of them every day. Everyone needs to feel recognized, but I feel there's a fine line distinguishing a basic needs and rampant self-adulation.

i guess maybe it depends on if they are glamor type photos. the two people i know of who post the most selfies on one of my forums, don't post ones that are at all flattering. the one autistic kid who posts a lot of them considers himself unattractive and obese. there's one member here who has posted a lot, i think mostly to show off a new cap or jersey he just got. i've posted a few to show what a shrimp i am. so idk, those are the only ones i'm familiar with

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2014, 7:34 pm

i agree with EzraS. this isn't something that just NTs do. and it's not a new phenomenon either. sure it can be annoying if someone only constantly posts pictures of themselves, but just avoid those peoples posts i would suggest. i don't think it's morally wrong for people to take a lot of selfies, some people like taking pictures of themselves and some do not (i personally do not).

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 7:40 pm

my grandpa says in the old days people would give you their photo albums to look through or have slid show parties.... "this is me on Hollywood blvd, this is me with Micky Mouse, this is me eating a cheese burger, this is me...."

perpetual_padawan
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2014, 7:54 pm

unit_00 wrote:
i agree with EzraS. this isn't something that just NTs do. and it's not a new phenomenon either. sure it can be annoying if someone only constantly posts pictures of themselves, but just avoid those peoples posts i would suggest. i don't think it's morally wrong for people to take a lot of selfies, some people like taking pictures of themselves and some do not (i personally do not).

I never said it was. I just don't get it, so I wanted some insight. Maybe it's because I really don't like being in photos.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 7:59 pm

No one suggested or even hinted that it's an NT thing, until you brought it up Ezra.

unit_00
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2014, 7:59 pm

perpetual_padawan wrote:
unit_00 wrote:

I never said it was. I just don't get it, so I wanted some insight. Maybe it's because I really don't like being in photos.

i was just putting that out there, as i've seen it in a lot of arguments 'against' selfies. maybe they do it because they like how they look and want other people to praise them/give them attention. or to show off their cool clothes or something. that's the only reasons i can only think of.

jenisautistic
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 8:18 pm

Out of pure boredom , or an obsession with themselves.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 8:59 pm

I've always thought taking a picture of yourself, and having a party for yourself, are both ridiculous.

Selfies are a fad, just like Tebowing was a fad. A couple of years from now, people will tire of selfies.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 9:19 pm

Never heard of Tebowing, had to look it up (I did guess it had something to do with religion though).

I don't think selfies fad will fade, people like themselves too much. They'll just come up with different ways to do it.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2014, 9:25 pm

Tebowing is a praying posture, presented primarily through "selifies" on YouTube, which was a craze a couple of years ago.

Tim Tebow was a quarterback for a couple of teams in the National Football League. He is also an evangelical Christian who seeks to "spread" his faith.

It got to the point where many thousands of people, including celebrities, had pictures taken of themselves "Tebowing." These photos were then uploaded onto YouTube or other photo-sharing sites.