Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Geekonychus
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2014, 2:08 pm

Dione wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
Science can't disprove the existence of a God any more than religion can prove it. Human's are insanely fallible and no very little (next to zilch) about the universe.

In the end, Agnostics like myself are the only ones who seem to understand that.

You might want to read Dawkins' The God Delusion; in it, he mentions a scale where a one is the indisputable belief in a god and a ten is the indisputable belief in no god. Dawkins himself describes himself as a nine, and I think you would be surprised at how many atheists say they know there is a chance that a god could exist; I count myself in that demographic.

The universe is so vast and infinite that there's pretty much a statistical certainty that something we might consider a god or deity exists or has existed before. That being said, unlikely that these beings in any way resemble anything in the bible.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

04 Jun 2014, 2:54 pm

Geekonychus wrote:

The universe is so vast and infinite that there's pretty much a statistical certainty that something we might consider a god or deity exists or has existed before. That being said, unlikely that these beings in any way resemble anything in the bible.

If you mean "any sufficiently advanced technology...", then alright. Otherwise, no.

Our universe obeys laws. These laws disallow omniscience, and of course omnipotence. In fact, any "material god" would be so far removed from theological gods that there's little reason to call it God. Philosophically speaking, the god of Boethius is probably the most legitimate.

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2014, 4:33 pm

tern wrote:
This was Noah for British kids in the seventies. :lol: Check out those animals, how did they go to the loo? :?: :oops:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkN2_NYuRgg[/youtube]

Nutty Noah and Niggly Nellie come to Wrong Planet? ****ing awesome! :D

All aboard Skylark!
(I think I may be a little drunk)

iBlockhead
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Jun 2014, 5:27 pm

In the Philadelphia area they had Captain Noah and His Magical Ark:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktLERDfY8E&index=2&list=PL-P9ndK7ZJadZVcTOgc5GSlHWtU6OtUYi[/youtube]

Quote:
Celebrity guests on the show included Elvis Presley, Charles Barkley, Jon Stewart, Jim Henson, Martina Navratilova and Frank Perdue. The Phillie Phanatic, mascot of the Philadelphia Phillies, debuted to the public on the show in 1978.

I cannot find the Jon Stewart clip though.

Dione
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jun 2014, 8:22 pm

Geekonychus wrote:
Dione wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:
Science can't disprove the existence of a God any more than religion can prove it. Human's are insanely fallible and no very little (next to zilch) about the universe.

In the end, Agnostics like myself are the only ones who seem to understand that.

You might want to read Dawkins' The God Delusion; in it, he mentions a scale where a one is the indisputable belief in a god and a ten is the indisputable belief in no god. Dawkins himself describes himself as a nine, and I think you would be surprised at how many atheists say they know there is a chance that a god could exist; I count myself in that demographic.

That's something we can both agree on. If we do find evidence of a deity, my money's on an impersonal creator who walked away after creating the universe, as deists such as my father believe.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 4:39 am

If every fairytale in the bible gets debunked would the bible stil be true? Noahs Ark never happened and neither did Adam and Eve, neither did Jonah and the Whale or the Tower of Babel and neither did David and Goliath exist!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 16 Jun 2014, 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonofghandi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2014, 10:47 am

The_Walrus wrote:
Geekonychus wrote:

If you mean "any sufficiently advanced technology...", then alright. Otherwise, no.

Our universe obeys laws. These laws disallow omniscience, and of course omnipotence. In fact, any "material god" would be so far removed from theological gods that there's little reason to call it God. Philosophically speaking, the god of Boethius is probably the most legitimate.

^This