Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2014, 7:59 pm

sly279 wrote:

It's their childern, not his, so he has no rights. It is their belief system, if they want their kids to know it then they should, their kids can decide for themselves whether they believe it or not.
Ok so you think its ok to lie, and indoctrinate, to keep the kids ignorant of the facts, to have them in fear of damnation if they search for knowledge. How far do you take parents rights? bash them and lock them up for being homosexual, after all they belong to the parents! Maybe they can keep them home from school and make them work all day after, all they belong to the parents. Hey my little girl, you are developing nicely, come and sit on daddies knee now put your hand ther..... after all they belong to the parents.

As a society we have a duty of care to the young, old, ill and infirm, those less fortunate etc. Schools, so called museums, churches and parents indoctrinating kids with lies, scientific deceit and fear is nothing short of abuse.

sly279 wrote:
would you all like it if it was the other way around. we Christians were the ones in power, telling you all you're wrong and indoctrinating your kids in false ideals of science.

well for starters it does happen and unfortunately you are somewhat in power, for example under G.W.Bush only faith based charities received any government funding and here in AUstralia schools will no longer get funding for secular counsellors the funding instead going to religious chaplaincy programs. But more to the point your analogy is false. You are ascribing both sets of views with a 50/50 probability. The fact is the probability that YECS are correct is almost nil. So the system you are asking me to think of would be a dictatorship based upon lies and fear. I would have no problem with creation and intelligent design being taught in comparative religion or philosophy but I will never accept it as a legitimate science subject to be taught as a scientific alternative to evolution and, geology and astrology. To teach ID and creation asa science goes against the principles of education.

With regard to flooding this forum with christian teachings, please be my guest. I have been trying to start a debate regarding the New Testament and the historical Jesus for ages.

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 12:14 am

I dont hate christians there are some that i get along with and are friends of mine its the ones who get on my nerves are the literalists and the ones that try and shove their beliefs down my throat. The ones who go psycho whenever evolution is mentioned or whenever the actual date on how old the earth and the universe really is! I mean Kraichgaur might not have the same beliefs as mine but he doesnt seem instantly bothered by my posts or me by his and the fact he agrees with me on some posts when it comes to the literalists!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 1:00 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35_JHx_OzA4[/youtube]

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

TheHermit
Raven
Raven

01 Jun 2014, 8:19 pm

Bill Nye destroyed a mytholigical symbol which Ken Ham doesn't understand? Sounds like lose-lose to me.

The birth of a new person after 40 weeks of gestation is elevated in the bible to represent all of humanity entering a new state of being and a new age after the 40 days and nights of flooding where the seeds for the new humanity wait in an embryonic state, floating in birth waters, within the womb/ark. And the idea that mankind somehow incorporates or contains all the animals which are believed to have come before him can be summed up in the old theory that "ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny," or the more modern idea of our genes coming from common ancestors of animals alive today.

What this has to do with the state religion designed by the Roman empire to end 300 years of civil war, religious thinking at large, or the popularizing of secular thinking, I do not know. A totally unreligious person can still understand the symbolism of the ark, and as we can see in Ken Ham's position, a totally religious person can utterly fail to understand it. Symbols and the groups which use them have both an exoteric and esoteric side, or outer and inner mysteries, so perhaps Ken Ham is only aware of the outer mysteries.

Quote:
And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and hearing they might not understand.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2014, 9:23 pm

^
You can take that tack: take a cue from Carl Jung, and do an end-run around both the Fundies, and Darwin.

Actually the prevelence of and almost (but not quite) universality of flood myths in cultures around the World may have more to do with something universal in the human psyche than with either a real global flood, or with memories of different local regional real floods. Its tempting to suggest that its a species memory of having evolved from fish in the sea eons ago. But more likely it has to do with the time we all spend gestating in the womb suspended in salt water.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 2:40 am

naturalplastic wrote:
^
You can take that tack: take a cue from Carl Jung, and do an end-run around both the Fundies, and Darwin.

Actually the prevelence of and almost (but not quite) universality of flood myths in cultures around the World may have more to do with something universal in the human psyche than with either a real global flood, or with memories of different local regional real floods. Its tempting to suggest that its a species memory of having evolved from fish in the sea eons ago. But more likely it has to do with the time we all spend gestating in the womb suspended in salt water.

Or it could simply be due to the fact that floods are very common. Therefore, the different local regional flood myths could simply have their origins in different local floods at their respective locations but obviously do not describe the same event as believed by the fundies.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 3:12 am

Heaven forbid any other mythological stories get debunked by science if every single fairytale in the bible gets debunked would god still be real to those believers? Riddle me that!Btw heres Ken Hams take on everything and defeating himself in 90 seconds! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdXHktAAOcc[/youtube]Bill Nye won!

tern
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2014, 12:05 pm

This was Noah for British kids in the seventies. :lol: Check out those animals, how did they go to the loo? :?: :oops:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkN2_NYuRgg[/youtube]

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 12:13 pm

^^ Now I know where Catdog was born! [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TA6MMC12uDQ[/youtube] :lol:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Jun 2014, 1:38 pm

sly279 wrote:
I'm not stupid when it comes to science.
can you prove the big bang, no.
Science use to be an accepting ever changing thing, we use to be able to challenge stuff, not its not ok to do so and science must attack any who think differently. Christianity saved science back in the black ages

These statements are contradictory.

Others have already pointed out that we can prove that the Big Bang happened. We can't prove that it wasn't started by some otherworldly Prime Mover, but that's entirely besides the point.

Science is still an ever changing thing, and scientists still challenge ideas all the time. However, as always, you need to have evidence to support your views if you want to be taken seriously by a scientist.

Christianity did not save science in the Dark Ages. I believe you have that precisely backwards. Islamic scholars re-introduced the writings of Aristotle to the West, and whilst some Christian scholars (like Aquinas) ran with these some of the way, they didn't adopt the scientific method and indeed had a similar attitude towards Aristotle as they did towards the Bible. I could point fingers at Galileo, but... oh, hell with it, Galileo!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 1:42 pm

Bill Nye is not breaking people on the rack, nor burning them at the stake, for criticizing science!

He is just pointing out the obvious problems that the Noah story has with external logic.

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 9:19 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
Christianity did not save science in the Dark Ages. I believe you have that precisely backwards. Islamic scholars re-introduced the writings of Aristotle to the West, and whilst some Christian scholars (like Aquinas) ran with these some of the way, they didn't adopt the scientific method and indeed had a similar attitude towards Aristotle as they did towards the Bible. I could point fingers at Galileo, but... oh, hell with it, Galileo!

Aristotlean philosophy held back scientific discovery for centuries, but yes you are quite correct that until Ghengis Khan the cradle of invention and learning was the Islamic and Chinese worlds. Historians blame khan for Islamic descent into madness as he killed off all the intellectual elite and razed their libraries.

But hey why let history get in the way of indoctrination. Let's continue to believe the Jews not the Romans killed the Christ, Islam has offered the world noting but torment, and the Christians in every way possible have been a beneficial force on this planet, yet have received only persecution for their good deeds. :roll:

"Religion is the impotence of the human mind to deal with occurrences it cannot understand" Karl Marx

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 1:35 am

DentArthurDent wrote:

But hey why let history get in the way of indoctrination. Let's continue to believe the Jews not the Romans killed the Christ, Islam has offered the world noting but torment, and the Christians in every way possible have been a beneficial force on this planet, yet have received only persecution for their good deeds. :roll:

Islam had a promising beginning but its light was snuffed by the religious fanatics in our 12 th or 13 th century.

Keep in mind that Muslim Mathematicians invented algebra, kept the books of Euclid alive and introduced many scientific innovations. But eventually the religious crazies in the Islamic domains turned the lights off.

ruveyn

DentArthurDent
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 6:37 am

Ruveyn that is what I am saying. The religious fanatics gained control after the destruction wrought by Genghis Khan. If he had not gone on the planets most murderous rampage who knows where we would be today, quite possibly we would not have heard of beheadings accompanied by the chant Allāhu Akbar.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Jun 2014, 7:06 am

DentArthurDent wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Aristotlean philosophy held back scientific discovery for centuries,

Hence the section in bold ;)

Aristotle did lay the foundations of empiricism, even if his assumptions were often laughable and his followers weren't prepared to challenge them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 8:07 am

The_Walrus wrote:
DentArthurDent wrote:
The_Walrus wrote:

Aristotlean philosophy held back scientific discovery for centuries,

Hence the section in bold ;)

Aristotle did lay the foundations of empiricism, even if his assumptions were often laughable and his followers weren't prepared to challenge them.

Thats the irony. Aristotle ssid "study nature', and "observe". But his medeaval followers didnt study nature. They just studied Aristotle.