Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 8:51 am

The_Walrus wrote:
zer0netgain wrote:
There are a lot of things I freely disregard because I know it is only enforced on certain classes of people when it's supposed to apply to everyone. I feel no moral conflict in disobeying such "laws."

Are you married?

I don't see why it matters, but no, I'm not.

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 9:19 am

I am socially conditioned into doing "good". I am so virtuous and kind that people like me for it.

A sociopath family member often lectures me on seeing the world as "for the taking". This person will comfortably break unwritten rules, because generally unwritten rules can be excused as "Oh, well I didn't know ...".

For example, a hotel had coupon books for newly checked-in guests, and there is an unwritten rule of one per guest.

This person implicitly knows this rule, and does not ask to have it clarified. Rather, this person waits until the receptionist leaves, and grabs all the books.

If caught, the person would just say, "Oh, really? One per guest ? OK. Well, I know now ". (Though, the person would disregard such knowledge per a future event).

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

In the UK in the early 90's people were sent to prison for not paying the Poll Tax, which was deemed by most people to be an unfair tax that many could not afford to pay. But the law said they were criminals for not paying and they were sent to prison. But years later the European courts overruled the sentences and those imprisoned people were given compensation.

Most laws are there for a reason and we all agree they need to be there, but sometimes a law is suspect.

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 6:20 am

I think it's okay to break the law as long as it makes sense.

Smoking marijuana is illegal but the mere act of smoking marijuana causes no one harm except for possibly yourself.

Buying marijuana from drug dealers who have gotten it through sketchy sources is a more difficult ethical question.

Breaking the law is fine, as long as you don't hurt anyone other than yourself. You must be willing to accept going to prison though......

heavenlyabyss
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 6:22 am

Case in point...don't talk back to police offers. They are corrupt but if you don't want to go to prison, play nice.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 4:40 pm

In my opinion it depends on the law.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2014, 8:33 pm

thinkinginpictures wrote:
I use to be a law-abiding citizen. But since society continues to ignore my values, I feel inclined to think (and speak out loud):
"I don't care about what society wants of me. I don't want to become part of society's rules and regulations. I will do whatever that please me and
my values, regardless of what the law says, and break the law if neccessary and only think twice if I am running a risk of punishment."

I am not an anarchist. But I do have my own rules, which basically is to find The Ultimate Truth.
I don't want to go into details about my beliefs, in this thread, because it is not what this topic is about.

It is about wether one should break the law, if that is what correlates most with one's values.

Remember, that smuggling jews out of Danish territory was a crime in the 1940's during the nazi-occupation.
People did it, because they felt it was the right thing.

No human can find the Ultimate Truth. Our senses are band width limited and our best instruments are 15 orders of magnitude removed from P:lanck Length.

ruveyn

SinewStew
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

04 Jun 2014, 11:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
In antebellum times, aiding and abetting escaped slaves was most certainly the right thing to do, even though it was highly illegal. During the civil rights era, the freedom riders and other champions for civil rights had violated the law concerning eating or going sh*t where ever they liked in the south, but it was the right thing to do.

You nailed it.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2014, 4:39 am

I don't even know if it's ok to break the law or not.

All I know is, it's best not to get caught.

aspie_comic_nerd

06 Jun 2014, 12:47 am

First of all, yes, if it means your survival and well being. It's ok to break the law if you are stealing/shop lifting food to feed yourself or your family. It's not your fault if can't get a job because of the bad enomony, your disability, being laid off or lack of jobs in the local labor market. Also our society has trained people to
It's NOT OK to break the law by shop lifting something such as a video game just because you want it and don't have enough money.

These are just two examples. Breaking the law in certain situations can be subjective. Everyone has the right to live and to be healthy.

There's also the political side of things like Corporations and Lobbyists changing or bending the laws in their favor by forcing people in the welfare state and poverty; while at the same time manipulating these same people to be dependent on the grocery stores rather growing your own food and buying things they don't need and can't afford. Poverty kills more people than terrorism and homicide combined.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 2:21 am

thinkinginpictures wrote:
I use to be a law-abiding citizen. But since society continues to ignore my values, I feel inclined to think (and speak out loud):
"I don't care about what society wants of me. I don't want to become part of society's rules and regulations. I will do whatever that please me and
my values, regardless of what the law says, and break the law if neccessary and only think twice if I am running a risk of punishment."

I am not an anarchist. But I do have my own rules, which basically is to find The Ultimate Truth.
I don't want to go into details about my beliefs, in this thread, because it is not what this topic is about.

It is about wether one should break the law, if that is what correlates most with one's values.

Remember, that smuggling jews out of Danish territory was a crime in the 1940's during the nazi-occupation.
People did it, because they felt it was the right thing.

Right.

But if you tried to smuggle Jews out of Danish territory today, it might turn out differently. :D

It sounds like you're also saying you'll go for a walk at midnight if it pleases you, regardless of what others think. I'd say go for it.

Just try to be considerate of other people, whenever you do your own trip. :)

EDIT: To change "lso" to "also" in the above line.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2014, 2:34 am

Sometimes it is a good thing to break the law especially if the laws a re old and out dated.

Breaking certain laws can bring about positive change.

iamnotaparakeet
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 4:30 pm

If a law would require wrongdoing, then it is better to be a lawbreaker. Breaking laws just to break them however,... that is not cool.