Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 3:50 am

The_Walrus wrote:
sly279 wrote:
I don't like Bill Nye, now adays. you don't believe in god others do and are happy in their beliefs, how about you just leave people alone to be happy. not everyone has to believe and think as he does.

If one does not want their beliefs challenged, they need not seek out the opinions of scientists. Mr Nye has said in the past that he does not mind people being uninformed.

However, he does mind that uninformed indoctrinating their children, because that stops them from being able to usefully contribute to the fields in question. Hence why he has taken to challenge attempts to ban the teaching of evolution in schools, or allow the teaching of creationism in science lessons.

I didn't seek out his opinion, I've watched tons and tons of science that doesn't bash religion.
It's their childern, not his, so he has no rights. It is their belief system, if they want their kids to know it then they should, their kids can decide for themselves whether they believe it or not. I have been told both things, I'm not stupid when it comes to science. I believe in god. Creation science is a mix of both. when the flood part was written in the bible you have to take account in how big they thought the world was. how big we thought the world was changed throughout our history. Im not here to argue besides the let people think and believe what they want. we as human's have that right.

would you all like it if it was the other way around. we Christians were the ones in power, telling you all you're wrong and indoctrinating your kids in false ideals of science. I bet not. There is stuff scientist believe that they can't prove. how is that different then region.

AspieOtaku wrote:
sly279 wrote:
I don't like Bill Nye, now adays. you don't believe in god others do and are happy in their beliefs, how about you just leave people alone to be happy. not everyone has to believe and think as he does.
Sometimes somebody has to tell the kids there is no santa clause or the monster in the closet as well!

can you disprove god? no, can you prove the big bang, no. yet you will say the latter is real and god isn't.
also who's decision is it to tell the kids santa isn't real? not bill nye, the parents decide that. This is a war on Christians, its not any different then any war on people you disagree with, be it gender wars, race war, progun antigun,
Why can't we just leave each other alone. you believe A, I believe B , that's fine, I don't want you to believe B, nor will I push you to believe it or attack you for it. you all already got your way, you're ideals are taught in school and only your ideals, so if kids learn all that stuff and still decide to think other wise, then leave them be for peeks sake.

Science use to be an accepting ever changing thing, we use to be able to challenge stuff, not its not ok to do so and science must attack any who think differently. Christianity saved science back in the black ages, there's no reason the two can co exist.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 10:37 am

sly279 wrote:
would you all like it if it was the other way around. we Christians were the ones in power,

Uhhhh....

sly279 wrote:
can you disprove god? no, can you prove the big bang, no. yet you will say the latter is real and god isn't.

There is a large amount of empirical evidence supporting the latter. As for God, the burden of proof is on you.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 10:44 am

sly279 wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:
sly279 wrote:

If one does not want their beliefs challenged, they need not seek out the opinions of scientists. Mr Nye has said in the past that he does not mind people being uninformed.

However, he does mind that uninformed indoctrinating their children, because that stops them from being able to usefully contribute to the fields in question. Hence why he has taken to challenge attempts to ban the teaching of evolution in schools, or allow the teaching of creationism in science lessons.

I didn't seek out his opinion, I've watched tons and tons of science that doesn't bash religion.
It's their childern, not his, so he has no rights. It is their belief system, if they want their kids to know it then they should, their kids can decide for themselves whether they believe it or not. I have been told both things, I'm not stupid when it comes to science. I believe in god. Creation science is a mix of both. when the flood part was written in the bible you have to take account in how big they thought the world was. how big we thought the world was changed throughout our history. Im not here to argue besides the let people think and believe what they want. we as human's have that right.

would you all like it if it was the other way around. we Christians were the ones in power, telling you all you're wrong and indoctrinating your kids in false ideals of science. I bet not. There is stuff scientist believe that they can't prove. how is that different then region.

AspieOtaku wrote:
sly279 wrote:
Sometimes somebody has to tell the kids there is no santa clause or the monster in the closet as well!

also who's decision is it to tell the kids santa isn't real? not bill nye, the parents decide that. This is a war on Christians, its not any different then any war on people you disagree with, be it gender wars, race war, progun antigun,
Why can't we just leave each other alone. you believe A, I believe B , that's fine, I don't want you to believe B, nor will I push you to believe it or attack you for it. you all already got your way, you're ideals are taught in school and only your ideals, so if kids learn all that stuff and still decide to think other wise, then leave them be for peeks sake.

Science use to be an accepting ever changing thing, we use to be able to challenge stuff, not its not ok to do so and science must attack any who think differently. Christianity saved science back in the black ages, there's no reason the two can co exist.
http://godisimaginary.com/ :wink: http://gizmodo.com/astronomers-discover ... 1545525927

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Last edited by AspieOtaku on 31 May 2014, 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 11:12 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
GiantHockeyFan wrote:
This is one reason why I got so turned off by Atheism. How many times did I hear something along the lines of "since the Universe is greater than 6,000 years old and there was no Ark, that proves means life is meaningless and there is no God." I know plenty of religious people and have never met one that take the Old Testament tales like Noah's Ark literally.

I'm not religious, but I know there are is more to it than Fundamentalist Christian vs Hardcore Atheist.

I agree that debunking Biblical Literalism is not the same thing as bebunking religion.

But you would be amazed.

In highschool I thought that young earth creationism had died out with Scopes Monkey trial in the Twenties. But in college I saw a flyer for lecture on "why dinosaurs are not as plentiful as they once were" and thinking it was a joke I attended. It was a lecture by Raymond Gish-the famous modern champion of YEC of the Seventies. Also in college I encountered other students caught up in the modern resurgence of YEC. One guy got excited told me about how "the strata of fossils can be explained by the Biblical Flood". And then he went on to explain how "the big animals would sink lower in the mud deposited by the flood, and the small animals would be deposited higher- and thats why the dinosaurs are below humans in the rock strata"- illogic wrapped in illogic. But thats what turned him on.

Yep- YECs are definitely out there. And some of them can be OUT THERE!

I commented on this matter before, but I'll chime again with, how is it that small creatures like trilobites had ended up at an even lower level than dinosaurs?
Trilobites have been around before dinosaurs which is why they are found at a lower level than the dinosaurs.

I know that, you know that, but fundies refuse to accept that.

Fundies know that the evolushin scientists say that. So they had to come up with a counter explanation.

As the above person said more than once: trilobites are smaller than dinosaurs, but are found lower (ie earlier) in the strate than dinosaurs. And thats only beginning of the many problems with that explanation for geologic strata. In the days of dinosaurs there seems to have been a fully appointed ecosystem (like we have today) with small, and middle sized critters, living alongside the big ones (just like we have insects, rodents, and middle size gazelle, living alongside elephants today). And we find these critters fossilized in the same strata as the giant dinos. So how come the small and middlesized mesosoic contemporaries of the dinosaurs didn't get sifted out away from the dinosaurs? And why didnt it work the OTHER way? "Big animals" have more surface area -so they might get buoyed up, instead of wieghed down.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 1:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
AspieOtaku wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
GiantHockeyFan wrote:
This is one reason why I got so turned off by Atheism. How many times did I hear something along the lines of "since the Universe is greater than 6,000 years old and there was no Ark, that proves means life is meaningless and there is no God." I know plenty of religious people and have never met one that take the Old Testament tales like Noah's Ark literally.

I'm not religious, but I know there are is more to it than Fundamentalist Christian vs Hardcore Atheist.

I agree that debunking Biblical Literalism is not the same thing as bebunking religion.

But you would be amazed.

In highschool I thought that young earth creationism had died out with Scopes Monkey trial in the Twenties. But in college I saw a flyer for lecture on "why dinosaurs are not as plentiful as they once were" and thinking it was a joke I attended. It was a lecture by Raymond Gish-the famous modern champion of YEC of the Seventies. Also in college I encountered other students caught up in the modern resurgence of YEC. One guy got excited told me about how "the strata of fossils can be explained by the Biblical Flood". And then he went on to explain how "the big animals would sink lower in the mud deposited by the flood, and the small animals would be deposited higher- and thats why the dinosaurs are below humans in the rock strata"- illogic wrapped in illogic. But thats what turned him on.

Yep- YECs are definitely out there. And some of them can be OUT THERE!

I commented on this matter before, but I'll chime again with, how is it that small creatures like trilobites had ended up at an even lower level than dinosaurs?
Trilobites have been around before dinosaurs which is why they are found at a lower level than the dinosaurs.

I know that, you know that, but fundies refuse to accept that.

Fundies know that the evolushin scientists say that. So they had to come up with a counter explanation.

As the above person said more than once: trilobites are smaller than dinosaurs, but are found lower (ie earlier) in the strate than dinosaurs. And thats only beginning of the many problems with that explanation for geologic strata. In the days of dinosaurs there seems to have been a fully appointed ecosystem (like we have today) with small, and middle sized critters, living alongside the big ones (just like we have insects, rodents, and middle size gazelle, living alongside elephants today). And we find these critters fossilized in the same strata as the giant dinos. So how come the small and middlesized mesosoic contemporaries of the dinosaurs didn't get sifted out away from the dinosaurs? And why didnt it work the OTHER way? "Big animals" have more surface area -so they might get buoyed up, instead of wieghed down.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOKAY. :lol:

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 2:27 pm

TheGoggles wrote:
sly279 wrote:
would you all like it if it was the other way around. we Christians were the ones in power,

Uhhhh....

sly279 wrote:

There is a large amount of empirical evidence supporting the latter. As for God, the burden of proof is on you.

being as I'm not on trial nor i god, the burden of proof isn't on me, I am not seeing to make you believe in god, there for i don't have to prove anything to you.

Christians were in power but that is changing, the military and gov is attacking and slowly chipping away at our regligious freedom.

most of us will not become atheist so like it or not think your right or not that won't change unless the atheist plan to kill us all.

maybe we Christians should just start flooding this forum section with bible stuff and Christian videos ,

the way I see it this threads aren't just trying to share stuff with other people who think the same, its hey you dumb god believers you're wrong and I don't like you so here's proof you're dumb lol.

I don't believe in hating on people different then me or pushing my ideas on those who have different ones. I have not once tried to push anyone to believe in god, yet constantly find myself attacked and pushed to follow science and throw off my beliefs .

If we were in medieval times it is undoubtable that his would have turned into a bloody war by now, thankful we live in more civilized times.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 2:30 pm

^^^
The government and military are chipping away at Christian freedom? How so? By saying a business that provides services to the public can't discriminate against gays or anyone else? Or by saying that gay soldiers have the same right to serve as their straight counterparts?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 2:44 pm

@sly279 This is the debate forum for philosophy, politics and religion - so people are going to analyse, dissect and critique those things.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 2:50 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
^^^
The government and military are chipping away at Christian freedom? How so? By saying a business that provides services to the public can't discriminate against gays or anyone else? Or by saying that gay soldiers have the same right to serve as their straight counterparts?

by labeling a lot of christian groups and churches as extremist. one can't be an open christian anymore.
so does a Jewish or Muslim restaurant have to serve pork now? or is that still protected.
the 1st amendment protects religious freedom yes, this is why mormans and the armish don't have to go see doctors, so then if a religion says that it is wrong to be gay, then isn't it right for a business to say that to serve those people is against my religion.

pro gay business's have refused to serve Christians and the media pretrays them as heroes, but how is that any different then a christian store refusing to bake a cake for a wedding that is against their religion.
I disagree with both , but it seems it is within their protected first amendment right.

as for gays in the military , I have no problem same with women severing in combat, however the trend is currently that Christians are now getting the same treatment that the gays were. you have to hide you're beliefs or fear being kicked out.

you can't protect one groups rights while not protecting another. if it is ok for a gay to say i won't server you cause you're christian, then it should be ok for a christian to say i won't serve you cause you're gay. either that or both should be treated as bad.

The way I see it everyone should leave everyone alone. everyone should be treated the same, regardless of beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, race, age, disabled or not, etc.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 2:52 pm

sly279 wrote:
TheGoggles wrote:
sly279 wrote:

Uhhhh....

sly279 wrote:

being as I'm not on trial nor i god, the burden of proof isn't on me, I am not seeing to make you believe in god, there for i don't have to prove anything to you.

Christians were in power but that is changing, the military and gov is attacking and slowly chipping away at our regligious freedom.

most of us will not become atheist so like it or not think your right or not that won't change unless the atheist plan to kill us all.

maybe we Christians should just start flooding this forum section with bible stuff and Christian videos ,

the way I see it this threads aren't just trying to share stuff with other people who think the same, its hey you dumb god believers you're wrong and I don't like you so here's proof you're dumb lol.

I don't believe in hating on people different then me or pushing my ideas on those who have different ones. I have not once tried to push anyone to believe in god, yet constantly find myself attacked and pushed to follow science and throw off my beliefs .

If we were in medieval times it is undoubtable that his would have turned into a bloody war by now, thankful we live in more civilized times.

For one thing Christians ARE in power. The USA is a christian nation run by politicians claiming to be christians who are elected by the voters (60 percent of whom are churchgoers). Unless you're using the word "Christian" in the recent American sense of meaning "just protestant evangelicals ( which excludes many Protestants, and all Catholics, and all Eastern Orthodox from the rubric of 'Christian')".

So I dont know what this "what if" stuff is about.

Second: again its not religion verses science. The issue is the subset of religous belief known as "Fundamentalism", or "YEC". You (on one hand) and certain militant atheists here (on the other) are both forcing poor old Bill Nye to be a pawn in the war between atheism and religion. What Nye is doing is to point out that when Fundies try to play the game of doing science they make themselves look foolish.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 2:55 pm

TallyMan wrote:
@sly279 This is the debate forum for philosophy, politics and religion - so people are going to analyse, dissect and critique those things.

which is fine, but I dislike the attitude. he destroys the arch,
what about he debates it's existence, or he disproves it, then theres all the threads titled as attacks on people of certian beliefs. I mostly try to avoid any thread with christian in the title cause most have just been attacks on it. I don't veiw debate as attacks, i always saw them as this is what i believe and why , what do you, these seem more like arguements and fights. i'm right, you're wrong

I'll go back to avoiding them and add bill nye to it, I was lured in here cause I loved him growing up and his show. but he is a different man now.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 5:35 pm

I'm atheist and I love science, but religion bashing is so boring. I know it's not technically a religion, but if I had to choose between listening to Jerry Falwell or Richard Dawkins, I'd run away before I'd listen to either (unless you could get Dawkins to return to his fine former science-guy personality, in which case I'd pay to hear him). It's all too religiony and it just goes nowhere.

If you are going to quote studies like this: http://gizmodo.com/astronomers-discover ... 1545525927,
you should at least be aware that it's already being discredited.

And that's why people shouldn't act like science is the be all and end all of everything. It's a thing of beauty, but it is ALWAYS a work in progress.

TheGoggles
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 6:19 pm

sly279 wrote:
by labeling a lot of christian groups and churches as extremist. one can't be an open christian anymore.
so does a Jewish or Muslim restaurant have to serve pork now? or is that still protected.
the 1st amendment protects religious freedom yes, this is why mormans and the armish don't have to go see doctors, so then if a religion says that it is wrong to be gay, then isn't it right for a business to say that to serve those people is against my religion.

pro gay business's have refused to serve Christians and the media pretrays them as heroes, but how is that any different then a christian store refusing to bake a cake for a wedding that is against their religion.
I disagree with both , but it seems it is within their protected first amendment right.

as for gays in the military , I have no problem same with women severing in combat, however the trend is currently that Christians are now getting the same treatment that the gays were. you have to hide you're beliefs or fear being kicked out.

Everything here is the exact opposite of true.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 7:43 pm

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
This is one reason why I got so turned off by Atheism. How many times did I hear something along the lines of "since the Universe is greater than 6,000 years old and there was no Ark, that proves means life is meaningless and there is no God."

I never met an atheist who said life is meaningless. Just because human life is not eternal should not make it meaningless, if someone thinks this then they really need to look into the improbability of their existence and rejoice that they are alive. In the light of this improbability I find the need for eternal spiritual life to give this mundane life meaning just a little sad.

With regard to the age of the universe and the lack of flood evidence, this does not disprove God, it disproves Genesis. God can never be disproved but can be shown to be increasingly improbable.

I watched nearly all of the debate and had to turn off during the question and answer session. The question to Ken Ham was what would make you change your mind, his answer (paraphrased) "nothing, because the word of GOd is inerrant and we cannot see into the past only make assumptions about it, any assumptions which go against the bible are therefore wrong" This was simply too much for me and I could watch no more of his drivel, but it demonstrated how locked the mind of a creationist is. BIll Nye on the other hand gave a series of discoveries which would change not only his but the whole of the scientific communities understanding of events.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 7:59 pm

sly279 wrote:

It's their childern, not his, so he has no rights. It is their belief system, if they want their kids to know it then they should, their kids can decide for themselves whether they believe it or not.
Ok so you think its ok to lie, and indoctrinate, to keep the kids ignorant of the facts, to have them in fear of damnation if they search for knowledge. How far do you take parents rights? bash them and lock them up for being homosexual, after all they belong to the parents! Maybe they can keep them home from school and make them work all day after, all they belong to the parents. Hey my little girl, you are developing nicely, come and sit on daddies knee now put your hand ther..... after all they belong to the parents.

As a society we have a duty of care to the young, old, ill and infirm, those less fortunate etc. Schools, so called museums, churches and parents indoctrinating kids with lies, scientific deceit and fear is nothing short of abuse.

sly279 wrote:
would you all like it if it was the other way around. we Christians were the ones in power, telling you all you're wrong and indoctrinating your kids in false ideals of science.

well for starters it does happen and unfortunately you are somewhat in power, for example under G.W.Bush only faith based charities received any government funding and here in AUstralia schools will no longer get funding for secular counsellors the funding instead going to religious chaplaincy programs. But more to the point your analogy is false. You are ascribing both sets of views with a 50/50 probability. The fact is the probability that YECS are correct is almost nil. So the system you are asking me to think of would be a dictatorship based upon lies and fear. I would have no problem with creation and intelligent design being taught in comparative religion or philosophy but I will never accept it as a legitimate science subject to be taught as a scientific alternative to evolution and, geology and astrology. To teach ID and creation asa science goes against the principles of education.

With regard to flooding this forum with christian teachings, please be my guest. I have been trying to start a debate regarding the New Testament and the historical Jesus for ages.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 12:14 am

I dont hate christians there are some that i get along with and are friends of mine its the ones who get on my nerves are the literalists and the ones that try and shove their beliefs down my throat. The ones who go psycho whenever evolution is mentioned or whenever the actual date on how old the earth and the universe really is! I mean Kraichgaur might not have the same beliefs as mine but he doesnt seem instantly bothered by my posts or me by his and the fact he agrees with me on some posts when it comes to the literalists!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList